Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was reading an article about RLHF and the company SuperAnnotate was mentioned. Hoping over to their careers page takes you to their LinkedIn where they have the job "Creative Writing - AI Data Trainer (Remote)" listed. From what I can tell at a glance from their website this the same thing as the DataAnnotation job but I don't think they are the same company.

Also I believe Taskup.ai is also owned/run by the same people who run DA.

e: The SuperAnnotate position seems to be a full-time job (or at the very least only want people who can work full time:

e2: There doesn't appear to be any posts on reddit asking about working at/for superannotate, but the company does seem to be legit. This might be another good opportunity, especially if they can guarantee minimum hours.

I appreciate the leads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Duderclese posted:

I appreciate the leads!

Yeah of course! I was hoping DA would have been good to more people here cause they've been really good to me. I'm super jealous of the people who can do 2 full time W-2 jobs cause that's not something I can do with my job, even if it was fully remote (it's not) cause I need to focus too much on it. But some days I know my workload is much lower so I've been trying to work from home on those days to double up with DA. If I ever got booted from DA I might try applying for one of those SA jobs if I think I can swing the hours.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My search skills are bad because there is exactly 1 post on Reddit about superannotate made only "1 day" ago from right now. It's on r/beermoney and some people mentioned having to submit a video interview thing?

Apparently there's also https://www.remotasks.com/en and it looks like it's also random gig work that pays $15-$20+ per hour but I'm phone posting now so I didn't look into that any further.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apparently there's also https://www.remotasks.com/en and it looks like it's also random gig work that pays $15-$20+ per hour but I'm phone posting now so I didn't look into that any further.

Saw this post and took a chance on remotasks. I'm going through the assessment stuff in another tab and it's seems like it will take a few hours to complete it all. And it doesn't look like there's any way to pause and come back to it. So, if anyone is going to sign up, do it when you have some time set aside. I wish didn't start it at 10:30pm with a couple of beers in me.

Anyway, so far it's been the usual: Login with Google or FB, verify your ID by scanning your license and face, read a couple security slides, and then start the assessments. They say they're shooting for college-level writing. Solely focused on AI prompts and responses. I'll post again once I've gone through the tests.

For context, I've been doing stuff on Appen for a couple of years now but that's kind of dried up. I'm only on two ongoing projects right now, with the occasional short term thing. We'll see how this goes.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Paying2Lurk posted:

I wish didn't start it at 10:30pm with a couple of beers in me.

Currently right here with ya buddy :respek:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also I believe Taskup.ai is also owned/run by the same people who run DA.

Can confirm it’s the same account and the same “Thanks for taking the starter assessment” page. So once you sign in you’re in the same system even if the web address is different.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I also tried Remotasks, I started trying some of the onboarding/training but it took a while to get the hang of knowing exactly which pixels counted as being inside the box for distant small cars so I redid the training until I got it right. I started a second training task and found myself able to get it right first time every time - however the second task had 16 parts which I didn’t realise until I’d pressed start already. It got really late so I left the tab open intending to finish this morning, and so far that seems to be ok. Edit: completed that onboarding successfully and feel quite pleased at how much better I was doing at the end compared to at the start.

I’ve already been fired from the other kind of task because I didn’t agree with the answer key for which AI generated picture was better or good or bad. I’m not sure how that kind of task is even supposed to work, they classified black blobs and blue smears as “good” when neither looked like what they were supposed to. I think that type of task was too subjective for me and the hints for what kind of answers they expected didn’t align with what the answer key showed once the test actually started.

And to be honest I think I’d rather draw boxes around cars which is training AI to do something useful and tedious rather than doing anything associated with AI “art”.

Edit:
I have been fired from a second project because a reviewer rated most of my answers as "Incorrect", while rating "Good" as the correct answer, for generated/edited images that had very obvious problems and were okay at best. I think there are reviewers abusing the system to make sure newcomers are immediately removed from projects so that there is less competition from tasks. Remotask's policy is that once "the system" removes you, you can't rejoin a project so it seems to be really easily abused. I'm filing a dispute but it seems barely worth it for the few cents I've been paid.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 10, 2024

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I miss having my gig income play money and could get in on this. :smith:

OTOH, I've enjoyed having the time back after 10 years of it, and using downtime to do more fun things.

I also saw this the other day.

https://blog.google/products/search/google-search-update-march-2024/?fbclid=IwAR0OehQMTsLizGDC5z0_9EmakKeyOKvwBAedzQuPSTq6fR5_GToL8MmijXY

quote:

We’re updating our spam policies to keep the lowest-quality content out of Search, like expired websites repurposed as spam repositories by new owners and obituary spam.”

This was WritersDomain/Boostability's entire business model! Every single lovely word press blog was some previous business that went under and they snatched up the URL and replaced it with a blog. I really wonder what the impact will be

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Google has been saying that they’ve been wanting to fix spam for years but they never seem to do that great job of it

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

They did fix it. Now you get all the spam, no limits!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm still here, still getting work through DA. The higher paying ($40+/hour) programming related jobs are still plenty and available to me. Still doing mostly the "review other people" projects but it kind of feels like they have a larger pool of people qualified/vetted to be reviewers now because the tasks go down much faster.

Recently as of a few weeks they've been pushing a lot of Google AI related projects too. Like they straight up say "this is for Google's AI suite" so there is no ambiguity about what AI you're helping to train. Google AI projects are $22-$30/hour.

Recently an article was published on Time.com about data annotation jobs in general and they called out DataAnnotation.tech and Outlier.ai.

Here is Outlier.ai's job recruitment portal. Just at a glance it looks like they are hiring data annotators who know things like: coding, "data science", writing and creative writing, sciences like biology and physics, law (lol and lmao), accounting, nuclear physics, etc etc etc. As I have no experience with this website and I've never heard of it until today I can't speak for what those jobs are like but I'm assuming it's the exact same thing: here are 2 responses from an AI rate which one is better and explain. Pay ranges for Outlier seem to be $20-50/hour from clicking around a few of the jobs listed.

Good luck!

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 6, 2024

palit
Nov 30, 2007
Nobody's boy
In contrast, I'm no longer here. I was motivated to get into DA thanks to Boris. Since I'm not confident in my coding skill, I just did the non-coding tasks.

It was nearly a month after I got in. I was doing a task but this time I couldn't press the submit task button. Went to the home page and instead of all the projects and qualifications stuff, I just got the message "At the moment, there aren't any projects available for you to work on. Please check back soon and watch out for new project notifications sent to your email."
I couldn't even report the time I worked that day.

It's been nearly a week and still the same page so I assumed I had been kicked out for good.
At least I still could retrieve my payments so it's not a total loss. Just wished they would tell me what happened or why but eh, this is par for the course when it comes to online work.

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!
I’m still with DA after about 3 to 4 months now. Took the coding qualification exam 2 weeks ago after brushing up on my python, passed, though still mostly doing non-coding cause I’m not super comfortable with coding yet. I’m an amateur, just self taught Python, so if you have any familiarity with coding, you should be able to pass.

Going to keep doing online self-learning for a little while yet. In terms of non-coding, I’ve been having huge amounts of projects available, with some usually between $21-$24/hr

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Will give Outlier.ai a try, since seems to not want me to work for them. Thank you!

Doing some research and found some Reddit threads

https://www.reddit.com/r/remotework/comments/1ajwg1n/is_outlier_legit/

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 9, 2024

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Never got any work from DA. Signed up for Outlier yesterday. No work from them yet.

No one wants my skills :smith:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

TELUS paid me for some voice recordings last year (September) and I've just had another offer for that kind of work. It's infrequent but it's nicer work and better paid than the $0.14 I got from DA, so I'll take it.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Telus is doing a big hiring event this Saturday, I believe. A friend on Facebook posted a link.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Ehud posted:

Never got any work from DA. Signed up for Outlier yesterday. No work from them yet.

No one wants my skills :smith:

I never heard back from DA or RemoTasks. It was pretty frustrating after putting in so much time on the sign-up and assessments.

How was the process for Outlier, in comparison?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I signed up for Outlier on Tuesday, got the email today that I was invited to their onboarding process for Generalist Tier 3 that pays $35/hr. It said it would take 4 hours, but it was maybe closer to 2 1/2.

Lots of training, but the 4 test assessments were harder than I thought they would be. Some were very subjective, and one of them I got a poor score on. So I will wait and see I guess.

It seems very promising if I am accepted and it's hourly and not per task. Because some required a lot of thinking and others did not, and I can get why they don't want people to rush through tasks.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I tried signing up for Outlier and was told I couldn't since I'd already signed up for Remotasks; not the first time something like this has happened, and it feels like most of the 'new' AI annotation sites I come across ultimately either tie back to Remotasks or DA.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Fireside Nut posted:

I never heard back from DA or RemoTasks. It was pretty frustrating after putting in so much time on the sign-up and assessments.

How was the process for Outlier, in comparison?

Signing up was easy, but I haven't been added to any projects or asked to take any assessments so far. Maybe I just haven't given it enough time yet, but this is all I see.

Astro7x posted:

So I signed up for Outlier on Tuesday, got the email today that I was invited to their onboarding process for Generalist Tier 3 that pays $35/hr. It said it would take 4 hours, but it was maybe closer to 2 1/2.

Lots of training, but the 4 test assessments were harder than I thought they would be. Some were very subjective, and one of them I got a poor score on. So I will wait and see I guess.

It seems very promising if I am accepted and it's hourly and not per task. Because some required a lot of thinking and others did not, and I can get why they don't want people to rush through tasks.

Hmm. Alright, I signed up on Tuesday as well. Maybe I'll hear back soon.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I stopped doing DA for two weeks and came back to a crazy level of projects and quals (all in the $20-22 non-coding bracket). It was rough that first month, though and their onboarding is ramshackle at best.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I have to say this latest TELUS job isn’t going well. It was advertised to take place from April to May but then after my application was accepted I got an email at 1am telling me I had 24 hours to do the task. The task comes in two parts, ~30 recordings followed by 150 recordings and 180+ recordings need to be completed before payment will be made. I got set up and did the first part of the task but the system only offered me 28 items before the session was completed which obviously implies that it’s not possible for me to meet the payment requirement. I emailed the project coordinator to ask about this but haven’t heard back. It’s a shame because I enjoy the work and the software set up they use works really well, I just don’t intend to do any of it for free.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm thinking about applying at Outlier just to have more options for work. The code related work available to me today DA are ones I hate doing so I'd rather not.

Probably not a good idea to list on my resume that I've been working with DA if I'm applying for Outlier, I guess?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LinkedIn is referring me to crossover.com for high paying remote jobs in fields that I'm qualified to work for but with suspiciously high salaries ($100k?) Is Crossover shady, a grift, or an outright scam? I already know it's the latter but I need someone to hit me over the head with "Yeah, no poo poo."

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 15, 2024

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So Outlier said I didn't pass the generalist assessment (just a few points short) and gave me feedback (which i can't view yet) to take the 2nd assessment.

They did get back to me on Saturday morning, so a two day turn around for the generalist grading.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

LinkedIn is referring me to crossover.com for high paying remote jobs in fields that I'm qualified to work for but with suspiciously high salaries ($100k?) Is Crossover shady, a grift, or an outright scam? I already know it's the latter but I need someone to hit me over the head with "Yeah, no poo poo."

It seems to be a job board that is listing jobs for other companies/clients. At a first quick glance the jobs look legit which I'm basing on the fact that these companies have a website. But also, they are advertising principal engineering jobs at only 100k/year, which tells me that they're not really targeting the US market.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 15, 2024

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This poo poo is tough. The AI responses can be very similar and the response is so subjective. We will see... I think the key was just having a very strong opinion that was 4 sentences that cites 1 or 2 examples to back it up. That's totally not enough words to justify a response, but I get it

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Stoca Zola posted:

...I emailed the project coordinator to ask about this...

I got a reply from the coordinator and she asked me to do the 150 recordings and then check back to see if "the system updated" for the remaining tasks in the first part. I've just completed those extra recordings since I am choosing to believe this project is being done in good faith, but of course "the system" didn't invent more tasks for me to do to get my quota high enough to be paid. It's clearly stating "there is no more work in this session" so I do not believe there will ever be more work in the session for me to complete. If this project decides not to pay me I think I am done with online task work since it seems to be leaning towards being more and more exploitative.

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!
I did a little bit of work for TELUS, not the same one, but mystery shopping and gave up because of the pay for the amount of work I had to do, along with the possibility of not getting paid at the end of buying the stuff with their unclear instructions and crappy system.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

I got a reply from the coordinator and she asked me to do the 150 recordings and then check back to see if "the system updated" for the remaining tasks in the first part. I've just completed those extra recordings since I am choosing to believe this project is being done in good faith, but of course "the system" didn't invent more tasks for me to do to get my quota high enough to be paid. It's clearly stating "there is no more work in this session" so I do not believe there will ever be more work in the session for me to complete. If this project decides not to pay me I think I am done with online task work since it seems to be leaning towards being more and more exploitative.

Yikes that really sucks. FWIW DA was doing a huge push for audio recordings recently. They were paying $20/hour + $1/recording.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

DA has me stuck on “thanks for taking the starter assessment”. Possibly a lot of the problems I’m having could be regional, there just doesn’t seem to be that much work available on any of the sites I’ve tried, and they’ve all got me in the Australia region. Could be some quirk of Australian employment law too, a lot of these “you are an independent contractor” situations don’t meet the AU guidelines and should be “you are a fixed term employee” instead, which is probably more hassle than it’s worth for these companies.

Edit to update on previous:
I just got an email from the QA guy from Telus telling me I have only done 28 and need to do 33 recordings before the payment will be processed. I sent him a photo of THERE IS NO MORE WORK IN YOUR SESSION and asked if he could help with getting more work into my session, since I’d love to complete the work. This is possibly not a scam but there’s definitely something wrong if they have rigid requirements for payment but not rigid control over how much work the system dishes out.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Outlier is confusing me as to what I am accepted to.

I took the Generalist Tier 3 test, passed the second assessment and got in. I got accepted to a new project that pays more that has nothing to do with the training I did. Not sure how I feel about this, since it's heavy writing focused and that sort of burns me out. But it pays hourly and not per task, so it's kind of nice that I can just take my time with it instead of rushing through.