Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nessus posted:

Are you concerned more about the players being stumped or about them deciding it's time to execute a forensic analysis based on incomplete descriptions without talking to other humans?

Yeah, I'm mainly concerned that they all collectively agree to be like "Ok, we settle in for a pleasant day and a half's cruise. What happens when we get there?"

quote:

Possible hooks would be (in order of gentleness), seeing a crewman or officer asking around regarding some lost valuables and seeing people treat these requests with garrulous pleasure, having an established NPC propose it, and just having it in your back pocket if they seem stumped or start trying to do geomancy over the general location they're going to based on ordnance survey maps instead of, like, doing something you had planned.

It might also be useful to sort of pre-sketch Chatty Cathy, the Approachable NPC, whether they are found in the passenger lounge of the ship or in a dockside bar, so you can easily slip into that voice and possibly do a bit of amusing roleplay to engage whoever the party face or faces are. (As appropriate for your own style of course.)

I did try to set up a friendly, chatty bartender, whom they met on the first night, but I didn't get the sense that any of them wanted to go after the bait, eg. to return to him, interview him some more, ask about what he's heard. That's when I started to fret over this issue.

My group tends to be rather literal-minded and direct. "Get to the spot and look for the things, talk to this one specific person we heard about, etc." If I don't specifically mention something as being in a scene, they don't really go looking for things. They seem reluctant to just throw out ideas like "Can we look for someone who looks bored and friendly? Is there a [X] in the room?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
You can also signpost using some structure. If you say “what do you want to do during the trip” they’ll say “er relax?”. If you say “You have five days. The boat docks at A on Tuesday and B on Wednesday. What are you each doing on Monday morning?” and going by half-day you’ll have forced them to think about what they’re doing and given them a sense of limited opportunities they have to maximise the use of.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Idea rolls.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The pcs are all experts in mythos and paranorma phenomena and indicators. Plus as PCs they are naturally nosey fuckers. Even if they fully intend to relax and chill out, it's inevitable that something or someone they inadvertently see or here on the ship will catch their attention.

The fancy looking lady at the bar with a strange tattoo on her neck, the handsome young man on the sun lounger reading a mythos text, the crew loading on board a double locked chest with an elder sign carved into the inlay etc. etc Things like that you can feed them even if they aren't for looking it.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 31, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thoroughly enjoying running MoN, it actually feels p brisk, we are in London and the investigators are figuring stuff out and keeping mostly under the radar, it's a fun game of cat and mouse.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Two new Cthulhu related things

Elder Mythos

quote:

Elder Mythos is a cosmic horror tabletop role-playing game in which players will incarnate frightening Lovecraftian Entities vying to destroy or control the world.

Through shared worldbuilding or by choosing a Scenario, players will weave a conversation that will create a cosmic horror narrative.

Choosing among 12 different Entities - including Hastur The Unspeakable One and Cthulhu The Great Dreamer - each with its own Attributes and Powers, each player will have to pursue unique and disturbing purposes.

Using adepts of ancient cults, nightmarish creatures and priestly figures of immense power as expendable resources, players will create a terrifying plot amid catastrophes and consequences.

In this tabletop RPG, the Cthulhu Mythos, once again, come to life - and you will incarnate them!

Elder Mythos uses a Year Zero System hack designed to handle cosmic horrors without necessitating preparation from the Eldritch Master.

This game is characterized by an emergent and intuitive gameplay, where the fate of entire cities will be mapped out with a few dice rolls.

Building a pool of D6s using the Entities' Attributes and Resources, players must strive to get at least a 6, but beware! Obtaining more than a 6 will lead to Catastrophic Success: the chaos will be out of control for the Entity's emanations, and even if it succeeds, incredible twists and turns could upset the narrative.

By performing Actions on the Scenario’s Map, players will fight for the control of the setting, but it will not be easy! Other playing Entities, as well as the Eldritch Master Resources, from occult detectives to human organization, will hamper your plots.

You are an Elder Entity: for you, twisting the rules using your unspeakable powers it's effortless. Take possession of the Eldritch Master Resources with Cthulhu’s effigies, and drive them mad; swap the initiative order with Nyarlathotep’s omnipotence on the Dreamlands.

I've already backed this and it has blown through it's funding minimum so that it is now unlocking stretch goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manaprojectstudio/elder-mythos-roleplaying-game

---

Cohors Cthulhu Tactics

quote:

Adventure Wargaming in the Hidden War

Set in the Cohors Cthulhu universe during the height of Imperial Rome, you begin your heroic journey as one of a handful of survivors of an ambush, desperately trying to escape the Mythos-ridden mists of a Germanic forest. As your heroes grow in experience and power, you will fulfil your destiny, becoming the leader of a powerful Legion and facing the avatars of the Outer Gods themselves in full-scale war!

Played solo or cooperatively, Cohors Cthulhu Tactics fuses the strategic nuance of tabletop wargames with the immersive narrative of roleplaying games, and will feature a wide range of 28mm miniatures in both resin and 3D print at-home STL files, all designed to match the scale of leading historical miniatures manufactures and make it easy for you to build your Legions!

Kickstarting in June

https://www.modiphius.net/en-us/pages/cohors-cthulhu-tactics

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Thinking of putting a hat on a hat on a hat and wondering if its a good idea or not.

Made a Secret Hitler/The Thing shotgun and I'm running it for some friends. Gimmick is, instead of replacing people, it just makes copies, who the accuse the real character of being fake and try to confuse the party. It's an excuse for the DM to do bad impressions of the players characters for a horselaugh for 4 hours, and maybe trick a player into accidentally gutshooting another player.

I make clear through mechanics, retroactively, that at least one PC was canonically put out of the action so at least one of the NPCs to show up in Act II and do the spiderman meme is their friends real character, to cut down on triggerhappiness.

I just realized, watching Ice Station Zebra high, cause secret polar missions. Would it be weird if I took Ice Station Zebra's will they or wont they double agent angle and Alien(s) evil government/corporation angle and had the NPC that takes them out on the ice to have secret orders to bring back the Thing (a shoggoth)'s protoplasm for weapons purposes?

I.e. once they come up with a fool proof Thing test, and the fur starts flying, all of a sudden they are betrayed by the single provably human NPC in the game be annoying and gratuitous or a funny goof?

Would it help if I told you I was planning on naming him Asche Burkhardt - it would be the (weimar) German government dispatching them for reasons primarily having to do with thats where they were at the end of the last module.

Also its been my experience that the players either immediately put me in a logic headlock with a foolproof test or just start blasting which is in it's way also a foolproof test for who is and isn't human. It's, IMO, and if I can do it right, a way to add a bonus surprise to a module where the players think they resolved the narrative tension 15 minutes in.

weekly font posted:

Is this for your usual game group or are looking to publish it? Cause only with the latter is this always a problem. I know some GMs don’t like to hear this but some playgroups want rails. It’s just they want a roller coaster with surprise twists and loops and not a steam train going over the desert.

If you’re running for friends and think they will buy in to the world cause they wanna hang out with friends and roll dice then what you’re creating is fine and sounds like a lot of fun as long as you have the ability to zig when they inevitably zag from your outline. Thats the difference between a linear adventure and railroading.

Also, friend group. Your opinion has been my gut opinion but I've never seen it expressed. Yea, everyone had fun playacting The Wire And Miami Vice But 1920. Renamed the Scarface/Depaahted undercover cop's alibi from Savage Henry to Jackie Daytona, and I just wanna brag about giving myself an excuse to play a Matt Berry character as a major villain.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 10, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hey, if you've backed any Petersen Kickstarters check your email.

25,000 of us have a surprise coming.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

moths posted:

Hey, if you've backed any Petersen Kickstarters check your email.

25,000 of us have a surprise coming.
Oh, is he sending out the Yellow Sign?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think it's a magazine / game book from his new production partner.

It's definitely physical material since the message directs you to update your mailing address.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Are there any CoC/DG modules that are Tremors?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PipHelix posted:

Are there any CoC/DG modules that are Tremors?

Those are the not-Dune worms, right? I think in the CoC/Lovecraft unkverse they're essentially called "Dholes", in case that helps find resources on it. They wouldn't be totally the same, but close enough that you could tweak things a little bit.

As for scenarios... hm, I don't think I know of any, that you could easily modify to make it about worms. As a quick thought, maaaybe DG's Operation Fulminate, if you're willing to modify it to be about psychic worms living under a national park? (Maybe changed to a drier place like a national park in Arizona or something, I dunno. I'm not an American, but I think that might be a better location) I'll have to think about that and look through my assorted scenarios - since that's an interesting idea! Hopefully I'll think of something that might work

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Major Isoor posted:

Those are the not-Dune worms, right? I think in the CoC/Lovecraft unkverse they're essentially called "Dholes", in case that helps find resources on it. They wouldn't be totally the same, but close enough that you could tweak things a little bit.

As for scenarios... hm, I don't think I know of any, that you could easily modify to make it about worms. As a quick thought, maaaybe DG's Operation Fulminate, if you're willing to modify it to be about psychic worms living under a national park? (Maybe changed to a drier place like a national park in Arizona or something, I dunno. I'm not an American, but I think that might be a better location) I'll have to think about that and look through my assorted scenarios - since that's an interesting idea! Hopefully I'll think of something that might work

Huge parts of Death Valley were closed off within the last few years due to historic flooding wiping out a lot of the roads, that's a pretty easy scenario seed right there.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Huge parts of Death Valley were closed off within the last few years due to historic flooding wiping out a lot of the roads, that's a pretty easy scenario seed right there.

oooh, yeah - that's the start of something cool! Perfect name for a location to send agents to, as well :D

EDIT: Yeah, I'm kinda liking the sound of it, TBH. I haven't run through Fulminate myself, just read through it ages back. But yeah, this exercise of the mind has made me tempted to look into it further, myself! :v: Starting off the standard way with the mysterious absence/reappearance of the kid/clone. (spoilering just in case) Yep, odd, but nothing too whack. Then, weirdness occurs and maybe a hint of something wormy is spotted. Then... psychic worms?! :monocle:

I don't remember everything about the antagonists' backstory in Fulminate, other than that they've lived deep underground for ages, nabbing humans to clone and use for... something. But I guess one example could be that they've been experimenting to try and, for lack of better words, God Emperor of Dune themselves into controlling (or whatever you make the goal) the world via weird cloney/externally-human people. Like... some kind of early infiltration tactic similar to some of the 'lore' behind the classic 'grey' aliens, using plants to infiltrate governments and pave the way for takeover? Kinda like Cylons in Battlestar Galactica too, now that I think about it.

So like, they grabbed this kid, and after making the clone they dropped him off with the original's memories, with the goal of growing up and being a plant for a possible future takeover. (I guess they have a bad sense of the passage of time maybe, hence why it's picked up as being unusual :v: That seems to be a common trope for long-lived species who spend centuries planning, etc) The natural disaster potentially makes it even better - fewer witnesses, so depending on how the finale goes, it could be something spectacular, without too much risk of civilians witnessing it. drat, now I'm tempted to steal your worms idea! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Been running my group through the Eternal Lies campaign, and it's been a blast.

The dramatis personae are:
Professor Reed, a expert archeologist who was initially described as "the jerk archeologist from Indiana Jones who is just in it for the money and fame."
Agatha Oliver, a world famous mystery writer who had a mysterious disappearance for a few weeks before the game started.
Miss Zola, an alienist with a pirate radio station where she answers letters on air.

Full spoilers through act one and part of act two below

After their initial send off in a rainy New York from a nondescript airport hanger, they barreled their way through the Savannah node by sucking up to the psychiatrist in charge of our unfortunate, retired cultists and investigator with only minor supernatural haunts to unnerve but not deter them.

The Los Angeles node would be a much more difficult nut to track, as their scattershot approach put most of the pieces together about the dread ending of the last batch of investigators that stuck their noses into the goings on of the Los Angeles cult, but it also quickly alerted the new incarnation of said cult. After the first time their hotel rooms were tossed and one of them was questioned in the hospital after an encounter with Nectar drug dealers went wrong, they decided a tactical retreat was in order, and had the ever reliable Frank start the plane up and got out of town before the cops were wide to their intention.

They've presented their findings to Mrs. Winston-Rodgers and have convinced her that her father was both not a loon and left his work tragically unfinished. They also managed to convince her that an excursion to wartorn Ethiopia was merited, due to the cult's dedicated research in the area. Mrs. Winston-Rodgers views it as a detour and diversion when the real evil lurks in Los Angeles, but reluctantly underwrites the expedition when reminded that the investigators have to wait for the heat to die down.

Now, the red line traces it's way across the Atlantic and more than fascists wait in the African deserts.