Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I can't decide if Jennifer Lawrence is brilliant, or bat poo poo crazy and will crash hard in 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/arts/television/marc-maron-podcast-garage-moving.html

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

That's sort of heartbreaking. What does losing the garage do for the listening experience of this podcast except diminish it?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Maron had two actors with books in back-to-back episodes with Nolte and Penn, and they couldn't have been any different. Nolte was engaging and just rambled on about whatever. Maybe not the most straight-forward episode, but still entertaining. Penn just came across as humorless and insufferable, and there may be nothing less that I want to read than a Sean Penn novel.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Twin Cinema posted:

Penn just came across as humorless and insufferable

you don't say

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

piratepilates posted:

you don't say

Haha, you are right. I am not surprised, really. Well, maybe just to the extent of how humorless and insufferable he actually is. I thought there'd be some moments of levity -- but nope.

Love Marc's opening of "I don't know what I expected".

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Mitzi Shore died.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Mitzi Shore died.

I didn't expect this news to bum me out, but it did.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Paulie has re-dedicated the rest of his life to cumming all over comedy club furnishings in her memory.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Apoplexy posted:

Paulie has re-dedicated the rest of his life to cumming all over comedy club furnishings in her memory.

And Louis is gonna do the same to the employees

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Wasn't Mitzi generally considered a piece of poo poo?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Odddzy posted:

Wasn't Mitzi generally considered a piece of poo poo?

She was super difficult but apparently helped a lot of people get their breaks so the reactions are probably going to be largely positive

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

She was super difficult but apparently helped a lot of people get their breaks so the reactions are probably going to be largely positive

I know she had a mansion and puchased a new corvette at the same time the comedians that did sets for her wanted to start a union because they were doing unpaid everything.

Also, her son Pauly Shore had appartments bought by her around the Comedy Store and charged a lot of cash to his comedian buddies to stay there. If they weren't interested or moved out. They could have a hard time getting sets at the club afterwards.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo that Drew Carey interview was something. I wasn't expecting such turmoil in his life. Kinda reminded me of Dana Carvey's WTF interview, really opened up a side to the person that I never expected.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Drew Carey was Nerdist’s first interview. I recall it being pretty awesome as well.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was listening to the anthony bourdain re release from 2011. It's really engaging, marc seems really into it as well. I realise he has become a bit formulaic (but I suppose that was always going to happen eventually).

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
i hate going to the loving post office

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's a surprisingly good interview with Jay Leno. There's a lot of comics who have always had a kind of reverence for the early career of that guy and couldn't understand what he had become, but it seemed to me that he just had an opportunity to earn a ton of money and took it instead of working comedy clubs all the time. I guess his journey is essentially the exact same as Letterman's was, it's just one of them is well-regarded.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DrVenkman posted:

It's a surprisingly good interview with Jay Leno. There's a lot of comics who have always had a kind of reverence for the early career of that guy and couldn't understand what he had become, but it seemed to me that he just had an opportunity to earn a ton of money and took it instead of working comedy clubs all the time. I guess his journey is essentially the exact same as Letterman's was, it's just one of them is well-regarded.

I think it was a good interview as well, considering how many people seem to hate him for being a "company man". His explanation for Hicks' hate for him made sense, especially after Hicks' spot got canned on Letterman soon afterwards.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I had thought that Maron already had Leno on WTF, but I was thinking about his appearance on Joe Rogan’s podcast. That was a pretty good interview as well, even though it covered a lot of the same material.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
It’s the first wtf I have listens to in a long time. The last ones I tried were always Marc interviewing actors and going down an IMDb list, and i turned it off before the end.
But with Leno he has a specific common history to talk about and it becomes very interesting. And there’s always good stories with comics.
I guess the only guys he needs to get on now are John Stewart (hates him?) and Seinfeld (might happen if he runs out of comics for his comedians in cars. I wonder what car he’ll get for maron).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

mrfart posted:

It’s the first wtf I have listens to in a long time. The last ones I tried were always Marc interviewing actors and going down an IMDb list, and i turned it off before the end.
But with Leno he has a specific common history to talk about and it becomes very interesting. And there’s always good stories with comics.
I guess the only guys he needs to get on now are John Stewart (hates him?) and Seinfeld (might happen if he runs out of comics for his comedians in cars. I wonder what car he’ll get for maron).

It's never going to happen with Stewart.

quote:

“Jon always represented to me why I was failing. I’m a smart Jewish guy, we’re about the same age, and yet… He’s very calculated, you know? He knew where he wanted to go and how to align himself, whereas I always saw agents and managers as the enemies – the suits. I had a lot of ‘gently caress you’ in me. I come from that dumb rebel mindset. So when I’d see him [in the 90s and 00s], I’d act like he was personally destroying me,” he says.

As Maron floundered throughout the 90s, Stewart started getting TV slots, including a talkshow on MTV, and when he’d come to see Maron perform in comedy clubs, Maron would heckle him from the stage: “Oh, there he is, Jon Stewart from MTV. How does that feel, you sell-out gently caress?”

Nonetheless, Stewart invited him to appear on his various pre-Daily Show TV programmes, and Maron would turn up and sneer, “Oh, so you’re the big shot, huh? Mr Big Guy?” Eventually, after years of this, Stewart got fed up and, backstage at an event, as Maron started in on him again, he said, “Why do you talk to me like this? I don’t need to take this from you any more,” and walked away.

Maron admits now he was “horrible” and “Jon didn’t deserve all that”, but his attempts to reconnect with Stewart have been rebuffed. Does he regret his behaviour? He laughs. “No, I don’t regret it! It was who I was.”

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I feel like enough time has passed, and frankly Stewart's been away from the limelight for awhile, barring his pop ups on Colbert, that a WTF appearance doesn't seem as impossible as it was a few years ago. Maron has performed a 180 personality wise since starting the podcast.

Seinfeld would be boring as hell; he is so far up his own rear end now that he can't even see daylight.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

That quote was from this year. I assume at this point though that Maron has probably given up on trying to get hold of Stewart.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I’m pretty sure there was some sort of encounter or communication between the two just a short time ago (like within a year or a few) where Stewart basically told him to gently caress off, so I don’t think he’s quite ready to forgive just yet.

I might be mixing that up with when Jon Stewart told Anthony Cumia to gently caress himself at the Cellar a year or two ago, but I think they were two separate incidents.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I have read and heard Maron talking about the same sort of thing with Stewart going back to when WTF first kind of blew up so assumed that quote was from awhile back. If it was this year then clearly things aren't better, so :shrug: . In short, Marc Maron is a land of contrasts.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Twin Cinema posted:

Maron had two actors with books in back-to-back episodes with Nolte and Penn, and they couldn't have been any different. Nolte was engaging and just rambled on about whatever. Maybe not the most straight-forward episode, but still entertaining. Penn just came across as humorless and insufferable, and there may be nothing less that I want to read than a Sean Penn novel.

Yeah I just gave this a try. The way he talks reminded me of his book, like every sentence comes with some cherry-picked word from the thesaurus. Switched it off after 10 min tbh.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

mike12345 posted:

Yeah I just gave this a try. The way he talks reminded me of his book, like every sentence comes with some cherry-picked word from the thesaurus. Switched it off after 10 min tbh.

It isn't good and in Maron's later interview with Josh Brolin he indicates that it was sort of difficult, though he did supposedly get him to lighten up towards the end.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Loving Sir Paul McCarthy’s impersonation of various African characters on the latst one. He’s doing the accent and everything. pretty great

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mike12345 posted:

A friend of mine reveiews books for a local arts paper and GoodReads and said it was absolute dogshit, and it was largely incoherent.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Marc had a pretty good chat with Anna Faris. They have a kind of chemistry that he doesn't usually get with most guests. Though, that moment when she almost talked about her thoughts on childbirth and religion seeing meant she was clearly about to dunk on Chris Pratt, who is very much on the religious side of things. I understand why she didn't do it though.

The last few weeks have been pretty good I think. He might not have had the biggest names on but he's been having a lot of interesting chats.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm not a regular listener anymore but the Charles Demers episode was great. He's a hilarious standup and great author and the conversation flowed well. Recommended episode even if you don't know Charlie's work

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, I liked the Demers episode. I have been finding that I enjoy the episodes more with people I have never heard of before, like the recent episodes with Gale Ann Hurd and Luzer Twersky.

Mind you, the Slash episode was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I just listen for the first 10 minutes and then fast forward to the lovely embarrassing white blues guitar riffs at the end.

• Locked thread