Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Martman posted:

Yeah but 150 pounds 600 years ago was less than it is today due to weight inflation.

Nay, the opposite, I'm pretty sure 150 pounds 600 years ago could buy several fiefdoms brimming with serfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

icantfindaname posted:

the English were killing fully armored French knights at range with 150+ pound bows back in the 1400s, i don't see how that's very impressive. the Mongols shot 100 pound bows from horseback. of course some weakling like Rambo would only be able to do 90

130 pound actor not a knarled up country folk with a plougmans fingers.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just came back from the Mockingjay and it's one of the most drawn out and frustrating movies I've ever seen. I haven't read the books but it seems splitting the final book into two movies was a mistake. Also, nothing happens that couldn't have been done in 20 minutes or less, no need for a 140 minute movie. Also, way to give away the one and ONLY scene where the MC is proactive and semi-competent in the trailers!

Donald Sutherland saved the movie for me, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 15, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
This movie did a piss poor job of letting me know Finnick and Gale were two different people until the very end when they're on screen together. Its been a year since the last Hunger Games, guys, spend five seconds reminding audiences who the characters are.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I thought the fact that they were played by different actors was a pretty good indicator that they weren't the same character.

Seriously though, do you think they look that much alike? I feel like Finnick's actor has a pretty distinctive face.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Guy A. Person posted:

Seriously though, do you think they look that much alike? I feel like Finnick's actor has a pretty distinctive face.

Its mostly than I didn't expect them to be two different people and they were never on-screen together until the end of the movie, so it never registered that they were two different people. I actually spent a good two minutes wondering why Gale was making the prop when they said he volunteered to rescue Peeta.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Its mostly than I didn't expect them to be two different people and they were never on-screen together until the end of the movie, so it never registered that they were two different people. I actually spent a good two minutes wondering why Gale was making the prop when they said he volunteered to rescue Peeta.

Have you seen any of the others? I can't imagine this is a complaint for many people and they certainly shouldn't have to expect to have to explain who the characters are, especially two of the male leads, in the third movie of a four-movie series.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

flashy_mcflash posted:

Have you seen any of the others? I can't imagine this is a complaint for many people and they certainly shouldn't have to expect to have to explain who the characters are, especially two of the male leads, in the third movie of a four-movie series.

Like I said, its been a year since I've seen the second one and two years since I've seen the first. Both guys are of the same smoldering Twilight type so its very easy for someone who's not paying close attention to assume they're the same person.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

They look, sound, and act completely different from one another.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
He's probably one of the people who couldn't tell Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon apart in The Departed. I thought that Arrested Development made up "face blindness" but it's obviously very real.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Irish Joe is a terrible poster, just ignore him and what he has to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irish Joe posted:

If your usual antics don't put you on the spectrum, not recognizing faces should.

• Locked thread