Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Brawnfire posted:

"This... This enterprise."
lmao to all, but especially to this, as a huge Star Trek nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

zoux posted:

I see my stele is raising a lot of questions answered by my stele

thread title

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CrypticFox posted:

Yeah names for objects go way back. The Sumerian king Gudea is known for commissioning a bunch of inscribed statues of himself, and they generally have specific names. One of them (Statue D) was named "The king whose immense power no foreign country can withstand."

Makes sense to me, I know people who name any houseplant they hang onto for a year, and given that sailors are often a type of professional who change what ship they're working on it feels like it'd just be flat out more inconvenient to live a life being like "I spent 2 years on the...uh, the one owned by Jackassicus, the smaller one not the bigger one."

Sick. Also my 'study' of Egyptian history, aka "listening to the history of egypt podcast sometimes," has trained me to treat that name as incredibly stereotypical of Egyptian naming conventions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jazerus posted:

thread title

Current one is sublime

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Another clerk at a post office I used to work at told me they were a kemhetist. Like with total sincerity.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

bless that person

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well, Re spends the day sailing across the sky in His solar barque which is named Millions of Years, so we know that at least one Egyptian boat had a name.

The one He travels in through the twelve caverns of the Underworld which are the hours of the night has a way less badass name, which is just plain old Night Boat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mad Hamish posted:

Well, Re spends the day sailing across the sky in His solar barque which is named Millions of Years, so we know that at least one Egyptian boat had a name.

The one He travels in through the twelve caverns of the Underworld which are the hours of the night has a way less badass name, which is just plain old Night Boat.
Does it have early appearances by Brent Spiner?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mad Hamish posted:

Night Boat.

Sounds like an 80s action show

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Brawnfire posted:

I would watch the hell out of a show about Re solving crimes in the underworld

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Brawnfire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoV1-fsFCmw

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's what it was! My brain works, just not for my benefit!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"Father Re, why did you name Millions Of Years that?"

"Because that's how long I will love them for."

"and what of my name, Night Boat?"

"same"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
May or may not be related that Norse sagas have even the tea kettle of the gods given a name. Apparently, to cast magical enchantments on an object requires it to have a name you can address it by. Makes sense to me!

Also Night Boat strikes me as possibly one of those things where it has a name, but rarely spoken of because it's considered dangerous to speak of it. Hades was apparently rarely directly referred to by name.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

did charon's boat have a name in greek and was it mister rowboato

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Orbs posted:

It would make sense for boats to have names, especially big, important ones like triremes. Ships take a lot of effort to build and maintain, and that effort is usually toward a specific intentional purpose. That's the kind of endeavor that always seems to make humans want to go "we should name this thing, this great complex endeavor we're doing."

"Stone...uh..henge?"
"Fucks sake, Steve, it's not a henge!"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
"Horizon" is such a cool sounding way to remark cultural periods

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodization_of_pre-Columbian_Peru

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Actually, while I'm thinking of it, the pyramids in ancient Egypt also had names. The Great Pyramid's proper name is Khufu's Horizon, and the name of Djedefre's pyramid (Khufu's successor) is Djedefre's Starry Sky.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Elissimpark posted:

"Stone...uh..henge?"
"Fucks sake, Steve, it's not a henge!"
I wonder what the original name of that monument was, I don't think it was Stonehenge iirc. I bet the original name was way more rad.

Mad Hamish posted:

Actually, while I'm thinking of it, the pyramids in ancient Egypt also had names. The Great Pyramid's proper name is Khufu's Horizon, and the name of Djedefre's pyramid (Khufu's successor) is Djedefre's Starry Sky.
I forgot that detail, that's awesome. Thank you.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also Night Boat strikes me as possibly one of those things where it has a name, but rarely spoken of because it's considered dangerous to speak of it. Hades was apparently rarely directly referred to by name.

Interested in the source on that one, since the Iliad namedrops Hades a few times and you'd expect that to be spoken aloud quite a bit. Is it a matter of different names?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Orbs posted:

I wonder what the original name of that monument was, I don't think it was Stonehenge iirc. I bet the original name was way more rad.

I forgot that detail, that's awesome. Thank you.

Possibly, but it might also translate to "The People-What-Live-On-Hills Fancy Circle of Very Big Rocks"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It was called ENEMY PORTAL

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Orbs posted:

No, I think that was an early mediaeval term. And Stonehenge not being a henge proper is a modern thing. Something to do with where the ditches are or something from memory.

Mad Hamish posted:

Either '60's British psych bands or strains of hash.

(but that's pretty cool, I didn't actually know that!)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mister Olympus posted:

Interested in the source on that one, since the Iliad namedrops Hades a few times and you'd expect that to be spoken aloud quite a bit. Is it a matter of different names?

The Iliad is also full of people getting pierced, slashed, mangled, crushed with pointy rocks, flung down to the dust by the hand of god, etc. The horror of death and the grave is a major theme from the beginning. It’s fitting for Hades himself to be evoked in such a context…but if you believe the Iliad is a divinely inspired work and its conception of the gods is true or mostly true, you probably wouldn’t want it to happen to you.

By historical times the name Plouton had come to be used for Hades. Whence Latin Pluto, for example. I don’t think it was a total taboo to say the original name or anything. But like the Furies (or the fairies, or the devil…) it’s better not.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Orbs posted:

According to medieval legend, it was called the Giant's Dance before the British stole it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

According to medieval legend, it was called the Giant's Dance before the British stole it

I'm intrigued by this, mostly because it introduced me to the idea that parts of other stone rings and "henges" were moved to create new ones. Such as the postulated movement of stones from Waun Mawn stone circle in Wales to Stonehenge. I wonder how often stones were moved, and if it was an act of conquest, religious revivalism, or something else.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

I'm intrigued by this, mostly because it introduced me to the idea that parts of other stone rings and "henges" were moved to create new ones. Such as the postulated movement of stones from Waun Mawn stone circle in Wales to Stonehenge. I wonder how often stones were moved, and if it was an act of conquest, religious revivalism, or something else.

stealing cultural artifacts is a proud british tradition

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

zoux posted:

Current one is sublime
Yeah but it didn't get tapped in the explicitly relevant conversation over several pages a few pages ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brawnfire posted:

Merlin's orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The new book arguing that enslaved people co-authored the Bible

Looks interesting, but I don't know enough about bible history to tell if it's guff or not.