Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm on 12 still and I didn't even consider trim, I'll have to look at enabling that.

Boot times for server are 10 seconds, and the only slow down was from sata drive to sata drive when I saw slow transfer speeds, which seems to be a well known issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Roundboy posted:

I'm on 12 still and I didn't even consider trim, I'll have to look at enabling that.

Boot times for server are 10 seconds, and the only slow down was from sata drive to sata drive when I saw slow transfer speeds, which seems to be a well known issue.

What SSD? Also, is partition alignment really that important? I was reading its like a must-do tweak if you're running Ubuntu on an SSD (especially any Samsung EVO model) via this article: http://cillian.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/setting-up-samsung-840-evo-ssds-on-linux/ but I'm not sure how credible that is.

[Edit] Ehh, I have Ubuntu up and running now on a 120GB EVO and this poo poo boots to desktop in like 5 seconds; no idea how/what partition alignment will affect. That said, I followed this guide for some general SSD tweaks under 14.04: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd - Although, I didn't do over-provisioning. Doesn't TRIM take care of whatever issues may be prevented from making an unallocated partition?

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 4, 2014

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

teagone posted:

What SSD? Also, is partition alignment really that important? I was reading its like a must-do tweak if you're running Ubuntu on an SSD (especially any Samsung EVO model) via this article: http://cillian.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/setting-up-samsung-840-evo-ssds-on-linux/ but I'm not sure how credible that is.

[Edit] Ehh, I have Ubuntu up and running now on a 120GB EVO and this poo poo boots to desktop in like 5 seconds; no idea how/what partition alignment will affect. That said, I followed this guide for some general SSD tweaks under 14.04: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd - Although, I didn't do over-provisioning. Doesn't TRIM take care of whatever issues may be prevented from making an unallocated partition?

Samsung 840 120gb. I partitioned it to default,as my media drives are separate. The only drive shenanigans I did was removing the saved 5% space from my sata 2tb and 500gb drives

EDIT: Ran a fstrim initially to see what my month+ old system was at, and 77GB were trimmed :O Guess its time for a cron job and other SSD tweaks.

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 5, 2014

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Ubuntu doesn't remember my monitor positions so I have to run this command every boot:

code:
xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --pos 1280x0 --output DVI-I-2 --pos 0x0
Where can I put this so that it'll run every time automatically? I'd also like to run commands to mount drives etc.

I tried .gnomerc but it didn't work (I guess because it runs too early in the boot process or something)
I can't put it in .bashrc because then it'll run whenever I ssh in or open a new terminal (right?)

I know there's the "Startup Applications" gui but I'd rather do it manually.

I know there's something called "upstart", and I know I can use @reboot in Cron. Not sure which option would be best or if I should be doing it some other way.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

fuf posted:

I know there's the "Startup Applications" gui but I'd rather do it manually.

Not sure if this is actually the best way, but you can create a startup application manually by creating a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

There's also the fstrim utility which in certain workloads can be better than mounting discard.

That being said trim should be something you can turn on and off whenever you'd like, something like "mount -o remount /mount/point" with discard added to the options in the fstab (or all in the commandline). The kernel won't let you turn on discard if (or do anything with fstrim) if it feels like the device doesn't support trim. You can check if it will let you trim/discard by doing:

find /sys/ -name discard_max_bytes
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/ata1/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/queue/discard_max_bytes

If discard_max_bytes is greater than zero than you can on that device.

You probably don't need to upgrade just to enable trim.

e: hdparm can trim ext4 filesystems online sometimes even when the os doesn't support it. If you are feeling especially brave.

e2: Nevermind: "For Solid State Drives (SSDs). EXCEPTIONALLY DANGEROUS. DO NOT USE THIS OPTION!!"

Aquila fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 6, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
If anyone is getting random screen freezes in 14.04 using Nvidia cards with the 331 drivers, the trick is to Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then Ctrl-Alt-F7 back into your Xsession, and you won't see the issue again until you reboot. I'm also using the nvidia-prime because I have an optimus laptop.

No information in the logs, no posts on the internet about it, just a broken connection to X server and a weird, ancient TTY shortcut to work around it. The previous workaround was to ctrl-alt-f1 into TTY and sudo service lightdm restart. Worked, but trashed whatever you were in the middle of.

Also, when I say no information in the logs, I mean kern.log, syslog, lightdm.log, x-0.log, and Xorg.log. Seriously, you think one of those would notice that a fatal error occurred between the running beating heart of the computer and the user.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There's always teething issues with new releases. In 14.04, there's something wrong with ibus. It makes Chromium unable to pick up keyboard input unless you do an ibus exit every time you boot. For some reason it also broke a bunch of stuff in X too (Lubuntu/LXDE) - xscreensaver-command stopped working until I went through and installed a couple more packages, which manifested itself as "lock screen" breaking.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 7, 2014

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
following up on the SSD chat, i enabled fstrim as a daily cron because this is my server that is always on. But it seems I'm trimming a lot ?

code:
*** Tue, 06 May 2014 06:25:02 -0400 ***
/: 77620768768 bytes were trimmed
*** Wed, 07 May 2014 06:25:01 -0400 ***
/: 21863337984 bytes were trimmed
*** Thu, 08 May 2014 06:25:01 -0400 ***
/: 5362196480 bytes were trimmed
~
today and just now (2 hrs later) i trimmed :
1000505344 bytes were trimmed

I already moved /tmp , /var/lock and /var/spool to tmpfs, and also added noatime.. what else is eating up so many writes ? I read up on swappiness, but i think these usually apply to desktop vs server installs.

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 8, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What file system are you using?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

What file system are you using?

ext4, which was partitioned using ubuntu defaults when i set it up. Smart tools is showing :

code:
 9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       4226
177 Wear_Leveling_Count     0x0013   098   098   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       13
which indicated i've used up 13% if my expected drive RW capacity in 176 days ?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Roundboy posted:

ext4, which was partitioned using ubuntu defaults when i set it up. Smart tools is showing :

code:
 9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       4226
177 Wear_Leveling_Count     0x0013   098   098   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       13

You say "ubuntu defaults" - dumb question, do you still have the swap file enabled?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

You say "ubuntu defaults" - dumb question, do you still have the swap file enabled?

ubuntu defaults meaning whatever partitions are created for / using the install CD. so yes, i have swap:

code:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       8049916    7546660     503256          0      53840    6693040
-/+ buffers/cache:     799780    7250136
Swap:      8262652      23548    8239104
code:
   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048   217913343   108955648   83  Linux
/dev/sda2       217915390   234440703     8262657    5  Extended
/dev/sda5       217915392   234440703     8262656   82  Linux swap / Solaris
This is a server, running 24x7 that does plex, minecraft, torrents, video transcoding, etc. 8gb mem, so I was not really interested in dumping swap entirely. But im having trouble finding a proper swappiness setting for a SERVER. Hibernation, etc s not an issue here

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Roundboy posted:

code:

No. Use the normed value (98% life remaining, 2% used), not the raw value.

The raw value, assuming this is a Samsung, indicates that the most-erased block has been erased 13 times.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

No. Use the normed value (98% life remaining, 2% used), not the raw value.

The raw value, assuming this is a Samsung, indicates that the most-erased block has been erased 13 times.

Ok, then I am just reading the wrong value. Good to know. Back to the original isue though, should I really see 1-10GB a day in trim space ?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Roundboy posted:

Ok, then I am just reading the wrong value. Good to know. Back to the original isue though, should I really see 1-10GB a day in trim space ?

You said that your server does 24x7 torrenting, transcoding, etc. so maybe? It all depends on your workload.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Longinus00 posted:

You said that your server does 24x7 torrenting, transcoding, etc. so maybe? It all depends on your workload.

Its on, but its not pulling that much data down. 500mb a day, on average. And seeding shouldn't require any writing, nor should mindcraft (2-3 people for 3 hrs a week)

Actually Plex transcoding.. Hmm, I wonder if that would benefit from tmp drive or is that shooting myself in the foot?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Does anyone have any opinions about using daily ISO images of a stable Ubuntu version for new installs? I like the idea of a new installation having updated packages immediately (without having to prolong the installation process by selecting "download updates while installing"). I don't mind an extra zsync ISO download before making new bootable flash drive. Daily images for prerelease versions are sometimes broken for a few days at a time, but I wouldn't expect this to happen to daily ISOs of a stable version.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lysidas posted:

Does anyone have any opinions about using daily ISO images of a stable Ubuntu version for new installs? I like the idea of a new installation having updated packages immediately (without having to prolong the installation process by selecting "download updates while installing"). I don't mind an extra zsync ISO download before making new bootable flash drive. Daily images for prerelease versions are sometimes broken for a few days at a time, but I wouldn't expect this to happen to daily ISOs of a stable version.

If you're installing Ubuntu this often, set up a local apt mirror and spin your own CD with a preseed (or PXE)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

evol262 posted:

If you're installing Ubuntu this often, set up a local apt mirror and spin your own CD with a preseed (or PXE)

If you're installing Ubuntu that often then surely imaging it to the drive and running a setup script is 8000 times less hassle.

Or make an unattended install script that will run everything for you without interaction.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

wooger posted:

Or make an unattended install script that will run everything for you without interaction.

This is exactly what preseed does. It automates the installer. After which you should have it talk to your puppetmaster, saltmaster, or whatever if you need further configuration.

While I think PXE booting from a local repo and a preseed file is a lot better, putting a repo on a writable part of the flash drive along with a preseed answer file is also trivially simple and you can plug it in and walk away. Given that the question was about using a flash drive, I'm not sure that PXE or "imaging the drive" are appropriate solutions.

Imaging drives for Linux doesn't really make any sense on any distro which supports preseed or kickstart, unless you want to try to keep track of the kajillion things which need to be configured (and may change on the next version) yourself rather than letting the installer (which already does those things) handle it.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

fstrim reports every byte/block that it could trim, not every byte/block that it did trim:

" -v, --verbose
Verbose execution. When specified fstrim will output the number of bytes passed from the filesystem down the block stack to the device for potential discard. This number is a maxi‐
mum discard amount from the storage device's perspective, because FITRIM ioctl called repeated will keep sending the same sectors for discard repeatedly.
"

So I think you're fine.

Also keep in mind ext4 and recent linux probably has background/collected/aggregated trim with discard mount worked out, so scripted fstrim probably isn't needed anymore.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

evol262 posted:

Imaging drives for Linux doesn't really make any sense on any distro which supports preseed or kickstart, unless you want to try to keep track of the kajillion things which need to be configured (and may change on the next version) yourself rather than letting the installer (which already does those things) handle it.
There is also merit in build scripts that install your package list, update everything, and do whatever manual configuration you want, as such things are more easily portable. I once had a rather sophisticated deployment script that would work on 3 different cloud providers, bare metal servers, and random laptops used for demos.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ShadowHawk posted:

There is also merit in build scripts that install your package list, update everything, and do whatever manual configuration you want, as such things are more easily portable. I once had a rather sophisticated deployment script that would work on 3 different cloud providers, bare metal servers, and random laptops used for demos.

This is the exact use case for any configuration management system you want (Salt, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, cfengine), which handle working on different providers for you.

The idea is that build scripts on images need to be updated when distros change to networkmanager. Or packages get broken out into subpackages. Or the configuration format of enscript.conf changes slightly. Or whatever. Where a manual build script requires a lot of :effort: from you to keep it working, using a higher level abstraction to install (preseed, kickstart) and configure (any configuration management system you want) saves you time and effort, as well as making sure what anyone new who walks into your build environment can tell exactly what it's doing without deciphering your "sophisticated deployment script", because they already know Puppet.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

evol262 posted:

This is the exact use case for any configuration management system you want (Salt, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, cfengine), which handle working on different providers for you.

The idea is that build scripts on images need to be updated when distros change to networkmanager. Or packages get broken out into subpackages. Or the configuration format of enscript.conf changes slightly. Or whatever. Where a manual build script requires a lot of :effort: from you to keep it working, using a higher level abstraction to install (preseed, kickstart) and configure (any configuration management system you want) saves you time and effort, as well as making sure what anyone new who walks into your build environment can tell exactly what it's doing without deciphering your "sophisticated deployment script", because they already know Puppet.
The use case was slightly different here (adapting an already extant script), but yes I agree with this in general.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

evol262 posted:

wooger posted:

If you're installing Ubuntu that often then surely imaging it to the drive and running a setup script is 8000 times less hassle.

Thanks for the replies. Oddly enough, every install I've done recently has been an independent desktop install on someone's personal machine. (e.g. "woman in my research group's netbook caught some malware and was still running XP, she'd been meaning to use Linux again for quite a while so she was as happy with me installing Kubuntu as I was", "guy in my group was running 12.04 until his hard drive died and had to be replaced, so may as well reinstall with 14.04", etc.)

Spinning my own CD images seems like it's worth looking in to, but I'd probably rather install from a stock ISO image for someone else's desktop/laptop. I was just curious if anyone knew of any significant downsides of using a daily image of 14.04.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a Ubuntu 14.04 machine that crashed while I was away from the computer - came back to a black screen with white text. Does that get written to a file anyhwere so I can read through it now to try to narrow down why it crashed?

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
X server settings :argh:,

I'm working with some 3D projectors on a system using nvidia cards, which support and run at 1920x1200@120hz. However, because whoever programmed the EDID's is a lazy arse, the EDID for 1920x1080 specifies 60hz only, and we need it to run at 1920x1080@120.

Now, I know it can do 1920x1080@120hz, because windows will do it. However, I cannot make ubuntu do it. I've tried hand-editing xorg.conf with the Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "False" method, no dice. The monitor just stays blank.

I can run the projector at 1920x1200@120 and downscale the desktop to 1080 with a bit of fuckery in the nvidia control panel, but we have a bespoke fullscreen software that ignores this and fills the full 1200 height, and that causes it to overlap another monitor.

Can anyone tell me how to force it to run at this res/refresh combo, or alternatively tell me how to make the OS lie about the screen res to the rest of the system?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
14.04.1 images are available.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Does 14.04.1 have updated NVidia drivers?

I have a GeForce GTX 750, and a clean install of 14.04 required that I added some PPA or whatever to get newer nvidia drivers.

I was going to do a reinstall since getting a new SSD, but I wanted to make sure I could go with an "out of the box" setup.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Lysidas posted:

14.04.1 images are available.

Yup, time to make a new thread.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Quick question is there anyway that I can run this command in the newest version of ubuntu? It keep saying that zlib isn't an acceptable command.

code:
dd if=mybackup.ab bs=24 skip=1|openssl zlib -d > mybackup.tar

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

wargames posted:

Quick question is there anyway that I can run this command in the newest version of ubuntu? It keep saying that zlib isn't an acceptable command.

code:
dd if=mybackup.ab bs=24 skip=1|openssl zlib -d > mybackup.tar

You might want to check out "man openssl" to learn how to use it correctly. What are you trying to do/what do you think that code does?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Longinus00 posted:

You might want to check out "man openssl" to learn how to use it correctly. What are you trying to do/what do you think that code does?
I am trying to do this, namely the inflating the backup part.
http://java.dzone.com/articles/android-email-extraction-eml

edit
The answer is you can't, can only do it in an older version of ubuntu like 12.04.

wargames fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 26, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

New thread is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

wargames posted:

I am trying to do this, namely the inflating the backup part.
http://java.dzone.com/articles/android-email-extraction-eml

edit
The answer is you can't, can only do it in an older version of ubuntu like 12.04.

Is something wrong with gzip?

• Locked thread