Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Terrorists have kidnapped the president's daughter and will execute her unless I can recommend him a good anime to watch that isn't LOGH.

K-on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Terrorists have kidnapped the president's daughter and will execute her unless I can recommend him a good anime to watch that isn't LOGH.

Recommend they watch Bleach

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Bad Seafood posted:

Hyouka.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

littleorv posted:

You should recommend the terrorists watch LoGH anyways because it's so good they may change their mind about the execution.
*Curtain falls on the final episode.*

*Cut to cave full of terrorists and hostages sitting in several metal folding chairs, crying and comforting one another.*

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Guys don't negotiate with the terrorists. It's one loving day after 9/11, show some respect!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

Guys don't negotiate with the terrorists. It's one loving day after 9/11, show some respect!

9/11 was actually 14 years and 1 day ago

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

littleorv posted:

9/11 was actually 14 years and 1 day ago

But also yesterday, at least in my time zone.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We forgot...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

...to recommend LOGH.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

:patriot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRI5eWWZIpo

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Namtab posted:

What show should I watch if I like spaceships and have too much free time

Cake Attack posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yesterday somebody told me LoGH was the greatest anime ever made, and then followed that up by saying they only rewatch the first movie and first season

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That's my LoGH Suggestion Story

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The second season is way better though imo

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I vastly prefer Yang to Reinhard though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Namtab posted:

Seen it, it owns. Is the movie any good?

oops

Yes.

I guess not everyone liked it a lot, but i really missed the characters so it was super cool.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Here is where I would put my Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer anime recommendation, if I had one!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Terper posted:

Here is where I would put my Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer anime recommendation, if I had one!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Cat Soup. This has the advantage of being just one single thing, so it's easy to fit into a busy Presidential schedule.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I realize that we are attempting jokes, but that was a sincere and heartfelt recommendation of anime.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I've really been enjoying Ranpo Kitan and I've been looking for another mystery type anime; something maybe in the vein of Another? But nothing quite as sprawling as Detective Conan; I'm not really in the mood for 500 episodes of boy detective.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Niggurath posted:

So I've really been enjoying Ranpo Kitan and I've been looking for another mystery type anime; something maybe in the vein of Another? But nothing quite as sprawling as Detective Conan; I'm not really in the mood for 500 episodes of boy detective.

May I suggest the greatest mystery of our time Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

littleorv posted:

May I suggest the greatest mystery of our time Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Niggurath posted:

I don't really like the mystery genre myself, but lots of people like Monster, so you can try that if you haven't already

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Linnaeus posted:

I don't really like the mystery genre myself, but lots of people like Monster, so you can try that if you haven't already
I tried to give Monster a shot, but by about the 20th episode or so it started to get into this rut where the main character could take down the villain, but he makes up so excuse, runs into hiding, strengthens his resolve to finally defeat the villain, is then met with the villain and makes up another excuse. It became super tiresome.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Niggurath posted:

hyouka? tthough the stakes are a lot lower

currently airing rokka maybe as well

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

hi, i got into this japanese drama (the liars game) and i was wondering if there are animes that have the "escape the room" genre. like specifically like the zero escape series. i watched eden of the east and i really enjoyed so maybe i'm looking for something like that. i used watch slice of life animes like a couple of years ago but, i eventually stop watching anime. tia.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Mapparu posted:

hi, i got into this japanese drama (the liars game) and i was wondering if there are animes that have the "escape the room" genre. like specifically like the zero escape series. i watched eden of the east and i really enjoyed so maybe i'm looking for something like that. i used watch slice of life animes like a couple of years ago but, i eventually stop watching anime. tia.

You should escape the room you are in right now and watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the ultimate escape from reality

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mapparu posted:

Depending on what you liked about Eden of the East, Gatchaman Crowds has a similar-ish commentary on Japanese society and political stuff and looks pretty fabulous.
Locked room stuff it's more the domain of games and I'm struggling to think of any anime that do it well.

littleorv posted:

You should escape the room you are in right now and watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the ultimate escape from reality

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mapparu posted:

The guy who wrote the Zero Escape games recently handled writing for an anime called Punchline, so that sounds like your best bet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Punchline isn't any sort of "escape the room" mystery thing, it's really just all the hyperactive, wacky, silly, crazy, fun, colorful parts of Uchikoshi's writing letting themselves out, along with some much crazier mystery stuff even than he usually writes. It is amazing, though.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Mapparu posted:

Definitely read the Liars Game manga.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Sorry wrong thread. Uh definitely watch the words and pictures in the Liars Game manga.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mapparu posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is all about escaping the metaphorical room of war

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm shocked no one has mentioned Kaiji yet. There's also a Korean game show called The Genius that turns these kind of games into a reality show and it works really really well.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

K. Flaps posted:

Definitely read the Liars Game manga.

Warning: the Liars Game manga starts out quite good but ends with a wet fart.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mapparu posted:

GANTZ - the plot actually involves trying to leave a mysterious room. Manga is much better than the anime, also ~3x longer and the ending makes even less sense.

Haibane Renmei - characters wake up and find themselves in a strange and inexplicable world with only one vague memory in the form of a surreal dream; mystery/drama ensues.

Serial Experiments Lain - no explanation, just watch it.

Mikl posted:

Warning: the Liars Game manga starts out quite good but ends with a wet fart.
Kinda got that feeling as soon as they introduced a losers bracket. "oh yeah that elimination tournament thing completely ruins any chance of plot since it forces the protagonist to win every time... time for some ~twists~ and arbitrary new rules."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Goodnight, sweet prince.

• Locked thread