Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The local pd would use ozium cans in their squad cars after cleaning up various... Human liquids from the rear of their squad cars. From what I've been told, it works rather well. Also, that vovlo wagon is damned nice looking. You might try applying a coat of clear to the dip to keep it from fading quite as bad. I know here in florida, it only takes a year for it to start fading and become a complete pain to remove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I bought a $675 shitbox ($700 with $25 cash back in the glovebox). It's inspected, just needed front brakes (had in a box on my shelf of subaru parts) and a speed sensor (same deal). Being a brighton it had no tachometer, but I had a tach head on my shelf-o-poo poo as well. Interior was disgusting, I pressure washed it :v:
Seats were horrible, but slow_is_fast gave me a set of front seats out of a WRX :3:
The radio is dangling out of the center stack, so I need to junkyard the proper bracketry poo poo to hold it in and the speakers are shot. Not bad for about $800 total invested.
Best part about the car is that it has absolfuckinglutely no rust, no way it's a native Mainer.

I've already taken it offroad and dented the oilpan and smashed the exhaust up, it needs a skid plate and a lift and stuff.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Elmnt80 posted:

ozium cans

Thanks for the reminder. I bought some of this off amazon previously to try and get smoke smell out of some fabric. It didn't work 100% but this isn't as bad. And I already have it so I might as well.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

chrisgt posted:

I bought a $675 shitbox ($700 with $25 cash back in the glovebox). It's inspected, just needed front brakes (had in a box on my shelf of subaru parts) and a speed sensor (same deal). Being a brighton it had no tachometer, but I had a tach head on my shelf-o-poo poo as well. Interior was disgusting, I pressure washed it :v:
Seats were horrible, but slow_is_fast gave me a set of front seats out of a WRX :3:
The radio is dangling out of the center stack, so I need to junkyard the proper bracketry poo poo to hold it in and the speakers are shot. Not bad for about $800 total invested.
Best part about the car is that it has absolfuckinglutely no rust, no way it's a native Mainer.

I've already taken it offroad and dented the oilpan and smashed the exhaust up, it needs a skid plate and a lift and stuff.

Legitimately jealous of your beater Legacy wagon. Nice find.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

If all goes well I may be trading my Cherokee for an Outback today as well.

Here's hoping it isn't a total piece of poo poo once I get my mechanic to take a look at it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I would avoid buying a subaru with a 2.5L engine at all cost... Unless you like to regularly change engines and head gaskets. Get a subaru with a 2.2 and 5 speed, or if you really want auto make sure it shifts well and doesn't feel like a 4x4 on pavement. The autos last forever if they're in decent shape and you tune them up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That bad, eh? The one I'm looking at today is an '04 with the 2.5. Also a couple of Chevys on my list, I need either a wagon or a truck given that I like to haul more cargo than fits in a coupe and they keep not paving the roads out to where I work so a little ground clearance is nice.

Edit : There -is- a 2.2L 5 speed for sale north of here, but it's got known tranny issues and 295k miles on it, and I don't have anyplace to work on it, hence why I'm trying to avoid another project.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 27, 2016

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What would be wrong with getting a Focus ZTW? The SES Wagon usually only came with the garbage split port (that said I've seen a ton of them still running in Vermont) but if you can find it with the duratec or zetec optioned then that would work too. They're absolutely great in the winter with a set of winter tires. Also at least up here you avoid the subaru tax. While the cargo space isn't as long in the Focus ZX5 it's still pretty good should you not be able to find a wagon. The 2.0L Zetec is a good compromise between power and gas mileage.

With a set of 195/65/15s you have more than enough ground clearance. I used to have to park in a completely full parking lot regularly and I would just jump the curb and park on the grass.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 27, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Welp. Rusted out POS anyway. 180k miles and still on the original timing belt. No thanks.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I wouldn't buy a car with common issues that are really expensive to pay other people to fix, that's just insane. I do all my own work on my cars, so I can get away with things like 80's mercedes because the parts actually aren't that expensive. But if you're gonna be paying someone to keep a 2.5L subaru alive, you'll go broke. Also, there's no such thing as nowhere to work on a car. I've done engine swaps in parking lots, transmission swaps outside in the snow, all sorts of work on the side of a residential road. Just depends on your level of motivation to fix the thing.

Honestly, if you're paying someone to repair a car, get something a bit newer. If you choose wisely, more money up front will be cheaper in the long run.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Leaving this here as well as the CL thread; V8 AWD manual wagon:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I finished the LX9 engine swap. First of its kind, as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Congrats! I saw the GRM thread and it's a pretty neat advancement in GM beater science.

• Locked thread