Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like that non-franchise action comedies are making a comeback.

Also that ad rules, kiimo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That rules

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Not an empty quote!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cage posted:

You're the only one implying it and you didn't prove poo poo. :colbert:

it seems we are at an impasse. i guess we will never know the truth.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Great work!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh no, Themes!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
All I can see is dril. Sorry Jack, he owns your likeness now

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That was one of those Mandela effect moments finding out that is where the term bucket list came from.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's one of those things that becomes a cultural artifact not out of its quality but people's reactions to it. Not only is the term bucket list invented by the movie, it also gave us the poo poo eating grin photo of jack Nicholson where a low res version became dril 's avatar

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I swear I remember seeing a trailer for that movie and already knowing what a bucket list was, but maybe I’m fooling myself.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I definitely never recalled hearing the term until the movie came out, even though I don't know for a fact that anyone has actually seen the movie. I guess it was good marketing in that sense, the commercials explained exactly what a bucket list was.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

From a quick Google search it was a shortening of a title, "things to do before i kick the bucket"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

From a quick Google search it was a shortening of a title, "things to do before i kick the bucket"
Right, which I guarantee no one ever said before the movie came out.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Genuinely cannot tell if y'all are doing a bit or what but the OED has 'kick the bucket' existing as an idiom meaning "to die" as far back as 1785.

The entry for bucket list cites 2006 so yes the movie was probably responsible for that phrase.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm talking about the phrase "bucket list" as purely a marketing invention for that movie. Cuz yeah "kick the bucket" is old, I think i first heard it as a kid in a Bugs Bunny cartoon lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The rabbit kicked the bucket, the bucket kicked the rabbit.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The writer literally invented it. If it got out earlier than the film he was the origin like 7 years earlier.

quote:

It was coined by the American and British screenwriter Justin Zackham in 1999 when he drew up “Justin’s List of Things to Do before I Kick the Bucket” which he shortened to “Justin’s Bucket List”. The first item on his list was to have a screenplay produced at a major Hollywood studio. After a few years, it occurred to him that the notion of a “bucket list” could be the basis for a film, so he wrote a screenplay about two dying men racing to complete their own bucket lists with the time they had left, which became the film The Bucket List (2007).[3] The term was then popularized by the film.[1]

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The rabbit kicked the bucket, the bucket kicked the rabbit.
The bucket kicked the rabbit?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bugs Bunny is just going off singing, "The rabbit kicked the bucket, the rabbit kicked the bucket, the bucket kicked the rabbit, the bucket kicked the rabbit, the rabbit kicked the rabbit, the bucket kicked the bucket"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I thought Elmer said "The bucket kicked the wabbit?" at the end, but he just stands there after Bugs zips away.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqpeYSdhcaU
(For those not familiar)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You may be thinking of "Spear and magic helmet?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU