Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

Just hit yourself while working out and holding a shield instead.

No no, the trick is missing yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

corn in the bible posted:

play minstrel song

Hell yeah

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blockhouse posted:

I mean if we're counting the Gundam Versus series under that banner it's a bit of a spicy take

I haven't played Gundam Versus (sadly I know barely any Gundam, but I would like to, it's up my alley), but it's definitely a lot more engaging and better-designed than Xenoverse and Jump Force. I think part of that might be that with a comparatively small cast, and a wealth of mechanical inspiration, they can come up with a lot of ways to make characters distinct from each other and faithful to their source material.

Also, shout out to the story mode for having the running theme of 'nobody giving enough of a poo poo about Noctis to explain literally anything to him'. There's a few surprisingly nice character moments and interpretations in that story mode, but taking probably the FF protagonist most defined by their in-universe position, replationships and reputation and then dumping him in a world where nobody cares is actually pretty refreshing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I haven't played Gundam Versus (sadly I know barely any Gundam, but I would like to, it's up my alley), but it's definitely a lot more engaging and better-designed than Xenoverse and Jump Force. I think part of that might be that with a comparatively small cast, and a wealth of mechanical inspiration, they can come up with a lot of ways to make characters distinct from each other and faithful to their source material.

Yeah, they're really different genres, you've got stuff like the Naruto/DBZ/that new kill la kill thing/etc brawlers in one camp and your Gundam Versus/DFFAC/Gunslinger Stratos/etc competitive fighters in the other. But they're similar enough on an aesthetic level that they're lumped together without any thought to the mechanics and whatnot.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Scalding Coffee posted:

A game where you can stomp everything in your way in a Star Wars setting.

But I'm already playing 12

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wonder if it time for a new thread? I noticed the OP hasn't updated it in seven years!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If someone wants to try to match the effort the OP put into their opening posts, be my guest.

Also let's wait until 99999 posts so we can hit the max damage limit.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rirse posted:

Wonder if it time for a new thread? I noticed the OP hasn't updated it in seven years!

lol the OP still calls it FF Versus XIII.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Onmi posted:

Being ugly as gently caress is a legitimate reason to not play.

That... actually doesn't look as bad as people say. I'm a little surprised that they didn't switch Terra's hair to blonde, though, since that's the canonical color. They made it green on the SNES/GBA because otherwise it would have been a bit difficult to tell her apart from Celes. You'd think that with today's hardware they wouldn't have that problem anymore.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

...! posted:

That... actually doesn't look as bad as people say. I'm a little surprised that they didn't switch Terra's hair to blonde, though, since that's the canonical color. They made it green on the SNES/GBA because otherwise it would have been a bit difficult to tell her apart from Celes. You'd think that with today's hardware they wouldn't have that problem anymore.

I think the character sprites is what turns people off the most. Like all the male characters have angry eyebrows and their chests puffed out for no good reason. Seriously, just check out the rack on Setzer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd love to see Setzer's snake eyes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A little bit more shading and other adjustments on the sprites and they wouldn't look too bad. But they look like clipart as they are.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What gets me are their perfectly rigid gorilla arms and their World of Warcraft shoulderpads. And their colour palettes that don't match the game.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
They really were onto something with Kefka in FF6. No other villain in the series is as memorable. Even Sephiroth doesn't stack up.

For one thing, that laugh really sticks in your head. I bought the SNES version the day it came out and the laugh kinda blew me away at the time because I'd never really heard anything like that on the SNES before. And it was just so loving creepy.

But he's also actually one of the most competent villains in video game history because he actually manages to carry out his grand evil plan and there's nothing you can do to stop him. Yes, you eventually manage to kill him but not before he carries out a planet-wide genocide and causes a complete upheaval of the planet's geography and environment as well.

The second half of the game, just wandering through the ruined world where everything appears to be dead or dying and the people have lost all hope and are just trying to survive, is super depressing. Talking to the few survivors in all the destroyed towns, seeing the ongoing destruction that Kefka is still causing just for shits and giggles, potentially having Shadow be killed, and Celes attempting suicide... the whole thing is super dark. And killing Kefka doesn't actually fix anything; it just prevents things from getting even worse.

I wish more games had the balls to do something like that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It really is scary to think about an idiot clown becoming the most powerful man in the world.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You're right, it's time I stop talking and start doing. I'm going to build a Colosseum!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ardyn is a pretty good villain

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Most of the villains are good, really. Even Marche!

So which one is the worst villain? I'd go whichever you'd pick for FF3, Xande is a crybaby and Cloud of Darkness is a Necron that represents her game mostly because Xande sucks and there's not enough woman villains (in as far as Cloud of Darkness is a woman, it's a loving cloud of darkness).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Marche is a terrible villain, he was absolutely right and did nothing wrong :colbert:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's The Emperor like

I like him a lot in Dissidia but I have no idea what the story of FF2 even is

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Help Im Alive posted:

What's The Emperor like

I like him a lot in Dissidia but I have no idea what the story of FF2 even is

His empire destroys the MCs home town so they join the resistance and eventually kill him but the Emperor is such a Bad Dude he procedes to become the Emperor of Hell so the party has to kill him again.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 21, 2019

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Algus and Dycedarg are memorable assholes. Evil Jesus sucks as a villain

Edit: the entire Nobility class of that game was collectively a bunch of fuckers

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 21, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Marche is a terrible villain, he was absolutely right and did nothing wrong :colbert:

:hai:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It depends. Who is the villain of FFXII? Vayne? Venat? The Empire as a whole?

In any event, Vayne is far and away the worst villain of all major villains in that game. Gabranth and Dr. Cid far outshine him.

If we get into more minor villains, the choices become more plentiful. Like, President Deling was a schmuck. Emperor Gestahl, too.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

BrightWing posted:

His empire destroys the MCs home town so they join the resistance and eventually kill him but the Emperor is such a Bad Dude he procedes to become the Emperor of Hell so the party has to kill him again.

I should play FF2 one of these days

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

In any event, Vayne is far and away the worst villain of all major villains in that game. Gabranth and Dr. Cid far outshine him.

If we get into more minor villains, the choices become more plentiful. Like, President Deling was a schmuck. Emperor Gestahl, too.

None worse than Argath.

gently caress

ARGATH

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

BrightWing posted:

Another remake has him taking over Heaven as well because he got bored or something, where you meet your dead friends.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

NikkolasKing posted:

Vayne was pretty good for the first half of the game, peaking at the Mt. Bur-Omisace cutscene which was a good "oh poo poo" moment. The problem is that he stays very grounded, with his highest ambition being "start a war", while the party is off meeting literal gods.

Venat itself is kind of hard to classify as a villain. It's more antagonistic to the other Occuria than to any of the humans, and seems perfectly happy with the way you accomplished all your goals. Could even be possible that working with Cid/Vayne was part of a larger-scale plan that ended with you destroying the Sun-cryst like you did, which seemed to be its main goal.

Cid was the best of them, then. I liked how his motivation wasn't just "destroy the world" but rather "there's this incredible power out there and I need to control it so I can see what it can do". Didn't make him any less dangerous, but much more relatable than typical FF villains.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Worst villain is Aldyn.

For all the other weak villains, the flaws come from outside of themselves. Xande has to struggle against essentially being ahead of what tech and Square's writing could deliver at the time. Vayne has to share the spotlight with the rest of FFXII's kinda overstuffed story. Lord Zenos is painted into a corner by the structure and planning meaning he can't actually do anything interesting for most of his screentime.

Aldyn has all the opportunity in the world to be compelling in any number of ways, and squanders all of them.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I should play FF2 one of these days

It's good! Or at least, not bad. Just play the psp or gba version

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Aldyrn doesn't even turn into a monster when you fight him. He just a dude dressed as the Tom Baker Doctor.

Anyway I got a new thread made.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885196

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF2 was a great start to Square embracing insane stories. They kill off half the world, dungeons include Leviathan's stomach and a literal cyclone, you have a dragoon who tries to move in on his dead friend's family, Firion getting ambushed by pirates because he can't resist a free ride, Firion attempting to gently caress Hilda, Josef's entire worthless existence, Borghen being such comic relief that his zombie is a joke boss, going on a long detour to unlock a castle (which involved Josef getting killed) only to find the guy who could've unlocked it to begin with a few feet inside, finding and raising a wyvern egg solely to access a dungeon, Leon trying to become the new Emperor not by mind control but because he's just a massive dick and only joining you to spite the Emperor, and of course the Emperor getting killed off only to conquer hell and making you have to kill him again.

FF2 is gloriously stupid and the idiocy of its story deserves more love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A new thread was made, linked 2 posts above.