Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

pik_d posted:

Also I enjoyed James May in India, shame it was only three episodes for such a large country, but they were good fun.

:same:

That Maharajas Express was wild. Nothing like the true Indian experience: a 7 day, $7,000 train ride in opulence through a developing country surrounded only by more rich white Brits. (James gets a pass)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sand Job is out. I'm about 2/3 through. Pretty great so far, but there are a few bits where they've manufactured a crisis for no reason when there are already problems.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I don't understand why shows like this do this. A fake loving mine field seriously? The best episodes of top gear were just buying a poo poo car and hanging out loving around driving. I know they have to write and plan something or there is a good chance they go to a shithole and come back with footage for half an episode but manufacturing life/death scenarios isn't entertaining. It is the reason 3/4 of what is on the internet is loving terrible poo poo now.

there must be enough reasonable people left in the world that you can REALLY do something and not lie about it. I literally know there is because I watch it on youtube all the time.

2.7M views in 2 weeks on a guy doing the same zero stakes thing hes been doing for years now ffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS4_K5_tHbg

I don't know why I even care any more, except that its annoying that people with a platform are racing to the middle instead of trying.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I liked this a lot more than few of the previous ones. Yes, there were some stupid gimmicks, but the places visited were very interesting, it looked gorgeous and most importantly, James May didn't miss half of the show because he had a shitbox or accident early on, and he also looked like he actually enjoyed making this one.

This time it was all three of them doing stuff, not just a Clarkson-Hammond show featuring James May.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Yeah I liked this one. Was nerding out as much as James was with those old manuscripts.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk
It was fun and really, just turn the brain off for the obviously scripted stuff.

I do like the call backs throughout to OG Top Gear and don't forget to stock up on
British
Embassy
Emergency
Rations
before watching

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah it was nice that they were able to stick together a bit more in this one. It's not fun watching the "two old blokes and them sometimes there's a third guy" show. I want to see all three of them loving around, not one of them being left behind the entire time because their car is hosed. I get the "Richard's car is broken down again, anyway, moving on" bit is their schtick, but it's boring when it's the entire episode. James not being around at all for the last couple because he was injured in that stupid tunnel challenge or because his car didn't work and couldn't even go fast enough when it did work sucked rear end.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yeah, especially if your feature is mostly "visiting interesting places" and the only presenter who could make that interesting is the one that isn't participating.

Its apparent from the Our man in India with all of its 3 episodes that James May is likely to take that retirement from regular appearances he has been saying every now and then, but sidelining him in Grand Tours makes them just plain boring.

And it will be sad day indeed; May can make reading and commenting on a phone book from 70's interesting TV, whereas I have no interest in 95% of what Hammond is doing. That car restoration show is OK, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol'd at :frogout:

^^ I have to say, Richard's particular flavor of turns of phrase really tickle me, especially when he and Jeremy are riffing off each other. Their repartee at the minefield was great.

People say he's dispensable but I will defend him. He tries so hard to make it seem convincing that he knows how to wrench

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree that Richard definitely is good at getting someone to tell him what to do and then do it in front of camera. I don't mean to disparage him, but I assume that's what had to have happened with the computer hooked up to the Aston. He went from "ah, this is power steering fluid, but I don't know what to do about that." to "there is probably a wire in here somewhere that's messed up, so I'll just keep staring at the engine bay" to "Ah, the battery cable was loose" and then he suddenly has a laptop with diagnostic software that he knows how to use. I highly doubt you need to be on the internet to use that software, so I assume when he said they finally got wifi, that means they called up someone and they walked him through how to use the software and clear all the codes to get the ECU to stop freaking out.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

I agree that Richard definitely is good at getting someone to tell him what to do and then do it in front of camera. I don't mean to disparage him, but I assume that's what had to have happened with the computer hooked up to the Aston. He went from "ah, this is power steering fluid, but I don't know what to do about that." to "there is probably a wire in here somewhere that's messed up, so I'll just keep staring at the engine bay" to "Ah, the battery cable was loose" and then he suddenly has a laptop with diagnostic software that he knows how to use. I highly doubt you need to be on the internet to use that software, so I assume when he said they finally got wifi, that means they called up someone and they walked him through how to use the software and clear all the codes to get the ECU to stop freaking out.

Hammond is the only one out of the trio that "runs" a workshop, i would guess the help for the ECU came from there, along some basics out of osmosis.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I swear they just record them in a booth saying "That is remarkable" "I've never seen anything like that" "Would you look at that" and then overlay it over random b roll footage.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I really liked the comically long shot of the comically long train.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I kept thinking "OK drone guy, you loving BETTER get this shot right, it is going to cost an absolute fuckton if we have to redo it"

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
Wasn't amazing or anything, but I was entertained.

Wonder if they have something really special planned for what I assume will be their last episode? And maybe the last time they work together.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I kept thinking "OK drone guy, you loving BETTER get this shot right, it is going to cost an absolute fuckton if we have to redo it"

... and the operator almost messes it up by losing the train when switching position. Someone didn't remember to use the direction lock on the camera.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

cdc posted:

Wasn't amazing or anything, but I was entertained.

Wonder if they have something really special planned for what I assume will be their last episode? And maybe the last time they work together.

Hammond said in an interview the next one is one of his favourite ever

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Mr Beens posted:

Sounds good. They have been providing us with top notch entertainment for 20+ years, lets hope they go out on a high note.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean of course he would say that

But I said I would defend him so I will

cdc
May 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I mean of course he would say that

Yeah, would be strange if he went out with "this last one is poo poo, don't watch it"

Oh, well. Lets hope for the best.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Mr Beens posted:

They're driving off a cliff, Thelma and Louise style. Calling it now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CornHolio posted:

"Let's just keep going, James!"

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Budgie posted:

That was great.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

CornHolio posted:

Probably will be more like the ending of The Great Escape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdC1FHi5Xak&t=26s

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Naw, ending of Grease.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Cat Hatter posted:

"Let's just keep going, James!"

See you in Spain, lads

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If they are doing a gimmick ending, then it'll be The Italian Job.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If they are doing a gimmick ending, then it'll be The Italian Job.

While the Marky Mark remake is an incredibly guilty pleasure of mine, I'm sure you mean the original... and yes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I think one of my favorite parts of Top Gear/The Grand Tour is when they modify cars do batshit insane levels. They've done carboats so many times but each time my inner child is overjoyed. :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It was pretty transparent (lol) that the plastic bottles weren't a functional component of the rafts at all (they were just bobbing around independent of the main mass of each), but it was funny anyway because we got to see them all wallowing around in the mud and James almost going down with the van, he had to step pretty lively there

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Budgie posted:

Yeah that was fantastic.

The fake stuff is annoying, but I do love the amazing scenery and cool library bit.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
also lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03hhQr1PxZU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
The only bit I didn't really like was the added snowmobiles / whatever the other thing was called. Yes clearly they added hydraulics for these, and a bunch of other work, and it was dumb and it was all removed afterward. Though the snowmobile coming off and showing uo later had me rolling.

I always appreciate seeing if the cars can just do the job without any added fuckery.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder how much of Richard's car loving up was from them adding the cultivator and hydraulics to it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As soon as it started kicking up rocks I was like "ok that's the end of that radiator"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The blatantly scripted hijinks sucked. The Oh hey look at this cool place! very much didn't.

There are a few youtube videos about that train that are amazing and well worth finding.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I am in awe of how Clarkson looks 10 months pregnant.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I am in awe of how Clarkson looks 10 months pregnant.

With triplets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

SlowBloke posted:

Hammond is the only one out of the trio that "runs" a workshop, i would guess the help for the ECU came from there, along some basics out of osmosis.

Trying to solve can bus issues in the dessert is loving absolute madness.