Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Dr Intergalactic posted:

It means everything. It will dictate what trees will thrive in your climate and inform pretty much all your decisions related to the care of your trees.

With that said, welcome to the hobby and good luck with those seeds!

I started in late 2020 (pandemic hobby) and after a few years I'm starting to see the fruits of my labor. It's a long long long timescale hobby, you know, because trees grow slow. :)

There are a lot of great resources out there!

https://bonsaimirai.com/ Is at the forefront of American Bonsai and has a wealth of knowledge on their website, even in the free section. Lots of videos on YT and the like.

https://www.bonsainut.com/ Is a very active forum where you can find a ton of info.

There's also a sea of bad info out there so just go slow, take in as much as you're comfortable with, and don't be afraid to make mistakes!

I'm hopping the Yoshino Cherry will grow well in my area. I'm pretty sure they're the species Japan gifted to the US that are planted in Washington DC, which is just north of me, so I would thinks they'll tolerate the winters.

I suppose I could bring it inside over the winter, I have a plant grow light for my Hibiscus plant (which absolutely will not tolerate the winters here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
Overwintering, depending on your hardiness zone, could be up to 1/3 of the year for your trees. Most broadleaf deciduous trees want to spend the winter dormant, outside. Safe from the wind and hard freezes. Your cherry will want to go dormant and then bud in spring. (They will be very happy there. Cold winters and warm/hot summers)

If I can offer any advice it would be not to fight your climate. Grow what is comfortable there. I'm in 8b so I don't try to grow Larches and other Alpine species that can't tolerate the heat and humidity of a southern summer. Likewise, a lot of popular pines, junipers, and maples just don't grow well (or at all) in zones 9+. Grow what you like but do the research before you waste time and money killing trees that may not like your climate.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I gotcha some great advice from that Bonsai forum.

However, one thing nobody actually mentioned was how I should go about growing the cherry tree seeds I have.

It was stressed that it'll take like 5+ years before they're ready to be, uh, bonsai'd(?), bit my question is, what do I do with them until then?

What size pot should I put them in? A regular pot, or a Bonsai pot?

Regular soil, or that bosai soil stuff that looks like crushed clay?

I don't want to get 5 years down the road and find out I hosed up at the beginning and they grew too big (or didn't grow right, etc).

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Regular normal soil, grow in pots proportionally to their size

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

TheMightyHandful posted:

Regular normal soil, grow in pots proportionally to their size

Yup this is accurate. Also, if you can get them in the ground they'll grow much faster.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Dr Intergalactic posted:

Yup this is accurate. Also, if you can get them in the ground they'll grow much faster.

I live in an apartment, unfortunately.

My mom lives in the area, so I may be able to stick them in her yard. I have 10 seeds, so depending on how many germinate I was gonna give her one anyway.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I see a lot of people doing very silly things with seedlings, but yeah, all you really want to do is try and grow them like normal tree seedlings and get them as big as possible until they're a decent size to work with. Any kind of "bonsaiing" operation reduces the vigor of the tree and means it'll take longer to where you want it to be. The urge to do premature work is very real though.

The only exception to that is if there's something at serious risk of ruining the overall shape of the future bonsai, like two thick branches growing at the same level causing inverse taper. In that case one of them gets the snip.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
honestly you’re best off getting hold of a cherry (or flowering plum, they’re usually hardier and their flowers are 95% the same) and chopping it back/air layering it/etc to get a bonsai.

Even something like a Home Depot tree (end of season sales coming soon, trees for 50% off/etc) will give you a more immediate and hardy pathway to a bonsai and learning bonsai techniques than growing a seedling up and waiting a decade

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ok Comboomer posted:

honestly you’re best off getting hold of a cherry (or flowering plum, they’re usually hardier and their flowers are 95% the same) and chopping it back/air layering it/etc to get a bonsai.

Even something like a Home Depot tree (end of season sales coming soon, trees for 50% off/etc) will give you a more immediate and hardy pathway to a bonsai and learning bonsai techniques than growing a seedling up and waiting a decade

How does chopping back/air layering work?

If the sapling is 4ft tall, I feel like that's a looot of trimming.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Annath posted:

How does chopping back/air layering work?

If the sapling is 4ft tall, I feel like that's a looot of trimming.

that’s what air layering is for, baybeee. And if you’re lucky you can hopefully make something out of the stump

also 3-4ft tall isn’t as much of a limitation as you think if you spend a few years thickening the tree out, you can put some bends and curves in the trunk while it’s still pliable, or/and you think with a bit of a bunjin mindset

a lot of really nice deciduous bonsai in the hobby started out as nursery stock/grafted trees meant for somebody’s lawn

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!
To get a better idea of how it all works, check out this link.

https://bonsai4me.com/developing-informal-upright-trunks-for-deciduous-bonsai/

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I did a silly little project. I had a jade that needed repotting, and a mallsai pot too small for a real plant from back when I didn't know any better. This is the end result.

Obviously not a real bonsai, but it's a neat little novelty to have indoors.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

I did a silly little project. I had a jade that needed repotting, and a mallsai pot too small for a real plant from back when I didn't know any better. This is the end result.

Obviously not a real bonsai, but it's a neat little novelty to have indoors.

what’s “unreal” about this bonsai?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

what’s “unreal” about this bonsai?
Jade isn't a tree, but honestly I'm not that orthodox about the hobby. If someone came to me with that planting I'd call it a bonsai, I'm just insecure about my own work.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i had to give up all mine a while ago but im trying again.. in michigan... in near winter. go team

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i had to give up all mine a while ago but im trying again.. in michigan... in near winter. go team

Good luck! I'm in 8a so we have the opposite climate. I'm doing a fun experiment this year to see how much sun damage mine can take and still live. Trees are weird.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i used to live in zone 9 and most things did fine, nothing sexy worked unless it was indoors though. any of the subtropicals were just fine outdoors year round but anything deciduous got stuck in an old refrigerator for a few months out of the year and werent especially great.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Annath posted:

So, I gotcha some great advice from that Bonsai forum.

However, one thing nobody actually mentioned was how I should go about growing the cherry tree seeds I have.

It was stressed that it'll take like 5+ years before they're ready to be, uh, bonsai'd(?), bit my question is, what do I do with them until then?

What size pot should I put them in? A regular pot, or a Bonsai pot?

Regular soil, or that bosai soil stuff that looks like crushed clay?

I don't want to get 5 years down the road and find out I hosed up at the beginning and they grew too big (or didn't grow right, etc).

So I had these cold stratifying in the fridge and, uh, kinda forgot about them?

I took them out today and stuck them in some little yogurt cups with some soil, hoping to sprout some before putting them in a pot.

Is there any chance they sprout after months in the fridge, or are they pretty much hosed?

They were only like $10 so it's not that big a deal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So you had them in the refrigerator for five months?

That’s not that weird. You stand a decent chance of getting germination.

It’s a finicky species in general though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Platystemon posted:

So you had them in the refrigerator for five months?

That’s not that weird. You stand a decent chance of getting germination.

It’s a finicky species in general though.

I have 10 seeds, hopefully 1 or 2 sprouts.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Annath posted:

I have 10 seeds, hopefully 1 or 2 sprouts.

None sprouted lmao.

I ordered a sapling from the Arbor Day foundation - cheapest place I could find.

They ship 3'-4', so if I can't gradually prune it down to size I'll just keep it in a pot as a pretty-but-small tree :downs:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Annath posted:

None sprouted lmao.

I ordered a sapling from the Arbor Day foundation - cheapest place I could find.

They ship 3'-4', so if I can't gradually prune it down to size I'll just keep it in a pot as a pretty-but-small tree :downs:

Sorry you didn't have any success.

I have never been able to get anything to sprout from packs, mind you I think they're a bit of a scam.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

bessantj posted:

Sorry you didn't have any success.

I have never been able to get anything to sprout from packs, mind you I think they're a bit of a scam.

Probably lol. But it was only $10 for 10 seeds, so not like I was out a lot of money.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Annath posted:

Probably lol. But it was only $10 for 10 seeds, so not like I was out a lot of money.

Yeah they're never heavy on the wallet it's just the crushing disappointment!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I have my eye on a big specimen bloodgood at a local garden liquidator that I think would make a rad omono-to-imperial (prolly closer to five and a half feet when refined) tree.

Everybody seems to hate these for bonsai, the nodes are too long, they’re better as a yard tree, blablabla, but at that size it seems like the strain’s complaints aren’t that much of a problem, right?

I know people poo poo on the idea of “ready made bonsai” but the shape is there, it just needs secondary and tertiary refinement. Worst case Ontario I might grab it anyway and plant it in the yard.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

trilobite terror posted:

I have my eye on a big specimen bloodgood at a local garden liquidator that I think would make a rad omono-to-imperial (prolly closer to five and a half feet when refined) tree.

Everybody seems to hate these for bonsai, the nodes are too long, they’re better as a yard tree, blablabla, but at that size it seems like the strain’s complaints aren’t that much of a problem, right?

I know people poo poo on the idea of “ready made bonsai” but the shape is there, it just needs secondary and tertiary refinement. Worst case Ontario I might grab it anyway and plant it in the yard.

I had to Google "omono" and TIL bonsai don't necessarily have to be little tiny dudes in a pot small enough to sit on a desk.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Annath posted:

I had to Google "omono" and TIL bonsai don't necessarily have to be little tiny dudes in a pot small enough to sit on a desk.

oh yeah, and Imperial-size trees are every bit deserving of the name. Some trees really blend the lines between niwaki (a traditional style of heavily manicured garden tree) and bonsai

and you should check out Vietnamese style bonsai if you want to be really impressed. They’re more influenced by Chinese penjing/bonsai and they’re potted in/on these massive platform trays, often integrating dioramas with scenery and fish ponds, etc

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I think I killed an azalea I potted from the garden.

Any tips for air pockets in the roots? Hard to keep soil in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!
What kind of soil did you use to pot it?

The answer to your question is a chopstick or other small probe like tool.

If you're using an organic mix it may not work as well but if you're using a more granulated/rocky mix you'll find it relatively easy to poke the mix down into all the nooks and crannies.

You'll want to go slow and work the soil in a little at a time once you've got it positioned in the pot. You must be diligent otherwise you're bound to have air pockets.

Many bonsai potting videos will demonstrate this technique.

Hope this helps.