Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'd recommend just hacking the thing, dumping your games to an SD card, and reinstalling them on another Wii. Or just bypass the disc drive and play games off SD or external HDD. I can't imagine a lot of places would repair Wii disc drives these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hunt down a fabled Canadian Wii

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Agent Escalus posted:

Eh, I haven't bothered checking out what the price would be to have it fixed. Plus I'm in Canada so chances are when you add in shipping and the exchange rate etc. it could wind up being more than having it repaired. Plus, with used optical drive systems you never know what else it's been through. (Side anecdote: who else remembers the Wii general thread back in the day devolving into a multi-page tangent about smoking when it was revealed that the system's internals were susceptible to malfunctioning via cig smoke?)

Yeah, just hack your Wii and load up a hard drive. You’ll never look back I promise.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, just hack your Wii and load up a hard drive. You’ll never look back I promise.

Seconding. The games load faster too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Dolphin is a very impressive emulator as well. I played a bit of Newer Super Mario Bros., which is probably the best 2d Luigi game I've ever played, on it. I own a Wii and the required base game as well, but setting everything up was a pain in the arse and I get annoyed at Wii motion controls, so I just did it on my PC and it was grand.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SeANMcBAY posted:

Seconding. The games load faster too.

Thirding; it's absolutely incredible.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
Fourthing. I love my hacked Wii. It can play almost anything up to PS1/N64 era. I even have a SCUMMVM emulator so I can play Sam and Max Hit the Road using the Wiimote as a mouse cursor. I played through the entirety of The DIG slumped into my couch over like a 6 hour period.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

There seems to be a sale on indie games in Europe. "Weird and Wonderful" they're calling it. Significantly you can get Rain World for 11.99 versus 19.99 (40% off); West of Loathing for 6.93; Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime for 8.99 each.

Slime-san at 5.99 and Pool Panic for only 4.14. There's a few other games but nothing else that caught my eye or that I know is somewhat popular.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

What do I need to buy games on the eshop in different regions?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There seems to be a sale on indie games in Europe. "Weird and Wonderful" they're calling it. Significantly you can get Rain World for 11.99 versus 19.99 (40% off); West of Loathing for 6.93; Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime for 8.99 each.

Slime-san at 5.99 and Pool Panic for only 4.14. There's a few other games but nothing else that caught my eye or that I know is somewhat popular.

This is a U.S. thing as well and yeah I think I saw a couple other good games on sale. UnExplored is $5 currently and I think the Switch version stalls a little bit on level generation, but if a very traditional roguelike concept gussied up as an action roguelite hybrid sounds interesting then it's worth a fiver. Snake Pass is 60% off too, I think that one is good maybe?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I found a good deal on the "physical" version of the three Johto Pokemon games (basically, GB packaging for a 3DS VC download code). To my surprise, that also gave me a ton of gold coins on the My Nintendo thingy that I just used to redeem Chase-Cold Case Investigations (a short VN from the Hotel Dusk author), Art of Balance Touch (never tried this back on the Wii), and Adventure Bar Story (looked alright). Thank you, Nintendo.

Why yes, I still use my 3DS daily.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
One of these years I gotta grab a New 3DS XL before they get discontinued.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Agent Escalus posted:

They already did. Nintendo hasn't been producing those in a while. It's all New 2DS XL now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Agent Escalus posted:

I bought one back in 2017 when I already had an original 3DS XL and I'm sorry that I bothered as I never use it.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Agent Escalus posted:

They have some up on the nintendo refurbished site for $150: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat50006&navAction=pop&navCount=3

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Saoshyant posted:

I found a good deal on the "physical" version of the three Johto Pokemon games (basically, GB packaging for a 3DS VC download code). To my surprise, that also gave me a ton of gold coins on the My Nintendo thingy that I just used to redeem Chase-Cold Case Investigations (a short VN from the Hotel Dusk author), Art of Balance Touch (never tried this back on the Wii), and Adventure Bar Story (looked alright). Thank you, Nintendo.

Why yes, I still use my 3DS daily.

Where did you see this deal at? I'd be interested in physical versions of digital items.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Where did you see this deal at? I'd be interested in physical versions of digital items.

Gold and Silver from The Game Collection, Crystal from Zavvi. Both UK retailers who ship to mainland Europe. They are probably gone now, though, it's been a couple of weeks since I ordered them.

e: actually, Silver and Crystal are still available. Not helpful if you aren't in Europe, but if you are these are the best prices I could find for those.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 3, 2019

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Saoshyant posted:

Gold and Silver from The Game Collection, Crystal from Zavvi. Both UK retailers who ship to mainland Europe. They are probably gone now, though, it's been a couple of weeks since I ordered them.

e: actually, Silver and Crystal are still available. Not helpful if you aren't in Europe, but if you are these are the best prices I could find for those.

drat, thought it would also be available in the US. I've been itching to play Crystal ever since my OG cartridge's battery died and I've been too lazy to replace it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Agent Escalus posted:

I don't know if any new ones are being made, but I still see the "galaxy" one in stores a lot. FB Marketplace/Craigslist has no shortage of them either.

I purchased a 2ds XL as a backup if my new 3ds XL ever kicks it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really wish I grabbed one of those non-XL New systems for the short time they were available here in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know if any new ones are being made, but I still see the "galaxy" one in stores a lot. FB Marketplace/Craigslist has no shortage of them either.

Ditto, that's kind of what I meant. I can't imagine that they'll still be at retailers by the end of this year though. Amazon, maybe.