Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Symptomless Coma posted:

If a market (The New Yorker - why not?) doesn't specifically say "no multiples please", does that mean they're fine with it?

I tend to assume that, unless a publication says that they're okay with [x], they probably don't want you to do [x].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Multiples, yeah, if they say not to just wait for the rejection.

Although, unless they promise a miniscule turnaround time (like 2 weeks), screw anyone that says no simsubs.

Simsub all day, simsub all night

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

This thread is kinda dead, so I'll post come crap.

I got a dark fantasy journal called Aghast that is open to submissions.

I recently sold a flash piece to Page & Spine, so that's nice. I'm waiting to hear from Read Short Fiction, they have one my stories for an atypical long time.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Read Short Fiction had one of mine for something like 250 days, but then they published it. So hang in there!

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Defenestration posted:

Although, unless they promise a miniscule turnaround time (like 2 weeks), screw anyone that says no simsubs.

Simsub all day, simsub all night
If your piece happens to get picked up, do you just send out a quick email to everyone else stating without explanation that you're retracting your piece, or what?

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Goonreads is hosting another short story writing contest. Our SA thread is here. Registration is required at Goonreads for participation, survey polls, and contest voting. The award is minimal, $50.00 (probably in an Amazon gift card). But we have had a nice donation so will run a banner soon and be able to host another contest either later this year or early next.

Click here for contest rules, a survey, and so on. The contest will begin May 1. Prompts and word count are dependent on our survey result and will be announced in April.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
I've re-regged my duotrope account and I'm going on a submission binge.

If anyone is reading or editing at a journal and wants
- A 7,129 word literary short story set in the near future about a divorcee who decides her purpose in life is to send her elderly father on a trip into space
- A 3,399 word horroresque short story about a kid who pops his eyeballs out of their sockets

hit me up on PM

leekster
Jun 20, 2013

Defenestration posted:

I've re-regged my duotrope account and I'm going on a submission binge.

Would you say Duotrope is worth the account cost?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

leekster posted:

I'd say so. I've found it pretty easy to seem some interesting stuff. It's not that much money.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

leekster posted:

I reg for a month, do a big push, then de-reg until I have something else I'm ready to send.

It's a bit of a pain but I'm willing to pay $5 when i'm actually using it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm not even using mine at the moment - I'm travelling and not doing much writing - but even then I think it's worth the $50 a year. That's less then $1 a week, I blow way more money on stuff I get a lot less out of.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Is there a reason to pay for duotrope vs. using the free submissions grinder?

http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
Just depends on what your needs are, really. Duotrope helps people keep their submissions straight, I guess? And it's more exhaustive (The Grinder doesn't have any entries for a lot of journals.) I don't personally find it worth paying for, but a lot of people like it just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Amazing... Simply amazing...
Two open at the moment in SF/F - Lightspeed's Queers Destroy SF and Uncanny Magazine - new publication

http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/special-issues/queers-destroy-science-fiction/
http://uncannymag.com/submissions/

• Locked thread