Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
As Kipling said (and my profile quotes) we have fed our sea for a thousand years
And she calls us, still unfed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Trig Discipline posted:

I haven't had a close call with a submarine but the goddamn glass bottom boats full of tourists would come and just hover over us while we were working in Curacao and it pissed us off to no end. For one thing it's a safety issue, but for another thing we don't want tourists seeing us catch fish for research and think it's okay for them to do the same. The methods we use (barrier nets, dip nets, and chemicals while on SCUBA) are straight up illegal for anyone who doesn't have special permission. We're also often negatively buoyant and crawling around on the substrate, so it's not even a good example to set for the tourists for how to dive safely/responsibly.

Also possibly the most terrifying "I'm going to loving die" moment I've ever had on SCUBA was when one of those fuckers went right over us in barely enough water for us to cling to the bottom and have it go over us. I could feel my whole body thrumming with the vibrations from the engine.

Research diving is loads of fun like that in touristy areas. Even when just getting down to the water - I'm sure there are dozens of tour buses worth of photos of my colleagues and I lumbering down the rocks to shore dives by lighthouses. Extra fun when you're overheating in 7 mm of neoprene and a hood on a hot summer day and some rando family of retirees wants to hear all about what you're doing! Fortunately, in those spots, I'm usually just the helper and I can abandon my buddy to her fate of telling them about her work while I happily splash around and cool off in the shallows. There are occasional benefits to mostly working in places that aren't as, uh, scenic.