Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A major update has been released for the Android and iOS apps:

quote:

Pebble App for iPhone 4.4 Release Notes

If Pebble's authentication servers can't be reached, users can skip the login process, but the Pebble appstore will not be available. Apps can only be installed via side-loading if this occurs.

If Pebble's update servers can't be reached, the app will be able to install the latest compatible firmware for the paired device, plus the relevant language packs.

We removed the option to Contact Support but users can still export diagnostic data (including the Health database) by tapping Share Diagnostics.

Health data collection and various telemetry reporting has been removed.

The option to suggest new features has been removed.

Fixed a bug which would “crown” your first day of step counts, even if no activity was recorded yet.

Developers can now side-load a service configuration to change which servers the Pebble app communicates with.

The Developer menu is now easier to find within the new Settings tab.

Turning on Health synchronization in Settings now writes heart rate data to Apple’s Health app.

Fixed a crash that occurred when configuration pages attempted to open an image picker using HTML5 file input.

Fixed a crash that occurred when Rocky.js apps used Clay configuration pages.

Pebble App for Android 4.4 Release Notes

If Pebble's authentication servers can't be reached, users can skip the login process, but the Pebble appstore will not be available.Apps can only be installed via side-loading if this occurs.

If Pebble's update servers can't be reached, the app will be able to install the latest compatible firmware for the paired device, plus the relevant language packs.

We removed the option to Contact Support but users can still use the functionality to export diagnostic data (including the Health database).

Health data collection and various telemetry reporting has been removed.

The option to suggest new features has been removed.

Fixed a bug which would “crown” your first day of step counts, even if no activity was recorded yet.

Developers can now side-load a service configuration to change which servers the Pebble app communicates with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

A major update has been released for the Android and iOS apps:
This is surprising, I figured Fitbit would half-rear end things and leave it up to the "community" to handle this stuff once they shut the servers off.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wandering around Best Buy last week they had a sad Pebble display with some demo Rounds and Pebble II's. It didn't look like they had any in stock to purchase though.

The Round was a nice watch.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I left my pebble, bought a Fitbit, then went back to wearing my pebble classic again after 3 months because man its good. Screen is already going bonkers at the 1 year mark though. Tide me over until a suitable replacement comes, little guy :smith:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Got a Pebble 2 SE on an Ebay clearance about two weeks ago to replace my broken Classic, and I'm happy to be back. I heard about the Android app update a few days ago, but I'm still not seeing it in my Play Store. Does anyone else not see the update?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have a Nexus 5x and got an original Pebble from my mom that she never used. I want to use it, but it interferes with my Anker Bluetooth headphones. Rapid pops and dropouts. Is this common? Is there a fix?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I used a pebble classic with bt headphones a bunch with no problems so I'd say it's abnormal

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Jago posted:

I have a Nexus 5x and got an original Pebble from my mom that she never used. I want to use it, but it interferes with my Anker Bluetooth headphones. Rapid pops and dropouts. Is this common? Is there a fix?

I've had no issues with my Pebble + Nexus 5X but that's without Bluetooth headphones.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Although it wasn't headphones, my 5X was able to connect to my Pebble and car stereo simultaneously without problems.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Anyone have a good place for bands? My original was worn so I got a new one from gadgetwraps and it lasted a month.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I just bought a cheap metal band off Amazon and it has lasted a year and a half

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Was able to pick up the Pebble 2 SE at Target for $65 but I'm having issues with the watch disconnecting from my Pixel periodically. Whether it's over time after being idle or I walk too far, it takes forever for it to reconnect and it seems to require me to bring up the Pebble app on my Pixel to get it working. It then prompts me with a "allow this app to turn on bluetooth?" message despite the fact that I leave Bluetooth on indefinitely.

Anyone have any similar issues?

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

Was able to pick up the Pebble 2 SE at Target for $65 but I'm having issues with the watch disconnecting from my Pixel periodically. Whether it's over time after being idle or I walk too far, it takes forever for it to reconnect and it seems to require me to bring up the Pebble app on my Pixel to get it working. It then prompts me with a "allow this app to turn on bluetooth?" message despite the fact that I leave Bluetooth on indefinitely.

Anyone have any similar issues?

I occasionally have disconnects for similar reasons but the watch will reconnect as soon as I unlock my phone (though occasionally it does take opening the app if the watch and phone have been separated for hours).

Is the pebble app whitelisted for Doze?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Jacobus Spades posted:

I occasionally have disconnects for similar reasons but the watch will reconnect as soon as I unlock my phone (though occasionally it does take opening the app if the watch and phone have been separated for hours).

Is the pebble app whitelisted for Doze?

That's what I had read elsewhere, disabled it for now and we'll see how that works.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Didn't have an effect, I left my phone plugged in over night just a few feet away from my watch and it still disconnected and failed to reconnect. I've had to re-pair them every morning and anytime I bring my watch outside my Pixels range. Such a bummer.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Switched over to an iPhone 6S and now all of my connection problems went away, imagine that.

Also, the Pebble Time series is on sale at Woot: http://electronics.woot.com/offers/pebble-time-smartwatch-ios-android-compatible-39?ref=w_gh_el_2_s_txt

$35 for Time, $65 for Time Round, $65 for the Time Steel

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Time takes standard watch bands, right?

E: :hurr: maybe I should just read the product description, it takes a standard 22mm watch band

E2: Ugh only Gold for pebble steel, I need Silver!

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 1, 2017

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
So sad about the whole Pebble Time 2 thing, I was looking forward to that.

And I still haven't found a suitable replacement for when my Time Steel finally wears out.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

cage-free egghead posted:

Also, the Pebble Time series is on sale at Woot: http://electronics.woot.com/offers/pebble-time-smartwatch-ios-android-compatible-39?ref=w_gh_el_2_s_txt

$35 for Time, $65 for Time Round, $65 for the Time Steel

Thanks for the heads up! My wife has been thinking of getting something to track steps and she figured for $42 shipped this would be great!

I can't believe I paid $180 for mine :sigh:
Still love it, though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

speedtek posted:

Thanks for the heads up! My wife has been thinking of getting something to track steps and she figured for $42 shipped this would be great!

I suppose it is late to ask this but did Pebble ever get step tracking working right? It was always rubbish for me, worse than Android Wear which was last time I bothered to try it, useless.

In related news Fitbit's smartwatch has "leaked":

No apps at launch but maybe some Pebble stuff made it in.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That's garbage

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
The step tracking seemed fine once they released their native fitness app IMO. I turned it off on mine because I never made any use of the data and it was rough on my battery.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is that a pebble-style screen or an old-school LCD?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Probably lcd or something, unless there's been huge developments in eink displays. Could also be concept art. So who knows for sure

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Well, bought a time steel to replace my steel because there isn't anything particularly appealing coming out from Android Wear and my steel has had two buttons that only work intermittently and screen tearing/blank screens with notifications issues for months. The supposed Fitbit mock up and recent discounts sealed the deal. Forgot how nice it is when it just works.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I dunno how they acquired both pebble and vector and then put out a piece of garbage like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Target has Pebble 2 for $40 and I was so tempted but I understand the thing isn't as good as a fitbit at keeping track of health?

• Locked thread