Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, as someone who works in the flooring department of a home store, although we rarely recommend wood and laminate products for wet areas (especially for DIYers looking to cut corners on cost) I know it can be done. I don't think Tiglath is gonna have a problem. The floor looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
The floor is Grade 1 engineered flooring, so a hardwood top with some other gubbins below. It really shouldn't get to humid in the bathroom due to its size ad the level of ventilation it has with all those windows (fingers crossed) Putting non engineered wood down would be a no no and laminate would have probably been ok too. If the room were a lot smaller I reckon we would have gone for something else for the floors, but they look really nice.

Cheers

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
Just read the thread from beginning to end in one sitting. I must say, great work! I love the bathroom especially. I too thought I was looking at a different house until I noticed the windows. Keep up the excellent work!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Tiglath III posted:

The floor is Grade 1 engineered flooring, so a hardwood top with some other gubbins below. It really shouldn't get to humid in the bathroom due to its size ad the level of ventilation it has with all those windows (fingers crossed) Putting non engineered wood down would be a no no and laminate would have probably been ok too. If the room were a lot smaller I reckon we would have gone for something else for the floors, but they look really nice.

Cheers

Don't you have any extractor fans in there? I thought they were a building regs requirement these days?

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

HortonNash posted:

Don't you have any extractor fans in there? I thought they were a building regs requirement these days?

There's no extractor fan, its a really large are for a small fan to cope with and it wouldn't shift a lot of air in the scheme of things. Only if its a completely new build is an extractor required and even then they have an off switch.

cheers

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you still have those tetris disks?

The rights to tetris were once owned by the Soviet Academy of Sciences - the discs could be from when they were still licensing things before the American guy bought the rights. It could be worth a couple bucks to a collector if it's a rare release but if it's already in floppy disk era it might be less so.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Nothing comes up on an ebay search but I'd be interested in them assuming they aren't worth much

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
I'm not sure I still have these disks, the were for the BBC Microcomputer so I guess they will be pretty common.
In other news, since the bathroom is done I'm back working in the front bedroom. The sink that was there is now gone. The tiles are all gone, and the wall has been repaired. All the cracks have been dealt with and having looked at them properly, these seem to have been there for a long long time.

I was going to tape them to prevent further movement, but since the plaster hasn't blown and there is no bounce in it, I've raked out and filled over. So far it looks good. Another job has been where the electrical sockets are, the electrician made a bit of a bodge fitting them so I've taken the time to fix the damage, I'll show photos tomorrow when its light. The floor and ceiling are the last two jobs. Now the ceiling is cracked to hell as can be seen in the photo.

Again there is no movement in the plaster, taking advice from my builder, I can tape the cracks and skim over, it shouldn't take too long and if I keep at it I should be done by the end of the week. So at the moment it's all going well. Only one more room on the upper floor to do after this one, but still a challenge.

Cheers

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Hello again from a very sunny Scotland.
It's been a while since the last update and I must apologise for that. Since its now officially summer time, trying to get around to actually working on the house is a challenge. My motivation dips when the light nights are here as that's when I like to get out and photograph things. So following on from the last update, the front bedroom has been an absolute nightmare at times and I have felt like stopping and moving on to another area. Actually that's what I did do, I don't recommend getting to far into another room as concentration start to waiver.

From plastering the walls needed a few goings over to make sure all the sports and chinks were filled and covered over. Three drat weeks at it... then there was the ceiling. In the end I was losing the will to go on with the room, it was just so much work, but........ here it is. It's almost done, I have only tidying and final going over to make sure I'm happy with it. Ignore all the junk, I need to get rid of more rubbish that has been collected over the years.

The colours I like a lot, not normally a blue fan but this blue is nice and calming.

I also made a decision on the small office room. I choose another colour for the walls, blue again.

So next step is bedroom carpets, and moving rooms to do the last room on the upper floor. Next update will be a lot sooner.

Cheers

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

drat dude, those walls look amazing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Tiglath, I really like your design and paint color choices in the house so far.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Hello again people, been a long time since the last update. I'm still here and still working away.
Its been about 6 months since the last post I think and a few things have been going on. Carpets have been put in in the smallest room and the bedroom I was working in, we have now moved into that bedroom whilst I tackle the last bedroom.

On the 6th January, we have are getting a wood burner installed in the main living room, and will hopefully reduce our gas bills by a great deal this winter. Also in the main living room the old horrible aluminium sliding door is being ripped out in favour of a modern set of French windows.

So work has commenced again on the upper floor and it's the last room to do before I tackle the upper hallway. Here it is in all its wonder. The walls are mostly plasterboard from the the 60's or 70's and the doors to the wardrobes are solid wood. No idea what we will do with them but I'll get it all stripped back first. The keen eyed will spot the hole in the wall where there once was a fireplace, and it was quite some size, god only knows what happened to it. Oh and those ceiling tiles again

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Oh thank goodness, I thought the wallpaper had slowly driven you mad, a la "The Yellow Wallpaper".

I can't wait to see how those lovely wood doors turn out in that room! Are you going to try to recover the fireplace? Is the chimney still intact behind the wall, do you think?

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Faerunner posted:

Oh thank goodness, I thought the wallpaper had slowly driven you mad, a la "The Yellow Wallpaper".

I can't wait to see how those lovely wood doors turn out in that room! Are you going to try to recover the fireplace? Is the chimney still intact behind the wall, do you think?

Just a long break from doing anything in the house : ) but as you know there is always something going on. We filled another skip with more of the junk from the woodpile at the back of the garden, cleared a lot of the debris and thinned out the planting a little. Still lots to do though. Some of the wood has gone to help a local man who was looking for wood to fix his garage, he was digging around in the skip and asked if he could take some wood. When I asked what he actually needed, rather than the stuff in the skip I dug out two 17ft joists that he can have, it was cut down to make four new roof joists : )

I'm slowly getting the last bedroom done, there are four layers of wallpaper on the walls, the bottom three layers have been painted over..... grrrrrrrr.
The doors will be getting a make over, not sure what yet, and the space above needs utilised a bit better as it's just a waste of what could be a good storage area, I will also put some trim around the doors etc, as it looks a bit odd as it stands.

The chimney is still there behind the plaster, there is a noticeable cold patch in the wall, I would like to reinstate a fireplace but I'm not sure if we will. We do own a period bedroom fireplace in grey marble that would look amazing in that room. Unfortunately one of the front pieces broke, but it can be repaired to look as good as new.

These are the legs.

The top.

I'll be putting it in the room to see how it looks and will go on from there.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
So in another exciting instalment, this happened today.

For once some originality, the old awful brick fireplace was stripped back and behold, the old stone still in place on the hearth and inside the opening, so rather than have it hidden it will be tidied up and re-pointed and the new wood burning stove will be put in place tomorrow. The bad news is the chimney needs rebuilt, but its not so urgent it can't wait a bit longer. Perhaps the summer.

Remember it used to look like this eeeuugh.

Cheers

Tiglath III fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
:clap: I see paint swatches! And that fireplace looks so much better, and I do hope you can use the marble one in that other room... marble is so pretty! :3:

I've started making small improvements to our kitchen, want to paint the cabinets but that will wait till the weather is warmer and I can take them outside to clean/paint.... still, feels good to get work done! You have made amazing progress on your house so far!

• Locked thread