Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

On another note, I got this shelf recently to quadruple my plant space there and I'm super happy with it. Ongoing problem is, though, that that's the best light in the house but it's still not enough for some of the succulents/cacti.

I figure I could nestle some grow lights up in the bottom 2 shelves and have a nice boost for the neediest varieties - problem is, it's a very thin spot and I'm thinking I'll have to go custom.

Anyone experienced with DIY lighting like that? This site https://yxoyuxinou.aliexpress.com/store/903774/search?spm=2114.12010615.8148358.1.5ee97fbc0cyCq3 seems to have everything I'd need, but it's pretty daunting to figure out wiring/heatsinks/LED controllers

[edit] on 2nd thought this is probably way overkill for the job (since it's just 'topping up' natural light and not replacing it) and something like this would probably be fine even if it doesn't fill the space perfectly https://www.amazon.de/-/en/CXhome-LED-Plant-Lamp-T5/dp/B088QVN89Q/

Nosre fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nosre posted:

On another note, I got this shelf recently to quadruple my plant space there and I'm super happy with it. Ongoing problem is, though, that that's the best light in the house but it's still not enough for some of the succulents/cacti.

I figure I could nestle some grow lights up in the bottom 2 shelves and have a nice boost for the neediest varieties - problem is, it's a very thin spot and I'm thinking I'll have to go custom.

Anyone experienced with DIY lighting like that? This site https://yxoyuxinou.aliexpress.com/store/903774/search?spm=2114.12010615.8148358.1.5ee97fbc0cyCq3 seems to have everything I'd need, but it's pretty daunting to figure out wiring/heatsinks/LED controllers

[edit] on 2nd thought this is probably way overkill for the job (since it's just 'topping up' natural light and not replacing it) and something like this would probably be fine even if it doesn't fill the space perfectly https://www.amazon.de/-/en/CXhome-LED-Plant-Lamp-T5/dp/B088QVN89Q/

I recently bought a set of Barrina grow lights from Amazon (~$50) based on a goon’s recommendation and I’ve been super happy with them for the three days I’ve had them. Grow lights don’t let you merely “top up” or add to natural light, they’re also really good for extending the photoperiod and getting a few extra hours of “daylight” to your plants.

(Pls ignore the mess and the incomplete wiring job, I finished mounting the last light tube last night)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 14, 2020

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Very nice, and nice collection!

Yea I'm in the EU so my other issue is it's sometimes tough finding the same brands - and indeed, no hits for Barrina in german amazon. The one I linked uses Samsung LED chips which are the best apparently, so seems legit.

I totally bailed on assembling them myself when I found these strips which will accomplish 80% of the task for 5% of the effort/time, heh

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MY CAMELLIAS have been blooming for a week or three and I am reminded once again that camellias are definitively and objectively The Best Ornamental Plant.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
What an impressive plant shelf Nosre! If I came to visit I'd spend the whole time looking at all your beautiful specimens.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
alright im about to post the new one, if you see something in it that needs fixing or you think should be added let me know!! I'm sure that I'm going to have to gently caress around with the images more bc some are HUGE lol.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612

kaiser please feel free to give this thread over to posting valhalla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 15, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

alright im about to post the new one, if you see something in it that needs fixing or you think should be added let me know!! I'm sure that I'm going to have to gently caress around with the images more bc some are HUGE lol.

They're all thumbnailed when I quote it but.. yeah.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Yeah I ran out of time this morning due to babby waking up with a bone to pick about life, but I’ll timg those things later

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm turning this into a commemorative sixer thread to memorialize this momentous occasion(:rip: plant thread, 2013-2020). Post a picture of a plant/flower and it's scientific name if you know it (or idk, maybe you just to become compost?) and I will add a pretty plant to your rap sheet. I'll do these tonight (or whenever you tell me) so as not to interfere with your regularly scheduled posting.

Camellia japonica 'Purple Dawn'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Quercus virginiana

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I love this Dahlia pompon 'Marble Ball' I had doing weird genetics things

Schmeichy posted:

What an impressive plant shelf Nosre! If I came to visit I'd spend the whole time looking at all your beautiful specimens.
Thank you :3:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nosre posted:

I love this Dahlia pompon 'Marble Ball' I had doing weird genetics things

Thank you :3:

That's fuggin wild looking

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Argyroxiphium sandwicense, better known as the silversword, found on Mars Hawaii.

(I don't know which specific subspecies is in this picture, sorry.)

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 16, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Had a great time pruning some apple trees with my giraffe today

And thank you for identifying that cactus KS; I was staring at it for a long time at the garden center, in deep contemplation.

Camellia question:

Any ideas on what causes these leaf "holes"?
This specimen is planted out in the garden, semi shade, and a good number of the leaves have these, almost like burn holes, but otherwise it seems ok (despite probably needing more feed and compost, (the climate here in Germany is tbh not great for them either)).

I wonder if maybe it's something to do with a sooty-mold that I often see on camelias that spend time over winter in a greenhouse?

E. Ah, forgot thread was exploding.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 17, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm turning this into a commemorative sixer thread to memorialize this momentous occasion(:rip: plant thread, 2013-2020). Post a picture of a plant/flower and it's scientific name if you know it (or idk, maybe you just to become compost?) and I will add a pretty plant to your rap sheet. I'll do these tonight (or whenever you tell me) so as not to interfere with your regularly scheduled posting.

Is it too late?

Here's a sweet Obergonia denegrii

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wallet posted:

Is it too late?

Here's a sweet Obergonia denegrii

Nope! Closing it tonight.

Another year
Oct 13, 2011

the mermaid
see
a movie?
drat, didn't know this thread existed but I guess I never really looked. I do this for a living, and here's a nice Nymphaea odorata from last summer. Will maybe post increasingly crazy stuff later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oops! I forgot to close this and do commemorative 6ers last night, but will do them tonight. This thread is off to the goodmine, the new thread is here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612