Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

just buy inkbird. 1 box.. long battery.. good wifi 4 prongs.. ezpz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I was redirected over here from the general questions thread.. Recently I bought a meat thermometer via my farm share and after reading the instructions for it I found out it has a terrible quirk where it will automatically turn itself off after ten minutes if the temp it is detecting is below 110 F. To me this makes it almost completely useless for doing the long low and slow roasts I bought it for. Can anyone here recommend a meat thermometer that won't just abandon a long roast after ten minutes?
I think almost anything is going to pass that barrier, hopefully. At my parents’ I have a $10 Ikea oven thermometer that has no problem handing that situation

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Thirded. Thermoworks makes great stuff.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
On a whim I decided to chuck a few beef ribs on to the smoker. They seem to turn out best for me when I follow a time-based routine and ignore the thermometer altogether.

Definitely no veggies on that plate.

I guess for me it means less fiddling with the smoker and fussing over what the temperature should be, which results in a tasty end product.

I should have put them on a bit earlier though, because I forgot I was also smoking a few for the dogs, and they eat earlier than I do. No complaints from them at least! I didn't take a photo of the meat because I was too busy nodding and saying "mhm" while eating.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I live in a town with a strong Brazilian population and the meat markets have a lot of very cheap, massive, 4 bone chuck rib sections.

In the tradition they seem to be pretty much universally cooked via moderate direct heat, usually about 18” to 24” above coals until just about falling off the bone.

I’m thinking of trying this out in a couple weeks but I’m wondering what happens if you just do the low and slow smoke route with them?

Are they just too massive and going to take forever? Or is there some detail with the fat content and intra muscular connective tissue that just makes 225 indirect heat a problem? Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If they are chuck ribs, they should cook really similarly to plate ribs. Any of the beef ribs can be cooked low and slow so you shouldn't have a problem.

But yes, they are going to take forever. Well worth it though.