Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Celestial Holdings 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Free Stars: Children of Infinity: part 3: the Wrath of Spathiwa:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

idonotlikepeas posted:

If you want in on a Star Control sequel by the original devs, well, now's the time:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity

(It's already funded, too.)

I had sworn off video game kickstarters, but for this one I'll make an exception.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nemo2342 posted:

I had sworn off video game kickstarters, but for this one I'll make an exception.

:same:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

A good poster posted:

Could they get away with calling it "The Real Star Control 3?"

I was such a confused kid when Star Control 3 came on and had a gorilla.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Back before the the stardock lawsuit, I recall their plan being to make a new star control literally named "star control 3" and pretend the one that already came out never existed.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Why the gently caress has nobody told me that there's a Kickstarter for an English version of the motherfucking GREGORY HORROR SHOW roguelike and a pilot for a new season of the cartoon?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 20, 2024

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Runa, a gorgeous, semi-open world, turn-based JRPG-style game is slightly more than halfway through its kickstarter period. It's already met its basic funding and many of the stretch goals, but the big goal remaining is English voice acting at €300,000. As of this post it's just over €219,000 - about to reach the stretch goal to have Emi Evans (NieR series, Dark Souls...) join as a guest vocalist. I am not associated with the project, I just think it looks neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTtwubaAS5o

quote:

What are the main inspirations for the gameplay and art direction?

- Combat wise, our main inspirations are Persona 5 (UI and fast gameplay) and Final Fantasy X (basic attacks inflicting weakness, flexible turn system).
- Exploration wise, Xenoblade Chronicles and Dragon Quest. We feature some semi-open world maps centered around exploration, as well as more railroaded maps in cities and dungeons.
- Golden Sun is also a huge inspiration for us, and we'll have some features that involve elemental ability based puzzles.

We try to take a bit from some of the games that we love, while also maintaining a strong identity.

It's being built with Unreal Engine 5, and is currently slated only for release on Windows first, but they hope to take it to major consoles as well eventually, although there are no stretch goals for other console ports visible yet.

Some features:
  • Turn-based battles with ordered turns, and elemental affinities designed for a strategical approach.
  • More than 15 romance options, including same-gender relationships. (Note: You cannot choose the gender of the main character, Ivier is fixed as a male. He has his own personality, goals, and story.)
  • Solve a wide variety of elemental riddles, with 7 different elements and 12 elemental skills at your disposal.
  • Build your own base in the city of Enyth by creating and enhancing buildings according to your preferences.
  • Shape your characters using skill points to navigate the different skill trees. Unlock powerful skills by defeating and obtaining Nirits, the elemental spirits that wander the world of Runa.
  • Minigames for fishing, farming, and cooking (funded by reaching stretch goals).
  • Weather & Time: In addition to the natural variety of biomes, the weather changes dynamically in certain areas. The forecast includes sun, wind, rain, storm, and snow.
  • Day and Night cycle: Runa features a day and night cycle with dynamic lighting, providing unique vistas of various cities and overworld maps.
  • Mixed calendar system: Exploring the world comes with complete freedom, but there will be narrative moments where a sense of urgency is required.
  • Hand-painted minimaps.
  • Elaborate dialogue system: You can make decisions in dialogues that will impact the course of your dates, leading to different endings in the character routes.
  • No silent protagonist: Just like that. All the characters will have their own personality, hopes, and dreams, actively engaging in the conversations throughout the journey.

Runa - turn-based fantasy game inspired by JRPG classics
Runa Steam page (for wish-listing)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 2, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ten days to go and they're not even halfway there, probably not gonna happen.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Runa, a gorgeous, semi-open world, turn-based JRPG-style game is slightly more than halfway through its kickstarter period. It's already met its basic funding and many of the stretch goals, but the big goal remaining is English voice acting at €300,000. As of this post it's just over €219,000 - about to reach the stretch goal to have Emi Evans (NieR series, Dark Souls...) join as a guest vocalist. I am not associated with the project, I just think it looks neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTtwubaAS5o

It's being built with Unreal Engine 5, and is currently slated only for release on Windows first, but they hope to take it to major consoles as well eventually, although there are no stretch goals for other console ports visible yet.

Some features:
  • Turn-based battles with ordered turns, and elemental affinities designed for a strategical approach.
  • More than 15 romance options, including same-gender relationships. (Note: You cannot choose the gender of the main character, Ivier is fixed as a male. He has his own personality, goals, and story.)
  • Solve a wide variety of elemental riddles, with 7 different elements and 12 elemental skills at your disposal.
  • Build your own base in the city of Enyth by creating and enhancing buildings according to your preferences.
  • Shape your characters using skill points to navigate the different skill trees. Unlock powerful skills by defeating and obtaining Nirits, the elemental spirits that wander the world of Runa.
  • Minigames for fishing, farming, and cooking (funded by reaching stretch goals).
  • Weather & Time: In addition to the natural variety of biomes, the weather changes dynamically in certain areas. The forecast includes sun, wind, rain, storm, and snow.
  • Day and Night cycle: Runa features a day and night cycle with dynamic lighting, providing unique vistas of various cities and overworld maps.
  • Mixed calendar system: Exploring the world comes with complete freedom, but there will be narrative moments where a sense of urgency is required.
  • Hand-painted minimaps.
  • Elaborate dialogue system: You can make decisions in dialogues that will impact the course of your dates, leading to different endings in the character routes.
  • No silent protagonist: Just like that. All the characters will have their own personality, hopes, and dreams, actively engaging in the conversations throughout the journey.

Runa - turn-based fantasy game inspired by JRPG classics
Runa Steam page (for wish-listing)

A team of three, producing an AAA style fully featured 3D JRPG on a baseline budget of £40k? Unless there's something they're not telling that doesn't seem even slightly possible

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

No Dignity posted:

A team of three, producing an AAA style fully featured 3D JRPG on a baseline budget of £40k? Unless there's something they're not telling that doesn't seem even slightly possible

Ouch, yeah. With that successful a KS there's a reasonable chance they can get a publisher to help out, but the original goal? No chance, not in any reasonable timeframe.

It looks amazing! Just. Oof.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah, they fell into the trap of promising tons of different gameplay systems and saying all the 'right' things to the audience to make the perfect game despite being only a team of 3 people with a very modest goal. It's the sort of game you'd often see in the early years of KS campaigns and they almost always burned out. Looking forward to a few months of nonstop optimistic updates until they realize that they're in way over their head and just disappear.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

mycelia posted:

Ouch, yeah. With that successful a KS there's a reasonable chance they can get a publisher to help out, but the original goal? No chance, not in any reasonable timeframe.

It looks amazing! Just. Oof.

That is very true, it is a concern, but their FAQ does mention that they hope to leverage the kickstarter to approach publishers. Blowing past that funding goal in just 18 hours based mostly on the graphics will help show they have an audience.

quote:

Our main focus is to wisely use this funding for covering the areas in which we are currently more limited. This would mean a noticeable increase in the quality in, for example, character animations. With this campaign as a proof, we will also be able to approach publishers in better conditions, which allows us to have an extra funding to make the game possible and closer to the vision we share.

They also say that they have been working on the game and been posting clips on their Twitter account weekly - some clips go back to 2021 - (although I don't have an account so Twitter can be finicky about what it shows non-users). But in fairness, I have backed projects which turned into lemons before *cough* Starflint *cough*, so I'm not the best judge.

EDIT: I've just posted a few questions in the KS comments page, so I'll see how the devs respond.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 2, 2024

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I mean best case scenario you're financing their Dragon's Den pitch, which still appears to be a AAA Xenoblade-dating sim epic being developed by a team of three. This is the type of game usually made by a professional AAA dev studio over half a decade, and it's taken that long for Toby Fox to not even release half of Deltarune which is much, much humbler in scope. I don't know if it's a scam, but at best its terminally naive

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For something that promised the moon but has somehow so far delivered, Friday Night Funkin released a new Week. It is very impressive in a lot of ways and visually stunning compared to their previous work so far.

Captain Invictus posted:

the Friday Night Funkin' devs have been hard at work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sCZthBLFdg&hd=1

this spot in particular is pretty loving neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sCZthBLFdg&hd=1&t=459s

I'm genuinely shocked it didn't wind up vaporware or result in a massive scandal with the devs running out of money and disintegrating or something. The kickstarter announced a TON of merch for relatively cheap, for a first time dev, and I mostly chipped in for a higher tier(vinyl/tape/cd) as a thank-you for the entertainment I'd gotten from the game and immense amounts of mods from the hilariously huge fan community, completely expecting it to collapse. but no, I got my kickstarter rewards a couple months ago, and with this new week, it shows they're really going hard in upgrading the visuals too, and adding some really loving nice cutscenes. hope they do this much for improving the original weeks as well for the retail release!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

EDIT: I've just posted a few questions in the KS comments page, so I'll see how the devs respond.

Here's what the Runa devs said in response to my questions.

quote:

Hello! Thanks for reaching out with your concerns.

1- We started developing Runa around March 2021. That being said, all three of us had full-time jobs/studies to attend, so we couldn't focus completely on the development. Our plan is to switch to full-time after the campaign, so we can speed up the process. Of course, the plan is to also expand the team with more members, that's also one of the purposes of this campaign.

2- All the systems shown in videos are implemented, as far as the different clips go. There are no scripted sequences and such (except for, of course, the cinematic shots). It's impossible to give an exact percentage of the different systems, but you can think of their state as an expanded vertical slice.

3- We didn't try to approach a publisher in the past, although we were approached by some of them. We had the opportunity, and didn't close a deal until now, because we know that a successful campaign works as a proof of concept and viability, which ensures us more room to count on a better deal.

4- As you suspected, it's not in our plans for the campaign to be our only source of income for the development, so yes, it's sustainable.

Of course, the delivery date for Early Access is still pitched for two and a half years from now, and things could go wrong, but I'm not spending a ton of cash on the campaign, so I'm willing to take a chance.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Well if they say that everything is ok and they can do it on their own and easily hire a team and get publisher support without needing to provide any proof of those ‘talks’ then who are we to doubt it?

Like what did you expect them to say on their funding campaign? Yeah we’re totally over our head and will burn out? The confederate express guys also had really good answers to all our questions.

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 2, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lmao are publishers even taking pitches in one of the most hostile games funding environments of our life times?

edit:

Glad to know I was very wrong about this one

Captain Invictus posted:

For something that promised the moon but has somehow so far delivered, Friday Night Funkin released a new Week. It is very impressive in a lot of ways and visually stunning compared to their previous work so far.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

fez_machine posted:

lmao are publishers even taking pitches in one of the most hostile games funding environments of our life times?

I get the impression it does sometimes happen but I'm not convinced it will here. I've been following the remake/remaster whatever they're calling it of Little Big Adventure, and they managed to get a publisher on board, but it sounds like they went through a lot of rejection and disappointment first, and this is some of the original personnel with an existing IP. (Albeit not the most popular one.) I imagine things will be even rougher for these guys.