Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's what I thought but he's previously shown them in the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
High efficiency washer dryer hookup. I started putting that in when we still thought we might stay here because my wife likes high efficiency machines more and it saves walking up and down so many stairs, and we were just using the basement machines till they died. Next owner gets the machines and both types of hookups, it's their choice what they use.

E: near the end of this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478212&pagenumber=42&perpage=40&userid=0#post494262689

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 31, 2022

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hate this loving project but it's so goddamn close to mortgage worthy
Stained the railings and Newell post

Stained the balusters

Started installing them. This is a severe pain in the rear end to get right.

But God loving drat does it look nice when they're aligned perfectly.

I'm almost exactly halfway done with the balusters on the actual stair railing and it's already stronger than it was before. This poo poo was floppy as gently caress when I bought it, probably because it had one screw holding the wall end in, one brad holding the top of every 1/2" pin baluster to the railing with no glue, and ZERO screws holding the top Newell post to the frame, it was literally just sitting between a corner and the ends of two pieces of trim board.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Dang, that looks fantastic. I can well believe that it's a pain in the rear end, though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Goddamn that looks incredible despite being a balluster buster of a project.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Goddamn that looks incredible despite being a balluster buster of a project.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
now that’s a railing you can set your watch to. Looks great!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
That's a very nice job. I'm ignorant, how are you attaching the balusters to the stair and the railing? Glue?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

They have a 3/4" peg on the bottom that slots into a 1/4 hole drilled in the bottom of the baluster. You use wood glue on both ends of the peg. At the other end, you use glue and a finishing nail. I also toenailed the bottom of the first one I did, since it needed to withstand uplift to take the slight warp out of the handrail, but that's no longer necessary now that I've got 14 of them in and glue dried.

Due to who I am as a person each baluster requires 6 sizes of drill bits and at least two or three trips to the saw, so I'm getting my exercise in today. The bottom hole in the baluster gets started at 1/8 to make sure it's centered correctly (or slightly off to compensate if my 3/4" hole in the tread is not exactly perfect) and then brought up to 9/32" in 3 steps so it stays accurate. The top diagonal pilot hole for the finishing nail (needed because this is all oak and it's an 8d finishing nail) is 50% drilled at 1/8" and then finished to depth at 3/32". This is because I found out the hard way that the nail will stop moving and start bending 3/8" before it's sunk if you do the whole hole at 3/32", but 1/8" it slides in by hand, so I found a good compromise.

And yes, it's a balluster buster. :lol:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

kastein posted:

Due to who I am as a person

A man devoting "forever home" effort into what is ultimately a flip. Some kind of mutant never meant for mass production, too strange to live, too rare to die.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I feel like you should crowdfund a little plaque or something to fix to the wall in the basement in as annoying to remove a manner as available to mankind before you sell.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You have me wondering if my buddies CNC mill from 1985 supports G47 and if I've got, say, a 6x8 piece of quarter inch plate handy in the scrap bin, because I still have to put 2 lally columns up and I feel like "milled 1/8in deep into a piece of steel sandwiched over the top of a load bearing column in the middle of the house" meets your specifications on removal difficulty and costs me essentially nothing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

rndmnmbr posted:

A man devoting "forever home" effort into what is ultimately a flip. Some kind of mutant never meant for mass production, too strange to live, too rare to die.

It took me literally years to understand this. Actually, I still don't quite get the why, but that doesn't matter. It's amazing to watch.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

daslog posted:

It took me literally years to understand this. Actually, I still don't quite get the why, but that doesn't matter. It's amazing to watch.

You'd get it if you ever met Ken IRL.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

sharkytm posted:

You'd get it if you ever met Ken IRL.

I have! You probably don't remember when ChrisGT drove his Subaru into the woods...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

daslog posted:

I have! You probably don't remember when ChrisGT drove his Subaru into the woods...

Oh, I remember. I think I made it to every one of those meetups. I just forgot that you were there. Also, don't pee on the bricks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You made it to at least a few. BTW, if anyone wants bricks, please come take some. As many as you want.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Plus a roof, some flooring, just take the whole house.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The first two balusters at the bottom were a severe pain the the dick because they meet the curved part of the handrail.

Cut roughly to shape. I had to use my contour gauge which means I'm going to have a bad time. Since I don't have a nice sanding drum table I then used the depth stop on my chop saw many times to rough out the traced profile, then a chisel to hack it down from square tooth approximation to a roughly curved surface. It's getting nailed and glued in and never seen again so at that point I just went heavy on the glue and let it figure its own poo poo out. It'll give the glue more to hold onto.

Perfect.

Then did the rest of the balusters working upward from there.

The last baluster in the middle was a pain because the nail was hard to reach and I couldn't pilot drill fully since my drill wouldn't fit, even at an angle. I chowdered it a little bit and am going to have to grind it down like the first one I did but I doubt anyone else will ever notice. If the handrail hadn't had a warp to it, I could have done this correctly working from the bottom instead of having to start in the middle. Lesson learned, store your materials correctly so they don't warp before you can use them.

All the remaining stair work is at the top now and waiting on the hall floor before I can start. So I guess that is next.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

As for the forever home quality in a flip thing - if it's worth doing at all it's worth doing right. I refuse to be the guy who fucks poo poo up for the next person, because I have just spent 12 years learning why that guy loving sucks. I am choosing what I will finish at this point, but I am not choosing how well the things I finish will be done. They will either be done right, or not done. Half assing things is a waste of both my time and the next owners so it is all or nothing.

There's only one exception to this, the kitchen cabinets. I know the next owner is going to look at them and rip them out the first time they get a chance so I am putting bare minimum effort and money into that and trying to limit how much I actually attach it to the rest of the house (within reason, don't want the cabinets falling off the wall... But there are only two overhead cabinets) so they have less holes to patch when they redo the kitchen.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Those stairs look great!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I refuse to be the guy who fucks poo poo up for the next person, because I have just spent 12 years learning why that guy loving sucks

The house next door to me has been bought, remodeled, and flipped like 3X in the last decade. It was kind of a wreck from foundation issues when the original neighbor - ahem - abandoned it (like literally. He found property, bought that, and left the house to the bank when they refused to give him a loan to fix it.)
The guy renting there now has been doing all sorts of work to it, presumably in exchange for rent. He's a GC by trade, and one assumes noted that the existing work was poo poo. I should ask him about that. And also maybe get his pricing for doing some work that I don't want to do...

My house is pretty solid, with only minor fuckery, but it's 56 years old and mostly original.
I mean, I hate the layout, and a few other things, but it's at least a fairly solid house. Aside from the foundation. And plumbing. ...gently caress.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Me before I bought a 45 dollar harbor freight power plane, having only learned about it from watching a boat builder on YouTube: I don't know, this might be a waste of money for this project
Me 5 minutes later: where has this tool been my entire life.

There were some lumpy areas of the first layer of subflooring plywood in the upstairs hall that simply couldn't be ignored. Like over 1/4" out in 6 to 12 inches of run. One was my fault for not realizing that "23/32 plywood" is neither an indicator of actual thickness nor an indicator of the precision to which it is made. The other was because this loving house is a sagging tilting 1800s horror show and despite me fixing most of the worst issues, the upstairs hall floor framing was nowhere near flat. So the plywood I put down over it wasn't flat either.

But half an hour with my new power plane and it sure was. I can put the second layer down now, and it'll actually be flat, or reasonably close to it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kastein posted:

Me before I bought a 45 dollar harbor freight power plane, having only learned about it from watching a boat builder on YouTube: I don't know, this might be a waste of money for this project
Me 5 minutes later: where has this tool been my entire life....

Is it Leo and the Tally Ho? His work is amazing...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That's the one. Love that channel. Unfortunately we have exactly the same skills in project time estimation. This house has been 2 years from done since 2011.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

This house has been 2 years from done since 2011.

Trademark ™️

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kastein posted:

That's the one. Love that channel. Unfortunately we have exactly the same skills in project time estimation. This house has been 2 years from done since 2011.

Haha, so true.

For anyone following this thread that hasn't discovered Leo and the boat build - https://www.youtube.com/c/SampsonBoatCo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kastein posted:

High efficiency washer dryer hookup. I started putting that in when we still thought we might stay here because my wife likes high efficiency machines more and it saves walking up and down so many stairs, and we were just using the basement machines till they died. Next owner gets the machines and both types of hookups, it's their choice what they use.

E: near the end of this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478212&pagenumber=42&perpage=40&userid=0#post494262689

I almost don't want to say anything, but: it's going to suck opening a front-loader in that space, the door needs to swing wider than 90 degrees just to get stuff in and out because of the way the door sort of bulges in and out of most (all?) machines.
e.g.:

But then, that's the next owner's problem, lol

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The space is like 7 or 8 inches wider than the machines I was seeing so it'll get a little further open than 90, and yeah, that is not my loving problem lol.

They can also pay someone to put a dryer vent out the roof there and just run stacked machines if they don't like that.

(This is, however, very useful info for sanity checking the design for the next house.)

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
If you like watching Leo Theseus the Tally ho, you might also like the "companion" build of Arabella, in which 2 guys decide to build a boat from scratch, literally from trees one of their grandparents planted:

https://youtube.com/c/AcornToArabella

I say companion build because it's a very similar design and started at a similar point, however they're committed to launching next summer, so you have until then to binge watch 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Was driving through Mass yesterday and it reminded me that I need my Kastein-hause update.