Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

jryan42988 posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I'll likely change a few things around and reupload.
I followed you and liked the Pete Rock style track you made. The drums on that sound great.

Thanks a lot! I'll keep an eye out for the re-upload. Curious what is your DAW of choice and general workflow? Don't get a lot of traffic in this thread and it makes me feel like I am the only one on this forum making hip-hop, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Thanks a lot! I'll keep an eye out for the re-upload. Curious what is your DAW of choice and general workflow? Don't get a lot of traffic in this thread and it makes me feel like I am the only one on this forum making hip-hop, haha.

I'm using Ableton Live 9. I hope to upgrade to 10 soon but it's about $300 that I don't have to spend right now.
I've got a template that I've put a lot of work into in order to have a nice workflow. I can start up Live and have all my microphones ready to record, a sampled piano, a synth, a really flexible drum rack, return tracks (Short reverb, Long Reverb, Short Delay, Long Delay, Parallel Compression, etc.), and some auxiliary tracks. You?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

jryan42988 posted:

I'm using Ableton Live 9. I hope to upgrade to 10 soon but it's about $300 that I don't have to spend right now.
I've got a template that I've put a lot of work into in order to have a nice workflow. I can start up Live and have all my microphones ready to record, a sampled piano, a synth, a really flexible drum rack, return tracks (Short reverb, Long Reverb, Short Delay, Long Delay, Parallel Compression, etc.), and some auxiliary tracks. You?

Ooh, that's a great idea to split out return tracks like that, I am totally going to steal that. I always end up creating them as needed but I always need them haha.

I'm running Ableton Live 10 (the upgrade is really really nice and you should be able to find it on sale at some point) and also use a template that I have been working on for a while now. For hardware (outisde laptop) I am using:

Focurite 18i8 Audio Interface
KRK Rokit 6 Studio Monitors
Push2
AT-LP120 Turntable
Traktor Z2 Mixer
Korg Minilogue
Yamah YPG-235 Keyboard (use as a MIDI controller when I want to play keys instead of the Push2)
Rode NT1-A Microphone

I will usually start with grabbing a few records from my collection and searching for a sample I like. Once I find something, I will warp, loop, and/or chop it up to figure out how I want to re-arrange it. Then I usually lay down a simple drum pattern to give me some rhythm to play the sample over and will start toying with different patterns. Lately though I have also been working with a talented artist as his engineer/producer/mixer. He'll come over to my home studio and we will just start jamming away. I'll set up a bass or synth he can play through the keyboard while I jam out some drums on the Push2. We'll record a bunch of parts and then I'll go back in and arrange everything to give it structure. I have learned a lot from these sessions and am really pleased with the music we have been making. It's more on the Funk/Soul side of things but I am really liking the opportunity to work with someone and epand my skillset.

If you get a chance to check it out, the song "Getting Lost" on my soundcloud is one we wrote together recently.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jryan42988 posted:

https://soundcloud.com/jryanmusic/venus

Check out my latest track^^

Feedback is hugely appreciated.

It sounds pretty cool but it's about as hip hop as a Wilco track :shrug:

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Hey here's one.