Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
My partner's aunt is looking to outsource design work for her business. I'm interested, but I've never done freelance stuff before. She asked me my rates, and I totally blanked. I have no idea.

My background: I started a Graphic Design program and changed my degree to Art (no concentration, I was just trying to GTFO at that point). I don't doubt my ability, I just... don't have any professional experience outside of designing album covers and posters for my and my friends' bands, which was mostly done for free or a paltry $50 per cover / poster because... friends.

I have no idea what the industry standard for work is. She gave an example of designing a postcard/mailer for a nail salon. So what does rate mean? $/hour? $/project? I guess I should ask her that. My instinct says I could charge a trial rate of $15/hr, and if she likes my work and wants to continue I'll bump it up. I literally have no idea. I feel... like an idiot.

I just feel an extra layer of anxiety and awkward because I feel like she's doing this as some kind of favor or familial obligation. But maybe I'm overthinking it. I don't know her from Adam.

Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peeches
May 25, 2018

A postcard/ mailer shouldn't take too long, depending on what content she already has ( and assuming you don't need to take photographs etc). Will you be dealing with the printer and mailing list as well?
I would probably charge 25$- 35$an hour and expect to be done in 2 hours with 1 revision. More if you need to write copy and take/edit photos. So maybe 100-125$ that would cover 2 hours and a little extra for dealing with the printer.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

Peeches posted:

A postcard/ mailer shouldn't take too long, depending on what content she already has ( and assuming you don't need to take photographs etc). Will you be dealing with the printer and mailing list as well?
I would probably charge 25$- 35$an hour and expect to be done in 2 hours with 1 revision. More if you need to write copy and take/edit photos. So maybe 100-125$ that would cover 2 hours and a little extra for dealing with the printer.

She has printers, and while I don't know the details, I'm assuming the client already has photos/logos/etc. AFAIK, the only thing I would be dealing with is design. I didn't even think about copy! I'm capable, but that just didn't occur to me. That's how green/unprepared I am.

Thank you SO MUCH for your feedback. You're jogging my memory as to what goes into a product AND giving me invaluable info when it comes to rates / timeline / etc.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GET A CONTRACT. It doesn’t matter that this person is related to your SO. She’s doing work for her business. Get a contract. See my previous posts in this thread re: calculating an hourly rate and writing a basic contract. Grats on landing your first paid design gig!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone asked me to record some corporate Teams meetings for four hours with OBS, which I agreed to. I'll find out more details today, but right now I'm not sure if it's a straight up "record screen and post it to our YouTube page" thing or if they'll ask me to run a powerpoint, do lower third webcam, transitions etc. and cast the virtual cam to the teams meeting or something in between. It's for a larger corporation in the Seattle area. What does this type of work usually charge?

E: it's just a straight up screen capture of a zoom call, my friend is telling me to bill 70-100/hr because they'll be billing the client 100-130/hr most likely. What a bizarre-assed world

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 14, 2020

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Doesn't Zoom have a built in record function...? :confused:

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
How does one go about finding a freelance editor? Is there a place where I can shop around by genre and experience?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You can try Reedsy if it's for a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Looks like ravenkult brought this thread back from the dead, so I'll ask my question here since I'm not sure where else it should go.

I'm currently planning a project that combines my two side business of wildlife photography and 3D miniature printing and will be producing fantasy-themed models based on the wildlife I've photographed. For this project I need an artist to create a series of images like the one I'm attaching to this post. These images will be used by a digital sculptor to create the 3D models, so they need to be accurate in scale and highly detailed. I can provide a ton of reference material since the basis for the models are wildlife I've photographed.

I have so many questions around this though:
1. How long would it take for an artist to produce a single image like this?
2. Consistency of the artwork is really important, but is it reasonable to think a single artist could make 30 or so of these over the course of a couple of months (assuming there's some revision work needed as well)?
3. Is it normal to structure the fee and payout for a project like this based on each image, or would it be more project-based?
4. For work like this, would I automatically be the copyright holder or do I need to work that out with the artist, and is that a controversial thing to ask for?
5. What would you charge as the artist (either for each image or for the entire project)?
6. How easy would it be for another artist to step in and take over producing the same style of image if the original artist I was working with was unable to continue for some reason?
7. Anything else I should be asking here?

Any help/advice would be most appreciated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!