Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ken does not say "best of seven" or "first to three" today.

To be clear also you are second in your rundle in TCA with 118.

Yeah I ended up just having bad timing on who I tied or lost to this season, I think. I do sort of feel like I didn't "earn" my TCA in this season and the most recent one, I've had a handful of wild guesses that I was really lucky on and shocked that they were correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
I put up 125 this season, which unfortunately does not correlate with the hand-eye coordination required to buzz in as soon as the light flashes.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I missed promotion into A by literally one question. My wife got promoted to A right above me, though she benefited from a very critically-times forfeit victory, and doesn't feel like it's earned. I say if you're close enough to get promoted as a result of a single convenient forfeit, you've earned it

I made it in at 4th, though I was 3rd basically the entire season, I just happened to lose the final day. There's a distinct dropoff after us in the top 4, 3 or 4 wins at least between me and 5th.

TCA of 102 not the worst, especially with one accidental forfeit (the day of my HOA hearing, I was in that for like 6 hours and was utterly exhausted, though I still can't believe I forgot). My win rate did drop off to 0.660 in B from 0.860 in R, but that's to be expected. I guess the benefit of being relatively new is the stats still have a lot of variance in terms of category accuracy, but also I will have an abysmal sports score but do actually know some sports stuff, so on those days a sports question I know pops up I know they'll mark it 3 and I'll win.

But now I get to buckle in for a 9(6) resulting in a tie 2/3 of the time in Rundle A :toot:

EDIT: I do have one referral left if there's anyone who's been looking for one.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Congrats to Zaheer...uh, Yogesh for his TOC win

Also, any NYC goons interested in this?

https://www.edgenyc.com/en/jeopardy

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Waiting for Ken to say 69 to 420 in the sext tournament

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Still don't especially like the guy, even if he was trying to be more personable during the tournament.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ugh.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
ANOTHER TOURNAMENT? IN THIS ECONOMY?!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
But seriously, it doesn't matter how hard he was trying to not be a dick (though a lot of it came across as passive aggressive....e.g. the first time he rang in after struggling with the buzzer, he had to give a really pointed bit of extra information that came across as "I'm smarter than all of you, this buzzer is bullshit"). He had absolutely no business being in this tournament on 3 wins and especially after the poo poo he said.

I'll file this alongside anti-vaxxers and "Doctor" Oz being hosts under the category of disgraceful decisions that cheapen the game. The unfortunate part is that if they do another all-stars tournament we'll have to see this narcissist again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Probably going to regret asking, but I forget: what are the things Yogesh said when he was raging about his original run?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Here's a pretty quick synopsis: https://www.tvinsider.com/1078587/jeopardy-yogesh-raut-blasts-show-michael-davies/

He was also responding to comments on his (public) page where he made the account and being a raging rear end in a top hat to anyone even vaguely critical of him or suggesting he might want to walk away and cool off.

EDIT: Checked said page, it looks like he's configured things to still be public but no one he hasn't approved can comment anymore, which....is there a bigger narcissist move in that situation than making sure you continue posting publicly but can't be criticized?

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 20, 2024

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I for one would like to congratulate a Mr. Nayak of Singapore for beating Yogesh in his Rundle (and H2H) if this is how Yogesh acts out publicly.

For anyone inquiring, Yogesh won every one of his Rundles in 2022 thus his comments and came in 2nd in the 2017 LL Championship which was his highest ever finish. By comparsion, Troy has won it all 4 times.

For LLC 2023, Troy was 5th, Yogesh was 45th and Ben didn't come close

If one would allow me to opine, trivia much less Jeopardy isn't the end all be all of human existence. Just because you remember what cytoplasm is or who won the Stanley Cup in 1924 or you can pronounce Tenochtitlan without your mouth feeling mushy doesn’t mean you’re King or Queen poo poo of the Mountain. It means you know three things in the trillions and trillions of trivia points that exist in the cosmos.

Yogesh is a trivia point and so are Troy and Ben. So are you reading this post. Several goons have been on Jeopardy and a couple have won a game but Jeopardy only defines a single digit amount people in history and even then it's probably better to be defined by how people cared about you rather than just knowing stuff about stuff.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I finished 13th in my rundle in LL (I’m in A and trying to qualify for the LLRC) but literally faced relegation on the last day then won on defense.

I didn’t play especially badly but I finished second in my rundle in CAA, basically everyone I played had the day of their life against me this season :negative:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
How often do people get banned for "accidentally" saying "grundle" instead?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i don't really have many thoughts about all this i care about people hearing. troy and yogesh are both among the best quizzers in the world and i'm not shocked at the result. i know this was something yogesh wanted a lot and i think it's cool that he won even if some of the things he's said (about jeopardy and otherwise) have been obnoxious, but glass houses etc

anyway i got demoted in LL and i'm back to thinking quizzing is a big joke with no skill component and anyone better than me is a tryhard dork and everyone worse than me is stupid. also im gonna try to get on trivial pursuit

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bennyfactor posted:

ANOTHER TOURNAMENT? IN THIS ECONOMY?!

I've never been so displeased to see Andrew He.

Ken describes the finals of this tournament as "the first player to notch two wins", not "best of four".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't have a problem with He but I'm sick of tourneys.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hate the endless tourneys but tbh I’m super excited for this upcoming one. As someone who has recently been crushed by Victoria I am so excited to see her up on that stage again, she is incredible.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Can't believe "(Florida) hippopotamus" was wrong

Edit: lol why did Dan wager anything for Final

CPColin fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 21, 2024

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

the zuff returns to disgrace my tv today huh (jk big fan, hope he wins but like the other contestants a lot too, just excited for some good J!)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't have a problem with He but I'm sick of tourneys.

yeah and you could definitely see last night that playing two dozen tournament games or whatever in the past couple years is a pretty large advantage, kind of bummed because i was hoping for another Pam run. I'm not sure anybody is going to be able to get through the grinder of the folks who have been basically playing jeopardy as a career since covid. but like Hookshot mentioned, Victoria has the skills to do it and i hope she crushes

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol @ this nerd today whose anecdote is "My wife won a learnedleague 1DS before I did"

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

lol @ this nerd today whose anecdote is "My wife won a learnedleague 1DS before I did"

I sometimes idly think about what my anecdote(s) would be if I was ever on Jeopardy and I don't think I've ever done anything or had anything happen in my life that doesn't make me sound like an absolutely gigantic dweeb

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

MockingQuantum posted:

I sometimes idly think about what my anecdote(s) would be if I was ever on Jeopardy and I don't think I've ever done anything or had anything happen in my life that doesn't make me sound like an absolutely gigantic dweeb

You actually have to write them out when you're at the audition (at least pre-covid, I have no idea what auditions look like in 2024 actually). Just remember most people's stories (and lives) are incredibly boring and they struggle to even come up with stories. Embrace the dweebiness, if anything it increases your chances of being picked if you have things to banter about that are interesting.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

You're going to have to tell all of America that you go on a board game retreat twice a year, sorry.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

If I could come up with something like any of these for my anecdote I'd be very proud

https://youtu.be/5KWW9uiSUB8?si=kwdtc9bfUnCNDPC5

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

CPColin posted:

Can't believe "(Florida) hippopotamus" was wrong

I watched that three times. It was amazing.

Fun fact, since we're in the J! thread. Hippos kill more humans on avg each year than sharks do.

MockingQuantum posted:

This actually made me think of how some anecdotes seem really forced "I'm cool for x reason" and it doesn't land well (for me, at least). Like I would take (talking out my rear end) "a cool fact about ____ topic I like" over "I have visted 90% of the countries around the world" or "after I was on J! an old lady made a fan club about me." I feel like to get on the show you have to know a ton of facts as a prerequisite, so sharing a fun rare fact can be cool. It's not "you" per se but it's "you" in that it characterizes what you like as an individual person rather than dick-measuring anecdotes about whatever.

Plus, if you get Ken he's pretty witty and will try to smooth things out.

(also, I don't know what the instructions are while you're on but this is how I am or am not entertained by people's anecdotes)

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 21, 2024

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Nature abhors a vacuum
:cheers:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Sean posted:

Plus, if you get Ken he's pretty witty and will try to smooth things out.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I feel like Ken would 100% ask a contestant “Do You Have Stairs In Your House?” as an interview question because he just seems like he could me smooth and cool with it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dammit, I was hoping not to have to see Matt Jackson again; I found him really annoying on his original run.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I don't want to see any of these people again, give new contestants a chance.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

welcome posted:

I don't want to see any of these people again, give new contestants a chance.

This is, mercifully, the last tournament before regular play resumes in April.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

From the YouTube comments:

"Wish they'd stop finding reasons to bring that weirdo back on."
----"They hired him as host! What do you expect?"

I chuckled.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Oh no it's Arthur "I'm too busy having sex with my wife to know about sports" Chu.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

banned from Starbucks posted:

Oh no it's Arthur "I'm too busy having sex with my wife to know about sports" Chu.

Arthur "I spent my winnings being a dick on Twitter" Chu?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Catching up on this tournament now and I don’t care for this tamed Yogesh.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i do appreciate that the show is countering complaints of seeing the same players over and over by reminding you just how dull the "old" champions were. "oh, they didn't like seeing andrew he for the twentieth time? put alex jacob back on the telly. they'll be begging for two more weeks of buttery before they know it. uh, also put andrew, amy, and sam in that tournament, of course. i'm not stupid.,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Spokes posted:

i do appreciate that the show is countering complaints of seeing the same players over and over by reminding you just how dull the "old" champions were. "oh, they didn't like seeing andrew he for the twentieth time? put alex jacob back on the telly. they'll be begging for two more weeks of buttery before they know it. uh, also put andrew, amy, and sam in that tournament, of course. i'm not stupid.,"

*Slams fists on podium*

“Bring! Back! Lizard! Bring! Back! Lizard!”