Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Upper Class: Steel Giant

Steel Giant wasn't a particularly popular job in vanilla FFT. The concept is cool (ancient automaton from a long-lost civilization) but the execution was plagued by an inability to use gamebreaking equipment, the relative power of the Speed stat, and its own mediocre, samey skillset. 1.3 gives the job a much-needed boost, with a new primary skill, a secondary skillset, and buffed stats.

Three of the four original Work skills received changes. Destroy now deals less damage but cancels any charging skill 100% of the time, making it better and more reliable than the Marksman's Stunning Strike at the cost of a little self-harm. Compress now has a 25% chance of O.H.K.O. on top of its damage, but it's still not much worth using. Crush received a slight damage boost (up from PA*16) so it hits fairly hard. Dispose is unchanged, but still probably the most useful due to its crazy range.

The one new skill, Energy, is self-targeting skill that heals the user to full HP but can only be used while in critical. The Steel Giant's huge health pool means that Energy heals a lot.

In addition to the changes to the Work skillset, Steel Giants now automatically come with Item as a secondary action skill. This Item command is actually somewhat unique in that it contains the skill for Power Source, making the Steel Giant the only player-controlled unit with that skill. Getting Item secondary is a big change that boosts the job's usefulness and allows it to act as a very tanky healer in addition to a damage dealer.

---

On top of new skills, Steel Giant received some decent stat buffs, most notably to Speed (up from 105) and HP (up from 115) but also to PA (up from 140) that help make up for its inability to use equipment.

The job still confers immunity to almost every element, and to a whole host of status afflictions (Confusion is a notable exception). Innate: Defense UP is new, and works well with the Giant's big HP and Energy to keep it “alive”.

The biggest weakness of the new Steel Giant is probably its mobility issues. Move 3 and Jump 3, with no access to things like Teleport, Fly, or even some Germinas Boots, means trouble on large maps, or on maps with lots of steep elevation changes. It also makes the very-close-ranged skillsets (no Throw Item) quite difficult to effectively use.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
How many times can you use Energy per fight? The game giving you a full-cure, even one with a 25% lock, seems hard to believe given what it's thrown at you thus far in terms of restrictions and switch ups.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 8, 2014

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Bloodly posted:

How many times can you use Energy per fight? The game giving you a full-cure, even one with a 25% lock, seems hard to believe given what it's thrown at you thus far in terms of restrictions and switch ups.

Without unlimited Energy uses, the various drawbacks to the Steel Giant job/skillset would be too detrimental. Speed is the most important stat late game, and the inability to buff (completely immune to haste) or land huge heals on Worker 8 (he hits 999 HP way before level 99) keeps him from being top tier.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Oh god, that destroy buff. Now that's...that's a balance change. drat. I guess his range usually keeps him from being able to do too much with it, but still, that sounds invaluable against Lucavi who can cast Kill Everything with short charge over a four panel square.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.
Hello sir,

If your heart desires it, please show this off at your earliest convenience.

In case Profrock doesn't have the bandwidth to show it off:

When you use your Attack command with the Chaos Blade to strike a unit, there's a 20% chance that the target will be instantly crystallized and removed from the fight permanently (doesn't work on bosses).

Also, yes, Steel Giant's Energy has unlimited uses. As long as he's in critical and gets a turn, he can heal back to full, 100% and with no charge time. It has a cool charge up animation too.

Archael fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 9, 2014

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Archael posted:

Hello sir,

If your heart desires it, please show this off at your earliest convenience.

In case Profrock doesn't have the bandwidth to show it off:

When you use your Attack command with the Chaos Blade to strike a unit, there's a 20% chance that the target will be instantly crystallized and removed from the fight permanently (doesn't work on bosses).

Also, yes, Steel Giant's Energy has unlimited uses. As long as he's in critical and gets a turn, he can heal back to full, 100% and with no charge time. It has a cool charge up animation too.

:stare: Archael what the hell man. Your telling me that could have happened at anytime during that fight?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ReturnOfFable posted:

:stare: Archael what the hell man. Your telling me that could have happened at anytime during that fight?

The upside of that is that I don't think enemy units will attack if they have the MP to use sword skills.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

ReturnOfFable posted:

No, no, no, of course not.

Just at any point before the sword got stolen! :pseudo:

Seriously, though, this seems like a very good reason to bring along Meliadoul. If you can't gank the sword, reset until you can break it!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I now fully expect there to be at least one battle including someone dual-wielding Chaos Blades, with inherent Maintenance and Concentrate.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I now fully expect there to be at least one battle including someone dual-wielding Chaos Blades, with inherent Maintenance and Concentrate.

When I saw the effect I immediately thought "Oh god, Deep Dungeon... :ohdear:"

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.
I wouldn't do that.

:hr:

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Besides, aren't Chaos Blades auto-2 handed? And I could have sworn there was an accessory that prevented crystalization.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Yukari posted:

Besides, aren't Chaos Blades auto-2 handed? And I could have sworn there was an accessory that prevented crystalization.
Said item is enemy only, as far as I recall... but it's been a while.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Kobold posted:

Said item is enemy only, as far as I recall... but it's been a while.

Nah, there's an item in the shops that prevents it. Pretty sure it's been available for a while. The Heroic Gloves, which replaced the Bracer, which I was less than thrilled about. :saddowns:

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Zeikier posted:

Nah, there's an item in the shops that prevents it. Pretty sure it's been available for a while. The Heroic Gloves, which replaced the Bracer, which I was less than thrilled about. :saddowns:
Ah, right right. I remember them being mentioned, but I couldn't recall if they were enemy only or not. I suppose with such a weapon in existence now, it gives reason to having them. Would be better not to have to worry about that sort of thing at all, but that's not what hard-mode hacks are about.

Of course, having to buy them solely for one fight reminds me quite a bit of the prep-work for Queklain and the Assassins, so it's not completely out of place.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
That's interesting, I'd read that when the AI is given Banish/Crystalize weapons they focus exclusively on Ramza because they know crystalizing him ends the game.

But that didn't really appear to be happening so maybe the 10% or whatever it is wasn't enough for the AI to go full Hunter-Killer.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Jenner posted:

That's interesting, I'd read that when the AI is given Banish/Crystalize weapons they focus exclusively on Ramza because they know crystalizing him ends the game.

But that didn't really appear to be happening so maybe the 10% or whatever it is wasn't enough for the AI to go full Hunter-Killer.

Rofel had his sword stolen before he got to move, so the AI didn't even get a chance to try and crystalize Ramza.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Hey all, I know it's been a really long time since my last update. This is due to a combination of a) work getting kinda crazy, b) another project I've got going on, and 3) Zalbag kicking my rear end, big time. (Seriously, I've made a few dozen attempts and gotten wrecked on each and every one!)

Rest assured, I've haven't forgotten this LP and will finish, just as soon as I can figure up a way past this bullshit fight. Thanks for sticking with me.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
This LP rules, take your time man!

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Hey all, I know it's been a really long time since my last update. This is due to a combination of a) work getting kinda crazy, b) another project I've got going on, and 3) Zalbag kicking my rear end, big time. (Seriously, I've made a few dozen attempts and gotten wrecked on each and every one!)

Is it Zalbag, or the other dudes giving you trouble? Cause evasion works on almost everything both can throw out, and giving Ramza 100% phys evade and good magic evade completely neuters Zalbag. Just gotta gangbang the demons while they try to Dark Holy your mans.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 12, 2014

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Tough, don't blame Zalbag, blame yourself or God. :colbert:

Seriously though, life happens, no worries sir. This has been a hell of a ride so far, and there ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on. Or something. Whatever. This is awesome and worth the waits, is what I'm trying to say here.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Rest assured, I've haven't forgotten this LP and will finish, just as soon as I can figure up a way past this bullshit fight. Thanks for sticking with me.

That is actually very surprising to me. From what I've seen of your team and play, your dudes are more than capable of steamrolling that battle. It's also an easier battle (totally subjective, based on what I've seen from many other players and how hard I was on designing the fight) compared to others you've already beat.

Good luck! And remember you can always blame me.

PS: Why not upload a fail? (Maybe a condensed update.) That battle is entertaining to see. It's quite different in 1.3 from a gameplay point of view.

The new guest is also cool. A good friend of mine wrote the script where it teleports in and talks.

quote:

Rofel had his sword stolen before he got to move, so the AI didn't even get a chance to try and crystalize Ramza.

Rofel's never going to use the Chaos Blade for a melee attack command as long as he's got MP to use a Sword Skill (the Crystallize proc only works on attack command) and unless he can just score a KO on a wounded unit. I've never seen him Crystallize anyone with it, but I guess it could happen.

Archael fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 19, 2014

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
When you do get a chance, would it be possible to show off whatever the ??? Job is from the 1.3 class graphic as well as some of the crazier random battles, like the Dragoner and That OneTM lone enemy battle? Hope you have an enjoyable 4th of July!

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 3, 2014

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
So uh is this thread completely dead, or is there HOPE of prufrock comin back?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

As for the post-game content, just about if not all of it relies on either hoping you rolled an encounter that wasn't completely ludicrous, or sticking with whatever you settle on, then hoping you didn't roll an immediate lose scenario. After that, it's a long drawn-out battle with you tip-toeing across thin ice hoping you don't fall through, god forbid you aren't savescumming the entire time.

And that was in Content. I'm not sure if Regular 1.3 is worse than Content in the post-game, but the kid gloves are pretty firmly off in Content's Deep Dungeon.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 12, 2014

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Content changes FFT into a bit more of a puzzle game. Not totally, but you clearly can't be quite as freeform as you would be in vanilla or other hard patches. I think it's kind of hard to describe actually. Because of all the balance changes the choices are a lot less clear cut, but at the same time a lot more thought and strategy are required.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Grand Gigas posted:

So uh is this thread completely dead, or is there HOPE of prufrock comin back?

There's always hope, especially in the new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
This is still my favorite LP. You can do it, Prufrock. I love you. We love you.

• Locked thread