Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Have you ever thought of finance jobs at tech companies? Specifically senior financial analyst or finance manager roles. I start as an SFA (having never worked in FP&A) at AWS in a couple weeks, and finance at tech companies seem to lean much more into the data analyst side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Mustang posted:

Have you ever thought of finance jobs at tech companies? Specifically senior financial analyst or finance manager roles. I start as an SFA (having never worked in FP&A) at AWS in a couple weeks, and finance at tech companies seem to lean much more into the data analyst side of things.

Oh, good idea! I haven't specifically looked at that yet, but I live in the Seattle area so that would definitely be worth pursuing.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Only thing I'd add is that from looking at the LinkedIn profiles of other big tech finance folks, it seems the big tech companies typically down-level people if it's their first role in tech. Like senior finance managers from a finance firm coming in as a finance manager, or a finance manager coming in as an SFA.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
When is a contract position worth considering? I've been approached by a couple of recruiters for 6-8 month contract roles that very sound interesting, but at the same time the idea of leaving my role (where I'm well regarded and have a decent amount of job security) for something with a definite end-date feels a bit daunting.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

dpkg chopra posted:

When is a contract position worth considering? I've been approached by a couple of recruiters for 6-8 month contract roles that very sound interesting, but at the same time the idea of leaving my role (where I'm well regarded and have a decent amount of job security) for something with a definite end-date feels a bit daunting.

what multiple of your salaried hourly is the contract role paying?

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

dpkg chopra posted:

In tech I get these contract offers fairly often and there’s practically no scenario in which I’d leave my salaried position for a single digit multiplier of my hourly wage. The only scenario I would even consider it is if said contract was enough money in the contract to be equal to 2 or more years at my current salary during the duration of the contract and paid for something desirable like top secret government clearance. Beyond that not worth leaving my steady tech job. Maybe if things got really bad at my job and I was looking for an immediate exit strategy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I feel like contract work like that is good when you're trying to establish yourself in an industry but cause burn out and can be limiting if you're trying to secure a more leadership oriented path. So kind of a thing for people young in their career, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are people who like doing contract work because it doesn't tie them to a specific company, but honestly if you don't immediately come up with that on your own you're probably not one of them.