Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ultigonio posted:

This is the most valuable post you have ever made.

Cutting down on basically everything, this is the final OP:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20236

Holy poo poo, much better. I was enjoying the ever-mounting saga of the OP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The big pictures of game boxes people should pick up in stores is good stuff. If people don't know what Donkey Kong is they probably don't know how to read anyway.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Holy poo poo, much better. I was enjoying the ever-mounting saga of the OP though.

I have a tendency to write stuff nobody will read. See: the OP of my LP from a year or so ago.

edit: Added in Armillo to the recommended Digital games. This looks silly

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 19, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Kaubocks posted:

Tried the W101 demo to be sure if I like it or not and I still don't. I like stylistic games but it's just a constant visual barrage and it was hard to tell what was going on ever and I constantly got smacked around as a result. It's not that I don't know how to block or dodge I just straight up could never tell I was being attacked by something until I was taking damage because there's so much poo poo going on screen at all times.

I agree there's always a lot going on in the game, but I think it's pretty good at giving you visual and audio cues. The problem is it doesn't explain how you're supposed to react to those cues so it's either trial and error or looking up what to do. If you haven't seen Chip and Ironicus's LP the first few videos do a much better job of showing off the game then the demo does.

I think there's a lot of awesome content in Wonderful 101, it's just too bad so few people will see it because the game does not do a good job getting you over the initial difficulty hump.

Folks posted:

OP Talk

Although I agree the OP shouldn't be excessive, my understanding of the goal is to make something people can reference, not something everyone's expected to read the entire thing. A number of people have asked the same questions about technical issues and general stuff like game recommendations. People can always continue to ask those same questions, but it seems like it would be really helpful if they could just Ctrl+F the OP to find out why their system just automatically downloaded a demo, or does X controller work with Y game, or etc. The current thread's gotten about ~3 million views and there are solutions to technical issues and just good comments/content throughout it, but it seems like it'd be a hell of a lot better to put that kind of stuff together in the OP than having people dig through 1000+ pages.

Concise is still the way to go, but you can be both concise and informative.

A straightforward and simple first post with lengthy content in a successive post seems like a good idea though, and I think Ultigonio's mentioned doing that already.

Edit: So yeah, missed that recent link. I think really that's great - again nice and simple for the first post with more elaborate stuff later. Want to see NES Remix 2 up there though!

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 19, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CatsPajamas posted:

A straightforward and simple first post with lengthy content in a successive post seems like a good idea though, and I think Ultigonio's mentioned doing that already.

Yeah, I'm taking a step back, and I'm just going to go straight ahead with making the OP tomorrow. I'll have a complete first post that will contain everything people actually care about, and I'll spend some time from there filling out the second and third posts. I may just leave the latter two empty - if there's no need, I'll leave 'em be.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I wish this meme would loving die because it comes up constantly and it's completely wrong. It uses the sensor bar to recalibrate pretty frequently and the game is much worse without it. I wonder how many people hated the controls because of this shoddy advice.

I find this very hard to believe, because I had the sensor bar hooked up and the pointer controls were still complete horseshit that needed to be recentred with the dpad nearly every time I had to use them. I can't imagine how they could be any worse without it. Other games that didn't use the motion plus stuff at all worked perfectly fine.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Little update to the OP, nintendo increased the prices of the refurbished Wiimotes to $25.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fremry posted:

Little update to the OP, nintendo increased the prices of the refurbished Wiimotes to $25.

Those fuckers better not touch the price of a refurb console until after Thursday morning. :mad: :f5:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

codenameFANGIO posted:

Those fuckers better not touch the price of a refurb console until after Thursday morning. :mad: :f5:

They upped the price of the Wiimotes back in mid-july and I think they did it because the demand was so high for them. At one point the Black wiimotes were back ordered for a couple weeks and the white Wiimotes briefly had a backorder. At one point I called and asked about the white wiimotes and the lady said "Let me find out, we just got a bunch in the warehouse." Then she came back and said "Eventhough we have a bunch in the warehouse, they are all being used to fill current orders."

I think it was the post-E3 rush that made them up the price. I wouldn't be too concerned about the refurb consoles going up in price. They are still behind the 8-ball in terms of console sales.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Armillo looks like something Rare would have put out on the N64.

It's like Jet Force Gemini and Buzz Bumble had a kid.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Trent posted:

Armillo looks like something Rare would have put out on the N64.

It's like Jet Force Gemini and Buzz Bumble had a kid.

I thought you were talking about gameplay, then I looked the game up on youtube and became disappointed :smith:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Fremry posted:

Thanks, it's been fixed. I'm just kinda' staring at the OP before I post it, now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Goodbye old Wii U thread. We had some good times here. We laughed, we cried, and yes - even learned to love.

Waa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Hello, new Wii U General Discussion.

• Locked thread