Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

general question here: how many chapters do you generally give a series before you'll start reading it (assuming you like the content). I've mostly given up under 20 because I just can't be bothered with something so likely to be axed

Usually i'll read the first chapter of a series and if i like it i'll continue it, and if i don't or if i'm lukewarm about it i don't. Usually it's paid off pretty well because for the most part what i've continued reading has continued to be successful and good, and what i haven't either gets the axe or is kinda of just middling and i can safely ignore its success. Occasionally something starts off kinda meh but gets better later, but in those instances it's usually past the point it would have gotten axed if it was continuing to be awful.

tl;dr: just get good taste like me and you'll never be lead astray :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

since the mangaplus app has made it really easy to get into new and smaller series I’ve broken my thirty chapter rule a few times, with three disappointments so far (martial master asumi, me & my gangster neighbour, service wars)

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Choosing to read isn't something I base on whether a series has or is likely to survive. Just interest, vibe, and feeling like I have room for something.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah if a series is under ten chapters and it feels like a chore, I'm probably dropping it. Some stuff I've read for a while and gotten the same feeling and I'll drop those too. Unfortunately this has happened with elusive samurai and akanebanashi.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I read most of the things that come out on Manga Plus. It's gotta be pretty drat bad (Ice Head Gill, Earthchild) or very not my thing (Gift of Poison, Ron Kamonohashi) for me to really drop a series.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I give most things a shot if I'm in the mood, some are just a 'nope' after one chapter, some I read for a while and eventually feel it's not really something I care about much. I dropped Sakamoto around when there was the fight in the assassin office building with the film guy because I just didn't care about anyone anymore in the series.

The nice thing about the Jump app is that you can go back to it any time and it remembers where you were. Sometimes I just take a break on a series because I'm not really in the mood (Roboco) and come back to it when I feel like I want to enjoy the series again.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I give most things a shot if I'm in the mood, some are just a 'nope' after one chapter, some I read for a while and eventually feel it's not really something I care about much. I dropped Sakamoto around when there was the fight in the assassin office building with the film guy because I just didn't care about anyone anymore in the series.

Same, the juxtaposition of assassin hijinks and sleepy convenience store was a fun concept, then it just descended into another fight manga where I had no idea what the extent of people's abilities were supposed to be so I stopped.

Spy Family fills that gap for me now, there's no real sense of stakes in the spy stuff but it also didn't forget that the low level stuff is part of the appeal.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
You're supposed to enjoy Sakamoto for the insane choreography and art :colbert:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
BTW I wanted to chime in and say while it's only two chapters, I've rather enjoyed astro so far. I like the setting and potential for it at least. That could dive real quick though.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

oh yeah the latest series I’m reading before it has legs is astro baby and it’s been really fun so far. this is in contrast to shibatarian which probably would have killed as a goodbye eri length one-shot but is still going for some reason

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

that's funny since I did the exact opposite, dropping sakamoto on 1 ch initially because the premise was uninteresting to me but going back I like it because it's just a bunch of well choreographed fights between fun characters

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I usually don’t bother reading new Jump series that pop up unless the art / premise really catches my attention or someone here really starts gushing about them. I’ve read a lot of scanlated stuff so at this point I’m kind of accustomed to stuff getting randomly dropped for no reason so I’m okay with having brief fun with a series then it suddenly disappearing. For gag manga I don’t have any minimum number of chapters I need to try it out, for more story driven manga I’d say needs a minimum of like 5 chapters for me to give it a try but every jump title gets that so it doesn’t matter (just an issue with scanlated stuff).

panko posted:

since the mangaplus app has made it really easy to get into new and smaller series I’ve broken my thirty chapter rule a few times, with three disappointments so far (martial master asumi, me & my gangster neighbour, service wars)

By this you mean series that didn’t last very long? Because whilst service wars was short it felt like it was designed to be a shorter series and reached an appropriate stopping point. Which IMO is pretty different from a series getting unceremoniously axed and needing to suddenly pivot to anything vaguely resembling an ending.

panko posted:

oh yeah the latest series I’m reading before it has legs is astro baby and it’s been really fun so far. this is in contrast to shibatarian which probably would have killed as a goodbye eri length one-shot but is still going for some reason

Shibatarian was really good and had a solid ending, then just... kept going. I wasn’t sure what was happening with that, but I’m on board again since it suddenly swerved into unhinged territory again.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's funny since I did the exact opposite, dropping sakamoto on 1 ch initially because the premise was uninteresting to me but going back I like it because it's just a bunch of well choreographed fights between fun characters

I don’t think Sakamoto has had a bad chapter, think it’s been incredibly consistent at how good it is. But I only tried it because people here were gushing about it. “Retired hitman runs convenience store” wasn’t a premise that sold itself to me.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

you’re right about service wars but I could have happily had a hundred or more chapters of its sense of humor

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I don't pay for SJ/MP, which means I'm a lot less discriminate in what I choose to read; I don't want to miss out on something getting good, so I pretty much read every new series that comes out. I don't mind it, and while I've read some real garbage (Ice Head Gil, Earthchild), I would've have missed out on stuff that I grew to really enjoy, even if they didn't last long (MMA, Fabricant, Service Wars).

Honestly if I was paying for it and didn't have to worry about missing chapters, I'd probably read a whole lot less manga

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I wish they'd make their official product not so poo poo I use dodgy scan sites instead for basic features like no advert to scroll through to get to the next chapter (pc only here uhh), a proper reading history off exAmple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the watamote trainwreck continues unabated

I really don't like Komiyama. She was kind of interesting when she was originally introduced as someone who really openly disliked tomoko, but she's been written into being intensely unappealing and pathetic in every way and isn't entertaining like tomoko. like, that one girl who kissed tomoki by accident during the play, she sucks a lot but it's specifically in a way that results in being entertaining because of other character's interactions, but Komiyama, every single time, just results in "ugh, not her again" from both readers AND the characters in the manga! the cast of watamote has gotten pretty bloated, but most of the characters manage to have one gimmick or amusing aspect to them, but Komiyama's gimmick seems to be "ruins the atmosphere whenever she enters the room".