Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kuros posted:

FYI the cheapest this has been is $2

I'd say they are worth at least $60 ($70) compared to a lot of the stuff that comes out nowadays. Wasn't Forspoken $70?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

One of the many products of the Dungeon Crawler Jam 2024

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Speaking of might and magic, has anyone played the mmmerge 6/7/8 mod? Is it mostly fun or mostly stupid?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Node posted:

Speaking of might and magic, has anyone played the mmmerge 6/7/8 mod? Is it mostly fun or mostly stupid?

I've played it a ton, it's pretty fun. It's all 3 games in 8's engine, you can have a team of up to 5 and if you use the unlocker option, you can build a team from all 3 games and start in whichever game you want.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Kuros posted:

I've played it a ton, it's pretty fun. It's all 3 games in 8's engine, you can have a team of up to 5 and if you use the unlocker option, you can build a team from all 3 games and start in whichever game you want.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

I saw that it includes an option to make 7 and 8 more difficult, since starting those two with a fully powered team from 6 would make it trivially easy. How's the difficulty throughout?

I also can't seem to find a definitive place to download it at, there are a few revisions of the mod made by people I don't know which one is most relevant.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Node posted:

I saw that it includes an option to make 7 and 8 more difficult, since starting those two with a fully powered team from 6 would make it trivially easy. How's the difficulty throughout?

I also can't seem to find a definitive place to download it at, there are a few revisions of the mod made by people I don't know which one is most relevant.

Bolster is on by default at 100%, as you go between worlds, the monsters will get stronger. You can change the bolster up or down to change the difficulty but it doesn't take affect until the next map load typically. It's also dependent on average party level and what you have equipped. You can still play with a full team or even solo it. I've beat Merge with a solo knight (with a druid that I'd revive for potion making).

Download is here, first post: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/topic/16657

Just to note, there's also mods for Merge itself. I played the MAW mod recently which really pumps up the difficulty. Details here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MightAndMagic/comments/1b9r202/mawmod_for_might_and_magic_merge_released/

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Kuros posted:

Bolster is on by default at 100%, as you go between worlds, the monsters will get stronger. You can change the bolster up or down to change the difficulty but it doesn't take affect until the next map load typically. It's also dependent on average party level and what you have equipped. You can still play with a full team or even solo it. I've beat Merge with a solo knight (with a druid that I'd revive for potion making).

Download is here, first post: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/topic/16657

Just to note, there's also mods for Merge itself. I played the MAW mod recently which really pumps up the difficulty. Details here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MightAndMagic/comments/1b9r202/mawmod_for_might_and_magic_merge_released/

Thanks. I'm not sure about the MAW mod, I don't think I want to play something radically different.

Also, how did you play through three might and magics without fly, town portal, and lloyd's beacon? Did you get followers to cover flying and town portal, and just never relied on beacon? That sounds miserable.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Made it through rapax rift in Wiz 8 and while the area itself was somewhat cool Vi complaining every 20 seconds was not. Will be leaving her behind instead of teleporting in whenever I play again.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Beat the game. Mostly enjoyed it but combat got really bad by the end from a speed standpoint even with speed mods and I dunno if I want to go through the endgame ever again due to that. Fun game overall, though.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Node posted:

Thanks. I'm not sure about the MAW mod, I don't think I want to play something radically different.

Also, how did you play through three might and magics without fly, town portal, and lloyd's beacon? Did you get followers to cover flying and town portal, and just never relied on beacon? That sounds miserable.

Fly, Town Portal and Lloyd's Beacon are still there, just a bit rarer.

Free Haven is probably the best spot to get them, just save before entering the guilds and you can save scum. Followers to cover flying and town portal are still available in their normal spots, just random follows to cover that are harder to find.

However you can have up to 4 followers now. If you get quest followers after having a full set of 4, you can have more, but if you only have 2-3 followers, the quest followers will take up your normal follower spots.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Mr E posted:

Beat the game. Mostly enjoyed it but combat got really bad by the end from a speed standpoint even with speed mods and I dunno if I want to go through the endgame ever again due to that. Fun game overall, though.

I always thought the middle third was the worst [slogging through the swamps before you get the teleport] but that it really picked up after that point.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

I always thought the middle third was the worst [slogging through the swamps before you get the teleport] but that it really picked up after that point.

For sure, it's just the Rapax areas specifically I didn't enjoy very much due to amounts of enemies in groups. May not be as bad now that I know where to go in the castle to become a Templar tho.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is the best way to play dos games still dosbox and d-fend reloaded? D-fend hasn't been updated for almost a decade. I've heard bad things about retroarch.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, the only places I could find are the retrocomputing thread which is focused on the actual hardware, and the emulation thread is consoles.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I don't think the options interface has changed enough that you can't use a 10-year-old frontend with a new version of DOSBox but you'd have to point it to that new version rather than the one it comes with

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

I'm still rocking D-fend myself but I've heard some people say good things about DOSBox Game Launcher and I've been considering that move myself the next time I want to spend a weekend tinkering. I played with it very briefly and was even able to import my D-fend profiles mostly intact.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Launchbox (if you don’t mind spending a negligible amount of money)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Launchbox (if you don’t mind spending a negligible amount of money)

What does it do in this scenario?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Saoshyant posted:

What does it do in this scenario?

It looks real nice and offers a modern interface for launching retro games of all sorts.

I have a cocktail arcade table that uses it and it looks pretty nice. I hear there may be a big DOS game project that uses it very effectively, too.

I have a lot of tolerance for fiddly computer poo poo and I can't really tolerate D-Fend in 2024. Launchbox is nice and it's like $20 for a lifetime license.

e: The Launchbox lifetime license is $75 now. Still worth it if you like retro poo poo imho.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 21, 2024

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Launchbox has sales on their licenses and you don't really need premium if you're not needing their big picture equivalent but I tossed them some cash because I think they're by far the best launcher. It's fairly easy to set up any emulator and the only one that doesn't automatically launch whatever game I'm launching is the 3DO emu I use because I couldn't figure out a launch option or autohotkey to set up to get it to launch correctly. Most stuff you can search "emulator x" on launchbox and get someone that's used it. Also nice for projects like eXoDOS and the offshoots of that since they're auto set up for it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Good thread talking about hand-drawn maps.

https://twitter.com/felipepepe/status/1669930716833132544

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's why Etrian Oddysey was so drat fun.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

speaking of dungeon maps

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2929540/Dragon_Ruins/

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Got a way for folks who haven’t quite got anything from X?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
To read it? I think this should work.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1669930716833132544.html