Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

minidracula posted:

if I have to use containers for something (ugh), podman is the Docker-clone I should/ought to be using instead of actual Docker, right?

this is what I've somewhat intuited via osmosis semi-lately. is it correct?

podman is the Linux container system created by the company that invented containers in the 1960s-70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

feels like table stakes for a lang ityool2024

it was table stakes for a language once the Symbolics and LMI versions of the LM-2 and the Xerox 8010 shipped with ZetaLisp and Smalltalk/InterLisp-D respectively in 1981

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Xarn posted:

CGo is nice until you try doing something WeIrD like passing around array over 2GB and it silently craps out.

Or you try using it on Windows and lol, lmao, MSVC is not supported.

despite my severe dislike for and cringing at go, I suspect based on long experience that this is more of an MSVC than a go problem

remember that MSVC pretended C ended with C89 for decades and told people to “just use C++” if they wanted any C99 feature (most of which other compilers started supporting in 1993, which is in fact what led to C99)

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Joe Chip posted:

the only part i thought was neat was the c ffi implementation (cgo) since it meant i could use crusty old (dependable, well-tested, well-supported) libraries.

go ffi is weirdly bad, I forget the details but there's a ton of extra runtime work for every foreign call

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
oh no question it's awful. it's easy enough to use at a basic level and go packages are so bad it was nice to have an escape hatch if needed. a few things off the top of my head that sucked about it:

1. anything with multithreading inside the library is a headache. i didn't have time to dig into this and for our application forcing the library to use a single thread was fine
2. hope you're not using alpine because you will find a lot of fun problems with musl. tbf this is probably more musl's fault but it was annoying to deal with (by switching to debian/glibc lol)
3. tons of explicit casting back and forth, especially if you need to use a void*

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

eschaton posted:

despite my severe dislike for and cringing at go, I suspect based on long experience that this is more of an MSVC than a go problem

remember that MSVC pretended C ended with C89 for decades and told people to “just use C++” if they wanted any C99 feature (most of which other compilers started supporting in 1993, which is in fact what led to C99)

cgo is of the opinion that gcc is the only compiler that exists and happens to support clang only because clang is gcc-compatible. cl has different command-line flags from gcc and that's too difficult of a technical problem for them to solve.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Doesn't POSIX specify C compiler options? Seems like a bug in MSVC if it does not implement the POSIX standard correctly. (I know very little about POSIX.)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
cc -c -I. -o fart.o fart.c
cc -Lcircus -lclowns -o fart fart.o

is probably about the extent of it, and I think msvc supports that. MS is pretty good about supporting uselessly underspecified standards to the letter and then being as different from other implementations as possible in every other respect

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

meanwhile, on gcc, -fms-extensions is one of my favourite nasty CFLAGS to use

god I love that dirty fuckin poo poo. all aboard the transparent casting and pseudo-inheritance train, toot toot :getin:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Plorkyeran posted:

cgo is of the opinion that gcc is the only compiler that exists and happens to support clang only because clang is gcc-compatible. cl has different command-line flags from gcc and that's too difficult of a technical problem for them to solve.

Go is all about making things simple for the implementors and screw the users, so at least it is on brand.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

meanwhile we got zig out there simply transparently bundling a full clang cross-compiling setup. which is slightly bonkers but makes for a real straightforward c compat story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

oh

oh gods