Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Procedures come back with a bit of practice. I'm sure most flight schools will let you sit in a plane and run through them for a few hours to get things fresh and sharp again.

As for regs the best thing to do is just sit in on those classes again or just read and then talk about them with an instructor or another pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Well a bit of a sad update.

A buddy of mine had an engine failure and off field landing today. Gear caught in the soft soil and flipped over.

Buddy walked away but the plane is probably a write off.

He figures his time in gliders saved his rear end. He knew he would not make the airport so he put it in the field.

Got to tell all his pilot jokes to the ambulance attendant.

I flew down and picked him up. A group are heading down to recover the plane tomorrow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sad would be if the end of that story involved a funeral home. Sucks about the plane but it can be rebuilt or replaced.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I suppose unfortunate would have been more appropriate.

The farmer is going to harvest the beans so that they don't knock any more down during the recovery.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, could have been way worse.

It's too bad BRS chutes aren't more common yet. That probably would have been completely rebuildable and many aircraft insurers will waive the deductible if you pull the big red handle.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The T-18 predates BRS by a lot of years.

The insurer would have covered this damage as well if he had purchased in motion hull insurance.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Update time.

Finished the garage so there is room now for the plane.

You really do strap this plane on. It has a five point harness and you lay pretty flat.

Panel is pretty simple. The white instrument on the right is a vertical speed indicator.

Wings are on the floor to let the saddles dry out.

Garage lighting is pretty good.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

helno posted:

Update time.

Finished the garage so there is room now for the plane.

You really do strap this plane on. It has a five point harness and you lay pretty flat.

Panel is pretty simple. The white instrument on the right is a vertical speed indicator.

Wings are on the floor to let the saddles dry out.

Garage lighting is pretty good.

The fullsize timgs were crashing my phone and tablet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Finally, a fuel tank that makes your wedding tackle part of the crash structure!

(I'm jealous, and redirecting my jealousy to sarcasm.)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MrYenko posted:

Finally, a fuel tank that makes your wedding tackle part of the crash structure!

(I'm jealous, and redirecting my jealousy to sarcasm.)

Never looked at a CriCri or Quickie eh? :-)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

On the Lazair it was directly behind the seat.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Congratulations on the new pane helno. Looks like a fun project!

I keep looking out for an rv7 or 8 as my previous deal fell through. However values I suspect of the good ones will be going up as the UK has just announced permit aircraft will be allowed to fly ifr

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Holy poo poo, helno. What IS that???

This thread is taking me back to my love of Light Sports (RV/Vans). I also really really liked the Cessna Skycatcher, oddly enough.

So, a Monett Moni. Any chance you have a link of similar airplanes so I can get an idea on price? That looks like an awesome thing.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

It is a relatively low performace glider. The Onex is probably the closest non-glider option but it is about half the L/D but is much more powerful.

There are a few newer higher performance gliders that are similar but I don't think any match the aerobatic performance.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
A glider? It looks like it has a place for an engine? Just decoration then?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Oh it is a motorglider. 25hp KFM 107

20:1 isn't going to do all that well off of a tow.

Once I get back home I'll probably start working on the engine. I just need to move all the accessories from the old broken engine to the new Long-block.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Got my rear end in gear this weekend.

Started swapping the reduction drive for the direct drive setup from the old motor.

Getting that pulley off was a pain but I got it off by leaving the engine out in the cold for a few hours and then used a bit of heat.

The old engine came apart much easier.

This is the direct drive front end and the stator for the magneto/alternator.

I also made some new sunvisors for the Cherokee.

Laser cut acrylic and 3d printed ABS mounts.
The old ones were very green tinted.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

More work on the engine this weekend. Mainly torqued the front housing up and swapped the cylinder heads.

Removed the cowl and Canopy/Instrument panel to repair the crack.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Looking good helno,

There is just something about v-tails . They look great.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

They really do.

The sidestick should be interesting to learn.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Got some more work done today.

Mostly just replacing the fuel lines. I am getting rid of all the crappy hose clamps and will use lock wire instead.
I also removed the in-line paper filter since there is an in tank strainer. Might move the pump to improve the routing.

Before

After

Oh and Spoiler alert.

The engine and exhaust are back on.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Is this the appropriate thread for paramotors? Only read last two pages, don't hate me please.

E: Read the OP and yes this is apparently the thread for this stuff.

Content! I am about to close on a purchase of my first paramotoring equipment. Is there anyone in the Oregon area that does this sort of stuff already? I need airbuds.

ChewedFood fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 23, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ChewedFood posted:

Is this the appropriate thread for paramotors? Only read last two pages, don't hate me please.

E: Read the OP and yes this is apparently the thread for this stuff.

Content! I am about to close on a purchase of my first paramotoring equipment. Is there anyone in the Oregon area that does this sort of stuff already? I need airbuds.

What did you get, and where? I'm planning on going to a training thing here before the summer is over, but I'm still a little ways out from being able to buy everything. Not in the Oregon area btw.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

PPG is more than welcome here.

I thought about buying one but it is a bit windy here so much like my old Lazair it limits when I can fly.

Get some flight training even if you have to travel a bit to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Volkerball posted:

What did you get, and where? I'm planning on going to a training thing here before the summer is over, but I'm still a little ways out from being able to buy everything. Not in the Oregon area btw.

I got an entire setup from Kyle at power2flyusa.com. I won't discuss price but mention it if you're military and he'll go all out to make it work for you. He also hosts a school out of Corpus Christi, Texas.

G8 frame and harness, Moster 185 plus, Dudek Universal wing. I convinced him to toss in an hour meter so I could monitor for maintenance better and an exhaust temp meter. Should be to me in two weeks he says. Very good service in my opinion.

I'm taking the cheap route to training since most schools are $1500. I'm going to try to get a ground school for a few hundred dollars and see if that's enough for me to be safe, otherwise I'll be reading as much as I can on safe practices. I've already put in over 20 hours of reading on how to control a paraglider and equipment handling. I'll probably put in another 20 before I even touch my gear. I've gotten a few offers from people to help me out so I don't go crashing and giving everyone a bad rap.

Honestly, I was hoping I would stumble into a group that would help me get training for cheaper. It doesn't seem to be big here in goonland but my work has an amateur airplane group I need to join and maybe I can link up with some paramotor guys there that can help me get the basics down.

I'll upload my first crash here since I have a GoPro.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Tiny update.

So one of my previous posts said that the engine and exhaust were on.

The engine and muffler were installed but the header pipes would not fit. Turns out the port angles on the 30 and 25 hp engines are different so the headers hit the intake manifold.

I bought a set of 25 hp headers and got them before Oshkosh but they are a simple straight 90 and hit the intake even worse.

So I contacted a local aviation fabricator and he was able to come by yesterday to take a look. Rather than taking a bunch of measurements he took a look at how things needed to fit up and simply took the entire engine and exhaust system to make the required changes.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

So I've been following this kid for a while and hoboy does this poo poo look unsafe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6CS-YJ3_VU

At multiple points throughout the video series he says, "Well I looked at some other aircraft and they did it like this so I think it'll be okay!". There's a small part of me that admires him for just going for it but mostly I watch out of morbid fascination, waiting for the report that he's seriously injured himself.

He mentions it in the video, but the flight test he did was basically at night with no indicator lights and he live streamed it. The whole thing looked like an incredible shitshow.

I'd love to hear some critique of his process / design from people who actually know what they're doing.

I get a real "Young and Dumb" vibe from all the videos, but I know nothing about aircraft, so maybe it's all okay?

Tres Burritos fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 1, 2017

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

He... is better prepared than most people who've dove into that. His plane is already better than some plans you can pay for. He is a very, very, good TLAR engineer, and doesn't often get it very wrong.

Each episode shows a lot of learning. While he didn't discuss it, between the night fligth, and yesterdays flight, he taped the wing gaps That alone took the plane from barely flying to solid flying.

... He has had lots of hours training for his PPL. He's got his ultralight, that's actually less than 254lbs. (which can't be said about a lot of them..)

If he did math, he'd knock 10lbs off the plane...

I wouldn't worry much. Peter is safe (mostly) and will provide entertainment for years to come. Just... dont' do what he's doing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

All the problems of multiple engines, with none of the power reserve!

It's probably ok though, because I don't think he has the power even with both motors to leave ground effect.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MrYenko posted:

All the problems of multiple engines, with none of the power reserve!

It's probably ok though, because I don't think he has the power even with both motors to leave ground effect.

He's been out of ground effect. He was out of ground effect before fixing the leaking wing panels. The wing gaps are EXTREMELY important. For a long time GWS sold a plane called the slow stick. It had two wing panels attached at the center, with a gap between them. If you closed the gap, you got something like double the flight time, and a 50% better glide ratio.

It's also worth mentioning, he's running on only 80% of the voltage his motors are designed for. So that's going to get "fixed" too.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I wouldn't want a twin configuration, and I never really heard him talk about what he would do if one went out in flight. You are supposed to throttle down the remaining motor or else this happens and you crash. Personally I would have wanted to measure the thrust as soon as getting the props and motors. It just looks and sounds really marginal.

I was pleased he started doing the crimps the right way once the internet yelled at him.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Even in the latest video it looks pretty marginal power wise.

I bet he could have saved a lot of weight in the fuselage design.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

helno posted:

Even in the latest video it looks pretty marginal power wise.

I bet he could have saved a lot of weight in the fuselage design.

The places weight could be saved are numerous. He's still a totally legal ultralight. Wtih none of the "funny business" that many of the other ultralights do. LIke.. Belite and the removable fairings. Or the other electric ultralights having 5 gallons (volume) of battery...

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
I have a question that is slightly related, and since I'm too cheap to pony up for search this was the first aircraft related thread I found.

Flight training is something that's interested me since I was a kid. Now that Im at a point in life where I have the means to learn to fly, Im seriously thinking about it now. I live in a small rural town in the US. We have a GA airport that pretty much only gets used for medical flights now. The county has been able to contract with a college to start doing some flight training. I don't know what it will cost, but looking at what students pay at their main campus, drat. One thing I thought about was doing something like the Sporty's ground school course, getting that out of the way, and then worry about the actual behind the yoke training whether it be with the college at the local airport or another option. Has anyone gone this route, doing study at home ground school before moving onto the practical portion of learning to fly at a school? Are they gonna make me retake the written stuff over anyways?

Another option I've considered is purchasing an airplane I can learn to fly in. My brother in law trained to be a commercial pilot but went another direction after 9/11 and the airlines going to poo poo. While I don't think he's current, he is a CFI. Ive seen 60's era Pipers and Mooneys in the 20-30k range, current on annuals, but high hours and possibly needing overhauls in the near future. Is this a sensible option or is burning huge piles of cash a better option than getting a plane? I think I could get the BIL to go in on it, maybe half, help him get current again then have him train me in our spare time. What would you say the monthly outlay is for plane ownership between slip rental (not sure what they call this in aviation, but whatever they call parking the plane, doesnt have to be in a hanger, Im sure thats loads more), insurance (Im guessing a a training/new pilot, my insurance is gonna be a lot more), and other incidentals that come out of plane ownership?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Doing the online ground school will at least get a big part of learning out of the way.

Colllege courses tend to be aimed at commercial flying and the small local flight school will probably be better for just learning to fly for fun.

As far as buying a plane goes I would rent while you are learning so that you can beat the poo poo out of someone elses plane. Buy once you have figured out what you want to do with flying.

I spend around 6-10k a year on flying, splitting the fixed costs like maintenance and tie downs with someone else really make ownership a lot easier.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

uli2000 posted:

I have a question that is slightly related, and since I'm too cheap to pony up for search this was the first aircraft related thread I found.

Ask and ye shall receive.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821398&perpage=40&pagenumber=20

Nerobro posted:

The places weight could be saved are numerous. He's still a totally legal ultralight. Wtih none of the "funny business" that many of the other ultralights do. LIke.. Belite and the removable fairings. Or the other electric ultralights having 5 gallons (volume) of battery...

Not arguing his part 103 legality; I just think he has a very poor sense of self preservation.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

uli2000 posted:

airplanes

I spent 20k on an engine overhaul this year, unexpectedly. The engine was mid-time. There is no such thing as a cheap airplane. Purchase price is almost a nonexistent factor when it comes to the actual price of airplane ownership.

However, I plan on being an airplane owner for the rest of my flying life. Can't live without it.

Opinion: Family members make terrible business partners. You don't know that you're really all that into this, yet.

Suggestion: Use 7K to get your pilot's certificate. Once you start taking lessons, the BIL will get the bug again and you can slowly introduce him back into it. After the PPL you can poke holes in the sky by sharing an airplane or finding partners with other pilots in the community.

(Also, once you've taken the written, that's it. However, it expires after 24 months. You need your total certificate by then)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Small update.

Fixed the crack in the canopy. It appears that the canopy was refit on the frame or drilled incorrectly and that was repaired by filling the holes and redrilling. The crack was along a previous crack and went right to a screw hole that was pressing hard against the screw.

So I relaxed the holes slightly to stop the screws from pushing on the sides.

The glue was a methyl methacrylate adhesive with a very fine acrylic powder to use as a filler.

The crack is actually slightly to the left of the previous repair.

• Locked thread