Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
What ya'll want to know? I have a USI stylus on the way, should be here tomorrow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I got mine today too. I really like it but I haven't had much of a chance to just use it yet.

The new material you weather app is slick as hell though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i also bought the tablet and am posting from it

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

hotsauce posted:

What ya'll want to know? I have a USI stylus on the way, should be here tomorrow.

I'm curious how well the stylus works, I see a few on Amazon but obviously none have been tested with this tablet yet.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

pairofdimes posted:

I'm curious how well the stylus works, I see a few on Amazon but obviously none have been tested with this tablet yet.

It won't be here until Friday. Saw this; looks like it works well.

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-tablet-ingenious-stylus-storage-solution/

So far so good, but I sure do miss 120hz refresh...

smr
Dec 18, 2002

One thing this has nailed compared to my Galaxy Tab S7 is simple poo poo like: proper touch rejection. I couldn't enjoy using the Samsung to read in bed because I'd rest it on my forearm as I laid on my side and it would interpret like my arm hair or the bit of flesh that would indent to the screen as touching and reject anything I actually tapped with. Or, worse, interpret it as a touch and make everything go nuts. Swiping around the UI also generally felt like poo poo to me on the Samsung.

Pixel Tab was... absolutely fine at this last night. Just like an iPad. It registers only what I intend to be actual touches 99.999% of the time. Swiping feels fine.

Extremely happy to just have two Pixel OS devices that work smoothly both by themselves and as an ecosystem.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

pairofdimes posted:

Got the pen. Went for the "Made for Fire tablet" one here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ89FPSR

I figured if Amazon pays this Chinese factory to make an OEM device, it's going to work, and it works as you'd suspect. Lag is very minimal and it writes legibly (although I can't). I don't draw but basic sketches are fine with no jaggy lines, etc.

I believe any USI 2.0 one will work, which this one is.

Edit: I find it funny (I think) that this thread continues to be dead. Everyone bitched when Google exited the tablet game, and now that they are back, nobody seems to care. :lol:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tablets are tablets, even in the Apple world they aren’t exactly exciting anymore and have kinda reached a wall of innovation.

FYIW, the LCDs on both the OnePlus Tab and the Pixel tablet kick the poo poo out of the screen in the ipad mini 6.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Tablets are tablets, even in the Apple world they aren’t exactly exciting anymore and have kinda reached a wall of innovation.

FYIW, the LCDs on both the OnePlus Tab and the Pixel tablet kick the poo poo out of the screen in the ipad mini 6.

Indeed. This thing could almost pass as an OLED. It's an insanely nice LCD panel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the black level of the iPad Mini 6 is hilariously bad for its price. It may be color accurate and high density, but it can also only do grey, not black

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

hotsauce posted:

Got the pen. Went for the "Made for Fire tablet" one here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ89FPSR

I figured if Amazon pays this Chinese factory to make an OEM device, it's going to work, and it works as you'd suspect. Lag is very minimal and it writes legibly (although I can't). I don't draw but basic sketches are fine with no jaggy lines, etc.

I believe any USI 2.0 one will work, which this one is.

Edit: I find it funny (I think) that this thread continues to be dead. Everyone bitched when Google exited the tablet game, and now that they are back, nobody seems to care. :lol:

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it works well. I don't really draw or anything either but this seems like it would be fun to try out.

I think there's just not much to say about the tablet, it works well for the basic stuff I've done with it. I still haven't gotten around to actually casting anything to it to see how the speakers sound but I assume it should do its job.

One thing I did notice is a few apps that are installed on my phone show up as "Not available for device" so we'll see if the release gets developers to update their apps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lenovo is launching the next gen Legion Y700 on July 22nd it seems. Hopefully they'll do global availability this time.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Lenovo is launching the next gen Legion Y700 on July 22nd it seems. Hopefully they'll do global availability this time.

The specs for the original model from last year look pretty good, and being a refresh, they should be better this time around. Plus, it's an 8" tablet. I really hope there's a global release for it, but I'm not expecting it...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it's literally all I really want out of an Android Tablet, but I'm not importing it.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Can anyone else with a new Pixel tablet check something for me? In the clock app the option to have an alarm trigger an assistant routine is missing. Googling yields no hits for the Pixel tablet specifically, but people report that option missing if the assistant language is different from the system, but mine are both US English. I'd just like a sanity check.

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 6, 2023

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it's literally all I really want out of an Android Tablet, but I'm not importing it.

I have the import. Painful first days, but drat, a great tablet once you've got it mostly in english, working Play app. All the apps update, everything works lightning fast. Great tablet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Stormangel posted:

Can anyone else with a new Pixel tablet check something for me? In the clock app the option to have an alarm trigger an assistant routine is missing. Googling yields no hits for the Pixel tablet specifically, but people report that option missing if the assistant language is different from the system, but mine are both US English. I'd just like a sanity check.
it's not there on my tablet but is on my phone

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

butt dickus posted:

it's not there on my tablet but is on my phone

Cool, thanks. Maybe that didn't implement that yet, which is stupid because my pixel phone has it and the Nest Hub the tablet partially replaced could do it as well. Google gonna goog.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I picked up the new Nubia Pad 3D (called Leia in the US iirc) which is expensive* but interesting -- it can convert 2D photos and video to glasses-free 3D on the fly, which is a cool gimmick. You need to download the file to the device, so I grab Youtube vids off Newpipe or download other stuff from my Plex, and can then watch in really pretty decent 3D. It also comes with credits for some AI 3D image generation thing and has 3D video chat (if you know someone else who has one.) Gonna be good for long flights.

*although since I got mine they have been bombarding me with offers for like $300 off the original price.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I got mine from GizTop when it first came out. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. GizTop is selling the 8GB 128GB version for $350 vs the $500 launch price. The 12GB 256GB is $400 from $600. I don't know why you wouldn't need anything more than the SD870. The best I like about it is that screen isn't OLED. Really snappy, use NA play store and everything else. I guess the only reason why I think you might want like a SD8G2 is for high end emulators.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 7, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just not buying something that wasn't officially offered here due to warranty and other localization concerns.

They'll have me as a customer if they sell it, but I'll just keep using the iPad mini and my Pixel Fold if they don't want to bother.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

SlayVus posted:

I got mine from GizTop when it first came out. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. GizTop is selling the 8GB 128GB version for $350 vs the $500 launch price. The 12GB 256GB is $400 from $600. I don't know why you wouldn't need anything more than the SD870. The best I like about it is that screen isn't OLED. Really snappy, use NA play store and everything else. I guess the only reason why I think you might want like a SD8G2 is for high end emulators.

Why is having an OLED display a bad thing

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Why is having an OLED display a bad thing

I don't want to have to worry about burn in. Especially with games since they have so many static elements. I'll leave games running over night.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Burn-in on modern OLED isn't really a thing unless you're like my 75 year old in-laws and run 100% brightness at all times with long screen time outs.

Edit: I missed the "games overnight" part.

I guess I could see that, but you could also drop brightness to almost nothing during inactive times.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 8, 2023

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Burn-in on modern OLED isn't really a thing unless you're like my 75 year old in-laws and run 100% brightness at all times with long screen time outs.
This but then they said they leave them running overnight so I'm less likely to parrot how it shouldn't happen as often

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Looks like my P11 Pro can't run Dawncaster so I'm in the market for the cheapest 10+ inch tablet that can. Is the Fire Max 11 able to sideload the play store? If not, what's the best tablet that could replace my ageing one? Not interested in ipad

Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Is the Fire Max 11 able to sideload the play store?

Thanks!

Afaik yeah

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fire toolbox supports it so it should be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I bought an “alldocube iplay 50 pro nfe” for $130 off Aliexpress. The speaker sucks, but it runs pretty well and I’m really enjoying an 8” travel tablet.

A full size iPad is too big to pull out casually, but this is a nice size for holding with 1 hand.

…do i need to worry about my data on a weird Chinese tablet? Do I need to flash a custom rom or something?