Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Inimicul posted:

Still no idea how long the downtime is going to extend, eh? I know this tactic. I've used it before. If they tell us it'll be another 10 hours then that's 10 hours of typical forum behaviour (rants) but if they stick with no ETR for 5 hours and then say it'll just be another 5 hours then that cuts down on some of the bitching. Sadly, that screws over people who should be in bed or other real life things but keep hitting F5 hoping for good news.
Yeah. I've given up hope of playing it today. I have things I have to do tonight so I won't even be back online until after 10 PM PDT.

In the meantime, why don't you guys try to come up with a new thread title? I'll probably post a new thread for the launch either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Nalin posted:

Yeah. I've given up hope of playing it today. I have things I have to do tonight so I won't even be back online until after 10 PM PDT.

In the meantime, why don't you guys try to come up with a new thread title? I'll probably post a new thread for the launch either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I wouldn't give up just yet. ;)

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
Wewt

Our extended maintenance is now complete! Welcome to Early Access and version 1.0 of Firefall!!

(We'll have an official announcement article and forum thread up momentarily.)

We sincerely thank you for all your patience this morning, and for all the support you've shown today and everyday. See you in-game!!!

Cheers,

Brandon (and the entire team!)

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Firefall - Probably no more wipes or revamps

I was able to login, and am in the game.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

xxEightxx posted:

Same; say hi once you're in GOONS army chat!

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

xxEightxx posted:

Still patching (red5 patcher, not steam)

How is first impression?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Mjolnerd posted:

Still patching (red5 patcher, not steam)

How is first impression?

My t3 frames are all at level 27, thought they would end up closer to 40, but since I don't need to farm mats for advancement im sort of okay with that. Other than that the UI looks great, big step up in speed and ease of use. Im toying around with the research system now.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

xxEightxx posted:

My t3 frames are all at level 27, thought they would end up closer to 40, but since I don't need to farm mats for advancement im sort of okay with that. Other than that the UI looks great, big step up in speed and ease of use. Im toying around with the research system now.

drat, I wonder if they based the new level off of total experience gained in that frame or if it was just based on how "unlocked" it was...

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
God I hope not, because I had about 3 million experience from this weekend sitting on my recluse because I didn't see the need to build nano toxins because of the patch.

imatree
Nov 18, 2005
ok...

Grimey Drawer

Sphrin posted:

God I hope not, because I had about 3 million experience from this weekend sitting on my recluse because I didn't see the need to build nano toxins because of the patch.

I'm pretty sure it was not based on experience since I was sitting on about 500k with T3 mostly unlocked and it came out at level 19. I should have kept my resonators..

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Well, I can at least say I had fun this weekend but that's a real kick in the balls if true. And everyone in global chat was recommending not to unlock anything as well so we aren't the only ones affected.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
ed: nm im just an idiot.

xxEightxx fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 16, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
If you get the game through Steam and install somewhere other than C:\, does it still take up 4+ gigs on your C drive? I don't have much room on my SSD and when I stopped playing around February, the client still cached a ton of stuff there regardless of where I installed it.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Is the game worth 30 dollars to check it out early? I've been staunchly against MMORPGs, but this seems pretty intriguing from it being a decent looking shooter.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

ShinAli posted:

Is the game worth 30 dollars to check it out early? I've been staunchly against MMORPGs, but this seems pretty intriguing from it being a decent looking shooter.

No, I don't think the $30 package is worth it with launch just a couple weeks away.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

xxEightxx posted:

No, I don't think the $30 package is worth it with launch just a couple weeks away.

Cool, I'll wait then. What does VIP time give you, anyways? More XP or something?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

ShinAli posted:

Cool, I'll wait then. What does VIP time give you, anyways? More XP or something?

"VIP membership will now provide 25% bonus crystite, 25% bonus XP, 25% more rep vouchers, +2 crafting workbench slots, +8 market slots as well as access to the VIP Boosted" Glider Pad.

Boost to all rewards and extra crafting/market slots basically. Your standard F2P booster.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Cheston posted:

If you get the game through Steam and install somewhere other than C:\, does it still take up 4+ gigs on your C drive? I don't have much room on my SSD and when I stopped playing around February, the client still cached a ton of stuff there regardless of where I installed it.

Yes, but there was a dev post a couple days ago that mentioned how to go into steam and tell it to use a different path. Failing that, there's an .ini file in the main folder that could be edited as well if steam isn't your thing.

I don't remember the link but I found it through the dev tracker this week.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
To make life a 'little' easier on some people

Ability Modules posted:

Red: Cooled (+10% Cooldown Redux), Deployment (+1 Object)
Yellow: Damaging (+30% Potency), Lasting (+30% Duration)
Blue: Energized (+30% Strength [non-damage/healing]), Longarm (+30% Range), Widened (+30% AOE Radius)

Weapon Modules posted:

Red: Rapidfire (+5% Rate of Fire)
Yellow: LongMag (+20% Magazine)
Blue: Charging (+30% ChargeUp Speed), HighYield (+30% Splash Radius), Precise (+30% Accuracy)

No clue why Blue has most of the junk other than it seems to only be available to slot into things with three slots. I've heard mention of Hybrid Modules (ex: Orange) but no clue on how they're obtained or if they're able to be put into multiple slots.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

JonusRockweller posted:

To make life a 'little' easier on some people

No clue why Blue has most of the junk other than it seems to only be available to slot into things with three slots. I've heard mention of Hybrid Modules (ex: Orange) but no clue on how they're obtained or if they're able to be put into multiple slots.

That's exactly how it works - Orange works with Red or Yellow.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Ville Valo posted:

That's exactly how it works - Orange works with Red or Yellow.

But rhymes with nothing.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Morglon posted:

But rhymes with nothing.

Door hinge?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Ville Valo posted:

Door hinge?

Certified genius!

In other news, I strongly encourage people to check out the new storyline missions. Sure, you can solo them but they're tons more fun with a full group. Grab a Goon or two and try it. If I'm online, I'm up for it. :D

Edit: Holy poo poo, S3 thumping in Devil's Tusk is hilarious! I was expecting an ash dragon or two to pop up but instead we had a few drop pods come down and we got swarmed by about 100 Chosen. That doesn't seem to happen -every- time though so I'm not sure if it's a bonus or what.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 16, 2014

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Some notes:

I haven't played since the last equipment wipe, so all my frames are lvl 1. Wonderful.

The research interface is terrible but you should really grind it to spend your wealth of reimbursed research points before losing the account VIP they handed out after the extended downtime. After filling up your industry slots (4 with VIP), you have to leave the research menu to deliver the slots before you can submit more.
I've seen signs that the research job time is either bugged or shortened, so Red5 may doing that during the prerelease period so beta players can get back to their previous research levels.

e: vvvv Possibly; I don't recall how much I had previously played the frames I used yesterday. I'll have to check my dread frames to be sure.

That reminded me of another bug they have right now. You have to use the actual battleframe stations to switch frames. Trying to do it with the garage opens the red bean store.

TasogareNoKagi fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 16, 2014

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Some notes:

I haven't played since the last equipment wipe, so all my frames are lvl 1. Wonderful.

All of my frames were lvl 1 until I went to the garage thingy and changed into them, then they would auto level to where I pretty much had them. so you can try doing that.

Unless you're just referring to the fact that you may have a lvl 30 frame with lvl 1 equipment, which yes, does suck a lot.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Some notes:

The research interface is terrible but you should really grind it to spend your wealth of reimbursed research points before losing the account VIP they handed out after the extended downtime. After filling up your industry slots (4 with VIP), you have to leave the research menu to deliver the slots before you can submit more.
I've seen signs that the research job time is either bugged or shortened, so Red5 may doing that during the prerelease period so beta players can get back to their previous research levels.

Yeah. They have a script running to add all your XP and level you shortly after being in your frames. Put them all on then wait a minute then swap back to them and you'll ding them all up to where they need to be. Equipment is the easy part.

The research tree is a little laggy right now but the research / refining / manufacturing times are all reduced to insignificance while you still have a Time Bank. Time you spent researching before is refunded back to you in the form of a time bank that you use to rapidly research back up to where you want to be again. After that it goes back to normal time.

I've found that I can start a line (red weapon modules for example) and click on three or four that I want to research and either wait for them to complete and then click on new ones to continue, or click on another one of the adjacent trees (yellow weapon mods for example) and then go back again to force it to refresh early. I haven't had to go back up to the actual 4 slots to start a job in a couple hours now. I do whatever I want from within the tree I'm loving with. Once I figured that out, I loved the new UI.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Inimicul posted:

Equipment is the easy part.

Any suggestions?

My frame is lvl 30, but since I haven't played in about a year, all of my gear was salvaged by the last item wipe they did back in December(?)

I went straight to Serato since it is where I should be for my level and started running a few Ares Missions from the mission board (which I think is an awesome new feature that I love) and found that I was doing very little damage and getting hit like a truck, sometimes getting killed in 2-3 shots from a chosen juggalo.

I got lucky and had a lvl 31 blue frame core drop which boosted my health from about 6k to 17k Wooo! which greatly increased my survivability, but I am still flinging limp noodles out at the enemies.

I noticed that Andreev(sp?) has a voucher vendor, but doesn't have all of the items I need, and "Dredge" and I think "Forward Base" didn't have a voucher vendor that I could see.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Mjolnerd posted:

Any suggestions?

My frame is lvl 30, but since I haven't played in about a year, all of my gear was salvaged by the last item wipe they did back in December(?)

I went straight to Serato since it is where I should be for my level and started running a few Ares Missions from the mission board (which I think is an awesome new feature that I love) and found that I was doing very little damage and getting hit like a truck, sometimes getting killed in 2-3 shots from a chosen juggalo.

I got lucky and had a lvl 31 blue frame core drop which boosted my health from about 6k to 17k Wooo! which greatly increased my survivability, but I am still flinging limp noodles out at the enemies.

I noticed that Andreev(sp?) has a voucher vendor, but doesn't have all of the items I need, and "Dredge" and I think "Forward Base" didn't have a voucher vendor that I could see.

Any of the locations with an ARES Job Board have a voucher vendor. They all stock different items. Running a few ARES Jobs that are slightly below your level is a good way to get some baseline gear if you're completely lacking.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Ville Valo posted:

Any of the locations with an ARES Job Board have a voucher vendor. They all stock different items. Running a few ARES Jobs that are slightly below your level is a good way to get some baseline gear if you're completely lacking.

Hmmm... maybe you have to have some vouchers for that location before the vendor becomes available then? or it could be that I'm just blind(more than likely), I'll check again tonight.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
You don't have to have vouchers, I found one of the vendors as I was arriving to that location for the first time. I will certainly agree with them being absolutely terrible to spot, and since I'm brand new I'm often left wandering around a city like an idiot looking for them.

So, new player experience stuff. The game still seems pretty rough around the edges, although I'm not sure how much of that is launch-day crush and how much is stuff that hasn't been fixed yet. On two ARES missions I had the quest objective fall through the world, so that was fun. They could REALLY use a few more tutorials. I haven't found anything to introduce me to research/refining, so if I wasn't someone who played too many MMOs I might still be clueless about them. Also credits - from what I can gather, you turn crystite (spelling) into credits, which you can then use on the AH or to buy premium currency, is that correct?

All that said, the game feels pretty fun and thumping (especially with a group) is an absolute blast, although I'm sure some of you guys must be tired of it by now. Weapons seem to control well, I enjoy the variety that subweapons offer, and aside from one or two people ranting and raving about politics in zone chat so far people have been friendly and understanding. I got dragged into thumping in like a level 20 zone when I was 6, and that was ridiculously fun. I'd recommend that anyone reading this who's on the fence try it once F2P hits. The pay wall doesn't seem terrible, and I think it's worth a shot.

A few questions-

1. Do bikes only come from the store/slot machine, or is there a crappy permanent one I can get later?

2. Are the advanced frames strictly superior to the starter ones?

3. To join you guys, should I just go to one of the application boards? I didn't know who was still playing from the OP.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Darksaber posted:

1. Do bikes only come from the store/slot machine, or is there a crappy permanent one I can get later?

2. Are the advanced frames strictly superior to the starter ones?

3. To join you guys, should I just go to one of the application boards? I didn't know who was still playing from the OP.

You can build your own bike if you buy the parts. Bike quality was just introduced in the most recent patch, so I am not sure where what falls on the scale of things.

The frames are not linear in that regard, think of it more as a subset of the start frames. You will get access to different skills, not necessarily better. The advantage is that the advanced frame can use the skills of the starter frame, but not vice versa, so that gives them a slight leg up (so if you like the starter frame, you can get the advanced frame and benefit from the perks* of that frame while still using the same exact skills). You aren't necessarily going to hit a difficulty wall running with a starter frame.

I think you just apply in game, the people approving applications into GOONS are pretty active.

*-not to be confused with "Perks", capital P, which are bonuses you can assign to a frame that are earned as you level up a frame. A Perk earned from leveling a one frame can be used by all others.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
New thread up:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651149

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
**Oh, new thread. Okay!

• Locked thread