Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

His Divine Shadow posted:

Inspector Gadget as a space marine?

Lanky, absentminded, and sporting mechadendrites up the wazoo? He's an obvious early prophet of the Cult Mechanicum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
In the 41st millennium, a single badly-damaged advertisement poster for Inspector Gadget still exists. It is one of the most sacred relics on Mars, and standing in its presence has brought tears to the eyes of every magos who still possesses biological eyes. It is the oldest-known evidence of the Machine Cult's beliefs, and is considered most remarkable because, as best as can be determined, augmetic technology of the type depicted did not exist until several centuries later. There is ongoing debate of whether it represents a prophecy or an aspirational goal.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kylaer posted:

In the 41st millennium, a single badly-damaged advertisement poster for Inspector Gadget still exists. It is one of the most sacred relics on Mars, and standing in its presence has brought tears to the eyes of every magos who still possesses biological eyes. It is the oldest-known evidence of the Machine Cult's beliefs, and is considered most remarkable because, as best as can be determined, augmetic technology of the type depicted did not exist until several centuries later. There is ongoing debate of whether it represents a prophecy or an aspirational goal.

The Inscription of the Gadgeted One

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I’ve just been relistening to one of my favorite albums of all time, The Thermals’ The Body, The Blood, The Machine, and I realized that it basically works as a Horus Heresy concept album. I am 99% sure it’s unintentional, but:
Here’s Your Future - the Emperor creates the Primarchs
I Might Need You to Kill - the Emperor recovers the Primarchs and meets Horus
An Ear for Baby - a human becomes a Space Marine and learns about the Great Crusade
A Pillar of Salt - combination of the Great Crusade and the destruction of Monarchia
Returning to the Fold - Lorgar’s fall to Chaos
Test Pattern - the Chaos Gods tempt and ensnare Horus
St. Rosa and the Swallows - this one is a little trickier but I think it’s the Legions falling to Chaos a bit at a time, and Cyrene dying
Back to the Sea - the traitor legions fight their way to Terra
Power Doesn’t Run on Nothing - the Siege and the duel between the Emperor and Horus
I Hold the Sound - the death of Horus and the aftermath of the Siege

It works! I’d watch that rock opera.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mariner by Cult of Luna is also 40k as gently caress, it's good poo poo, end of statement.

In other news, finished Ascension Day. What a treat. Can't wait for his next thing!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

(there’s no HH book better than Know No Fear).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

(there’s no HH book better than Know No Fear).

:hmmyes:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
what if i'm terrified of when it rains main battle tanks?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

you must know no fear

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

my cousin knows him, does that count

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

you must know no fear

Fear, pronounced far, is Irish for man.

Fír, pronounced fear, is Irish for men.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

habeasdorkus posted:

I'd be more terrified when it starts raining baneblades.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Hallelujah!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Arc Hammer posted:

The Codex Astartes calls this maneuver Steel Rain.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I like Flight of the Eisenstein so far, the prose feels more descriptive and better written than the previous two books. The author takes more liberties with embellishments and descriptions.

The only mark against it is that the book is already filler and retreading the stuff covered in the previous two. Which is probably not the fault of the author.

The big thing here is that again space marines are treated like people. There's less time spent on droning on about his divine majesty the emperor or god like ubermen and spends more time on very human character interactions between the death guard characters.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 5, 2024

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

I like Flight of the Eisenstein so far, the prose feels more descriptive and better written than the previous two books. The author takes more liberties with embellishments and descriptions.

The only mark against it is that the book is already filler and retreading the stuff covered in the previous two. Which is probably not the fault of the author.

The big thing here is that again space marines are treated like people. There's less time spent on droning on about his divine majesty the emperor or god like ubermen and spends more time on very human character interactions between the death guard characters.

I’m in the middle of a reread and you’re right. I remember disliking Eisenstein, and it’s not a good book, but after False Gods and especially Galaxy in Flames it’s a breath of fresh air. Those two are painful to read at times.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Daemon World by Ben Counter is actually pretty good and it's also a good look at chaos held worlds.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’m in the middle of a reread and you’re right. I remember disliking Eisenstein, and it’s not a good book, but after False Gods and especially Galaxy in Flames it’s a breath of fresh air. Those two are painful to read at times.

The long lost abridged versions of those two were fine.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

For a reread probably, I recall hearing they cut a bunch of the remembrancer stuff, and my personal opinion is that you need those chapters as the start of a throughline up until and including TEatD.

Edit: and also I think abridged fiction is fundamentally wrong no matter what but that's even more of a personal opinion.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My memory of it is that it's a lot more focused on the Death Guard specifically, and Garro especially. Which is quite different from it's predecessors who have one major viewpoint and then bop around the fleet to different supporting casts. This memory is from 2 years ago for when I last read it.

Given how long the heresy books went, I'm surprised Keeler isn't a bigger cult figure in the Ecclesiarchy.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Calax posted:

My memory of it is that it's a lot more focused on the Death Guard specifically, and Garro especially. Which is quite different from it's predecessors who have one major viewpoint and then bop around the fleet to different supporting casts. This memory is from 2 years ago for when I last read it.

Given how long the heresy books went, I'm surprised Keeler isn't a bigger cult figure in the Ecclesiarchy.

She is, eventually, after the Siege is over, but it's been 10 thousand years, and it took a couple of thousand of those years for Ecclesiarchy to grow almost all-powerful, before being cut down to size.

One of the Eisenhorn short stories involves people attempting to lay hands on an picture of Horus taken by Saint Euphrati Keeler and her notes. The mindfuck for people living M41 is that the rumors are that her notes claim that Emperor wasn't originally worshiped as a god and even denied his godhood, and the church was started against his will. From their point of view, if that were true, either their founding Saint committed heresy or their god is a liar.

Of course, the real-world explanation is that Keeler was only created for Horus Heresy by Abnett.

Warden fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 7, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nathaniel Garro serves the same role in the death guard plot as Garviel Loken does in the luna wolves. The book still jumps around different perspectives of the death guard characters, but it might be more focused on Garro and the 7th company, but that also just might be the impression you get because we're comparing 1 book worth of characters to 3.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Twice Dead King duology was pretty drat good, I hope there's more.

Time to read his ork books.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Just finished Lord of Excess and I really liked it even if some stuff felt kinda rushed, full spoilered thoughts below.

Xantine is a really good Emperor's Children protagonist, he embodies everything about the legion that I like ESPECIALLY his unearned self confidence. The long running bit that Abaddon is his sworn enemy and arch rival was pretty funny, especially when his POV narration basically confirms Abby has no loving idea who he is. He goes on grandiose speeches and gets punched in the face in the middle of them, starts up another speech and gets punched again, then turns that against Torachon at the end and interrupts their big speech to piss them off. Really great payoff there. I'm glad Xantine didn't end up dying, would be cool to see him in future adventures of him failing upwards somewhere else with Vavisk by his side (also really liked Vavisk as a character. The whole EC cast are great to varying degrees but Xantine is just oof, *chefs kiss* what a good character.

The Genestealer stuff in the first quarter was really good, but then it abruptly went away until the last 2 chapters where they returned super hastily and the payoff there was a Tyranid invasion that destroys the planet in the course of 1 single chapter which gave me whiplash. The Khornate cult popping up felt much better and probably should have been the downfall of the planet, that plotline sorta just dies as soon as Gravemaker gets popped (really enjoyed the boy's arc though from choir boy to greater daemon though). Lots of failing weapons though? There are two characters that are saved by weapons malfunctions separated by maybe 1 chapter, felt like a weird crutch to get characters out of situations.

Going to read Deathworlder next, I'm hearing good things about it and I've never read a Guard novel other than Fall of Cadia I guess.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 7, 2024

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Azubah posted:

Twice Dead King duology was pretty drat good, I hope there's more.

Time to read his ork books.

Just finished his ork.bools and they are loving awesome.

Have you read/listened to The Infinite and The Devine?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I have read the millennia old couple routine, yes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Lostconfused posted:

Nathaniel Garro serves the same role in the death guard plot as Garviel Loken does in the luna wolves. The book still jumps around different perspectives of the death guard characters, but it might be more focused on Garro and the 7th company, but that also just might be the impression you get because we're comparing 1 book worth of characters to 3.

Garro and friends are about 0.5 books worth of character spread out over like a half dozen books

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Nazzadan posted:

Going to read Deathworlder next, I'm hearing good things about it and I've never read a Guard novel other than Fall of Cadia I guess.

Eh nevermind I'm going to start going through the Eisenhorn series, never got around to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Garro and friends are about 0.5 books worth of character spread out over like a half dozen books

Garro’s so boring if he was an ultramarine he’d be considered a parody. Just the most :geno: guy