Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Can someone please explain why positional asphyxiation is such a big deal for sleeping in something like a Baby Bjorn bouncer and not a car seat?

I know all the studies, I know all the recommendations, so please don’t spam me with links, etc. I’m just trying to make sense of why sleeping in a car seat for an hour and a half (provided it’s installed and restrained correctly) is okay, but a bouncer that makes the same angle to horizontal is not. If I have my eyes on my kid with a monitor and she’s not rolling over onto her face, what exactly is different? Is it the shoulder straps?

I swear some of these studies are providing excessively broad recommendations for parents that severely hosed up (like their kid could roll, and they let the kid sleep in the thing overnight, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's generally not advised to let an infant sleep in their car seat. You let them sleep in the car seat when they are in the car because what the gently caress else are you going to do? At home where you use the bouncer you have options that are safe for sleep that you should use.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I let mine sleep in the car seat if we came home and he was still sleeping. Mind you I’d just sit on the couch watching him but it was a moment of zen for a while. You just end up doing whatever.

Edit: We also use one of those Doona seats so the car seat is just the stroller also so I could just rock him a bit while chilling.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

worse, probably in America

Bomb threats were much more of a high school thing as a kid. I'm surprised OP gets them at a kindergarten level - is this some kind of K-8 / K-12 joint? I also thought they were a bit passe now and that the cool kids are threatening to shoot up the joint.

Crazy people, what can you say? They threatened the whole school district.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah our district was very rural when it was founded so all the schools for all the ages are in the same place. It's fuckin weird.

About a month ago someone called in a bomb threat, so he went and called them in for random schools on the campus. 4 threats in 3 days. Complete waste of everyone's time and energy

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's generally not advised to let an infant sleep in their car seat. You let them sleep in the car seat when they are in the car because what the gently caress else are you going to do?

Wake them up constantly so that they’re miserable and crying but definitely breathing

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

illcendiary posted:

Wake them up constantly so that they’re miserable and crying but definitely breathing

Don't worry, just give it 40 years and we'll so who's tired of wiping someone else's rear end all day

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Can someone please explain why positional asphyxiation is such a big deal for sleeping in something like a Baby Bjorn bouncer and not a car seat?

I know all the studies, I know all the recommendations, so please don’t spam me with links, etc. I’m just trying to make sense of why sleeping in a car seat for an hour and a half (provided it’s installed and restrained correctly) is okay, but a bouncer that makes the same angle to horizontal is not. If I have my eyes on my kid with a monitor and she’s not rolling over onto her face, what exactly is different? Is it the shoulder straps?

I swear some of these studies are providing excessively broad recommendations for parents that severely hosed up (like their kid could roll, and they let the kid sleep in the thing overnight, etc.).

I've never heard this

I think in general car seats have better head rolling protection. The premium car seats seem to have an extra set of pillows to minimize neck rolling, and can be removed as the baby grows, and the straps are designed and certified by an engineer

The straps in our mamaroo seemed like an absolute strangulation hazard it didn't get much use

Neck strength/neck control also varies a lot by child. My nephew had basically none and my wife's sister gifted us an entire collection of neck support pillows. By comparison our daughter had full neck control by the end of week 1 and was always twisting her head around to see what was going on

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
The way it was explained to me is that it isn't about strangulation, it's about positional suffocation. Our daughter was a little under a month early and it's especially a concern with preemies, so we got a pretty in-depth briefing on it. The hospital put her through a little stress test where they had her on all the various monitors and the had her sit in her car seat for an hour to make sure she was good in that position for at least that long. The nurse working with us said that it's standard for preemies but they're rolling it out to the full term kids too, because some kids just stop breathing if they're in that position for too long. I'm forgetting the details now, but it has to do with them being a little compressed in there and not having the muscle mass to really push back against the position if they're having difficulty breathing.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
One of the positions we were warned about is slumping forward, chin on chest. That can be enough to collapse the throat and prevent the child from breathing.

And like all baby things, the advice tends to be on the side of 0-risk-is-the-only-acceptable-amount, so I'm seeing advice that is warning about that possibility through age 2 and some that says only until they can sit up.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also, when the car seat is in the car it is installed at the best angle to prevent positional asphyxiation. When the car seat is sitting somewhere else, that angle might not be present and it would be the same type of situation for a swings and bouncers and what not.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

It's amazing how hard having one kid is. Then how hard having two kids is. Then how easy going back to one kid is.

Casually confessing to murder on SomethingAwful is pretty standard now that I think of it. :v:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Best to keep kids awake 24/7 imo, they could die randomly at any time. They know that too which is why children fight sleep so hard, their parents are trying to kill them!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Giant Metal Robot posted:

One of the positions we were warned about is slumping forward, chin on chest. That can be enough to collapse the throat and prevent the child from breathing.
The straps on the Bjorn are pretty low, it's easy for a kiddo to slump over in it. With a bucket seat buckle high over the chest and appropriately tight it's much less likely to slump.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I’ve always heard that even car seats are only safe for sleep in the car or attached to the stroller; otherwise the angle might lead to asphyxiation. I let my kids sleep in theirs inside sometimes but I kept a close eye on them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Giant Metal Robot posted:

One of the positions we were warned about is slumping forward, chin on chest. ... and some that says only until they can sit up.

Yeah I am leaning towards this

I can see it being an issue for newborns up to 3 months. It seems like the risk starts dropping to zero as they approach 6 months but I'm not a doctor

We had/have the uppa baby mesa, designed for 0-6 mo

1) the baby is so far reclined they're basically laying on their back, the seat also has a level, and the base can be adjusted so it sits in the car at the correct angle. I guess that's why I was so surprised to hear about this car seat thing
2) it has enormous head support pillows on both sides that prevent the head to roll to one side, which probably prevents a head roll evolving into a slump
3) with the chest strap on, and near the collar bone it's virtually impossible to sit forward/upright, let alone slump forward
4) I'm kinda :spergin: about strapping my kid in comfortably tight into the seat, if you're lazy about strap tightness and letting the chest strap slide down you're defeating most of the design of the car seat

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nachos posted:

Best to keep kids awake 24/7 imo, they could die randomly at any time. They know that too which is why children fight sleep so hard, their parents are trying to kill them!

You joke but I think this is actually one of the theories for why it’s recommended babies sleep in the same room as parents during early babyhood.

They get woken up more often from noises/parents and are less likely to get sids because of that.

That being said our boy was sleeping overnight in his own room before the recommended age so I’m not one to talk.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Eeyo posted:

You joke but I think this is actually one of the theories for why it’s recommended babies sleep in the same room as parents during early babyhood.

They get woken up more often from noises/parents and are less likely to get sids because of that.

That being said our boy was sleeping overnight in his own room before the recommended age so I’m not one to talk.

It’s the theory behind “back to sleep” isn’t it? Stomach they sleep too deeply? Not sure if it works that way, but “back to sleep” did work as far as I know

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Tomorrow is Potty Training Day, Take 1. May God have mercy on our souls

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Academician Nomad posted:

Tomorrow is Potty Training Day, Take 1. May God have mercy on our souls

Good luck, we're 6 months in and poop is still a challenge :negative:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Eeyo posted:

Yeah I understand the reasoning behind it but then I just think about how loving dumb and useless human babies are from an evolutionary perspective. Not only are babies completely dependent on their parents forever but if they are too good at the thing that helps them grow properly they literally die. We probably should have gone extinct ages ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Taking a toddler to Hawaii next month. Please send me tips, tricks, and recommendations. My kid is extremely busy and active.