Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh gently caress me. I didn't mention it earlier but my neighbor runs a leather good shop (though I believe a lot of it is outsourced) and I ran the bag thing by him. He shot me down due to them not doing custom work but did offer to let me have some of his scraps. So.....

My wife is not amused about any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Warbird posted:

Oh gently caress me. I didn't mention it earlier but my neighbor runs a leather good shop (though I believe a lot of it is outsourced) and I ran the bag thing by him. He shot me down due to them not doing custom work but did offer to let me have some of his scraps. So.....

Visit the knife and watch threads next!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Warbird posted:

This version would be even simpler, if it helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-gsiX3JaFI

But yeah if you want to PM me we can chat about details, if you'd like.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 2, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

10 Beers posted:

Visit the knife and watch threads next!

Get thee behind me satan

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Warbird posted:

Get thee behind me satan

Um, sir, this is the enablement forum?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wazzup, leather thread!

I have a leather Torpedo Bag strap that's missing a couple of belt holes, but has marks on both sides where the holes were supposed to be punched. What's the best tool for making the holes myself? Would a drill on a low setting work, or should I use a pointed hand tool like a small knife point? Maybe expand the marks a bit on both sides with a knife and then finish with a drill?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

I. M. Gei posted:

Wazzup, leather thread!

I have a leather Torpedo Bag strap that's missing a couple of belt holes, but has marks on both sides where the holes were supposed to be punched. What's the best tool for making the holes myself? Would a drill on a low setting work, or should I use a pointed hand tool like a small knife point? Maybe expand the marks a bit on both sides with a knife and then finish with a drill?

You'd want a leather hole punch, a drill is going to leave an absolute mess of a hole. Hole punches are cheap, but lining up your punch can be tricky cause you're covering it up. I'd mark lines with chalk or something, one down the center of the strap, and one line going width-wise at each punch spot.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Would it be easier or cheaper for me to just take the strap to a leatherwork shop and have a pro punch the holes instead?

I can't imagine they'd charge much for two measly holes. Heck they might do it for free.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How many leatherworking shops do you know?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/hand-tools/punches/20416

most hardware stores have some version of this, which is good enough

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Warbird posted:

How many leatherworking shops do you know?

I live in Texas. There's a few people and places near me that work with leather goods.

I don't know if it matters but I'm only planning to use these holes to put Torpedo's little decorative conchos in. I don't necessarily need the holes themselves to look good since they'll be covered up by the conchos; I just need them to be centered in the right spots.

If possible I'd kinda like to punch a few extra holes equal spaces apart so I can add more conchos, and I think that'd be best done by a leatherworker or someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing better than me.

Javid posted:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/hand-tools/punches/20416

most hardware stores have some version of this, which is good enough

This might work. Does it need to be a plier-type punch, or would something like a regular center punch work?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I. M. Gei posted:

I live in Texas. There's a few people and places near me that work with leather goods.

I don't know if it matters but I'm only planning to use these holes to put Torpedo's little decorative conchos in. I don't necessarily need the holes themselves to look good since they'll be covered up by the conchos; I just need them to be centered in the right spots.

If possible I'd kinda like to punch a few extra holes equal spaces apart so I can add more conchos, and I think that'd be best done by a leatherworker or someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing better than me.

This might work. Does it need to be a plier-type punch, or would something like a regular center punch work?

Your typical center-punch tool just uses brute force to put a dent in the material, and if enough force is used it will force its way through the material to create a hole.

Leather isn't going to react well to that kind of treatment due to the way it's made up of a mass of fibrous, somewhat elastic tissue - you know, skin. It will stretch and rip around the punch and want to close up again (useful for poking needle holes for sewing but not for your purposes).

That rotary punch tool (and other types of leather hole punch making gadgets) are basically cutting a circular hole, in the same way that a paper hole punch does. Remember the three-hole punch you used in school for putting worksheets in a binder? It's actually more like a stamp that cuts the shape (in this case a circle) out of the material. This creates crisp edges that will hold their shape and look much better. It's also way easier than a brute-force punch through because you don't need to work the hole out to the size you want - it's just done right there.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If it were to be utterly hidden, and I didn't wanna go buy a tool for one job... eeeeh, I might do those with a $3.99 brad point 1/8" bit that will at least try to cut a circular hole vs just mash one out

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

I. M. Gei posted:

Whatever tool you use, if you don't cut a clean, correctly sized hole, you're going to either cut the hole uneven/too large and the hardware won't sit right or spin in place, or you'll cut something that's more like a rip, and when you shove something through it, the leather will buckle and won't sit flat.

Do it however you're going to do it, but this sounds like one of those case where you can drive a bunch to spend $20 and have a shop do it for you, $10 for a tool off amazon that you'll use once, or $0 to use a tool you already have that will look like poo poo in the end.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

HolHorsejob posted:

Whatever tool you use, if you don't cut a clean, correctly sized hole, you're going to either cut the hole uneven/too large and the hardware won't sit right or spin in place, or you'll cut something that's more like a rip, and when you shove something through it, the leather will buckle and won't sit flat.

Do it however you're going to do it, but this sounds like one of those case where you can drive a bunch to spend $20 and have a shop do it for you, $10 for a tool off amazon that you'll use once, or $0 to use a tool you already have that will look like poo poo in the end.

Oiiiiiiiii... I think I'd be better off just taking the strap to a shop and get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for me. I might be able to at least measure out and mark some spots for additional holes, but even that feels a little scary to me.

Ideally I could just send the strap back to Torpedo and have them make the holes, but in my experience they're pretty poo poo at replying to emails so I doubt I'd even hear back from them on a simple request.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's for something less than $50... Buy a punch from Amazon, mark the piece with pencil in the dead center where you're going to want the hole, and hit the punch with a hammer. It will be fine.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Alright, I made six holes spaced about 3 inches apart.

Front

Back

... I mean, I think it looks alright for a first try. :shrug:

You can still see remnants from some of the pencil marks I made on the bottom, but other than that I don't think it turned out awful.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Alright, I made six holes spaced about 3 inches apart.

Front

Back

... I mean, I think it looks alright for a first try. :shrug:

You can still see remnants from some of the pencil marks I made on the bottom, but other than that I don't think it turned out awful.

Looks just fine, good work.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Now I just need to figure out what conchos to put on it.

:lol: loving Torpedo sells the same exact conchos you can buy at Michael's for more than double the price. Same brand name and everything. And they only have like 3 or 4 choices to pick from. I guess Torpedo assumes people don't know how to google "conchos".

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 8, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

fuckin thirty-six united states fuckbux

for 5 of these

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Temporarily bringing this thread back to the dead after binging it in it’s entirety. GF wants to make a whole day of the Renaissance Faire this summer and have us and a bunch of friends dress up for it, and I’ve decided I want to make some leather shoulder armor for a kind of barbarian warrior deal.

But this is not that! Because I have never worked with leather before! So I stopped at the Tandy shop down the street to look around and find something basic and simple to start with and learn some things and the lady was very nice and eager to help me get started. I picked out a tri-fold wallet kit, some dye and sealer, and a cool lil stamp. I can see that dyeing definitely takes some practice and patience because mine came out a little splotchy and uneven, the stamp would probably be better served with a bench top press because I only hit it once and still got a rebound bounce and it duplicated the image like a millimeter off. And it took me about half of the project to learn to pay attention to my stitching :v: And I need to practice making my backstitches neater, that’s been difficult for me so far.

Anyway now I have a big double shoulder hunk of cheap veg tan that I’m excited to hack up and practice doing some projects from scratch, and the best part is now I need to go buy some NEW TOOLS

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Very nice! That stitching is way better than it has any business being for your first attempt. Or fifth, for that matter.

Welcome to the craft and a pre-emptive :rip: to your wallet and fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

T-Square posted:

Temporarily bringing this thread back to the dead after binging it in it’s entirety. GF wants to make a whole day of the Renaissance Faire this summer and have us and a bunch of friends dress up for it, and I’ve decided I want to make some leather shoulder armor for a kind of barbarian warrior deal.

But this is not that! Because I have never worked with leather before! So I stopped at the Tandy shop down the street to look around and find something basic and simple to start with and learn some things and the lady was very nice and eager to help me get started. I picked out a tri-fold wallet kit, some dye and sealer, and a cool lil stamp. I can see that dyeing definitely takes some practice and patience because mine came out a little splotchy and uneven, the stamp would probably be better served with a bench top press because I only hit it once and still got a rebound bounce and it duplicated the image like a millimeter off. And it took me about half of the project to learn to pay attention to my stitching :v: And I need to practice making my backstitches neater, that’s been difficult for me so far.

Anyway now I have a big double shoulder hunk of cheap veg tan that I’m excited to hack up and practice doing some projects from scratch, and the best part is now I need to go buy some NEW TOOLS

Yeah good work and good stitching definitely. A Cool Tool to pick up is a leatherworking hammer/mallet with a smooth face, then you can hammer the stitching after you're done, this makes a big difference in how it looks and feels (to me). I ended up just making a leather covering over one of my spare hammers so I also have a hammer with a softer face for various tasks. The joy of these kind of trades is how you can fold them back in on themselves to improve your practices.