Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
let's see what the fortune cookie says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
apparently nothing because these posts are getting blackholed now

here, i decided to be the change i wanted to see in the world:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836929

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
rip akadajet's post, lost forever

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah if you are serving a different character sequence as js to your clients than you're looking at in your editor you need source maps and you need to know basically how to make them work. doesn't matter if it's typescript or any Babel thing or flow or even loving fable for that matter.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sapozhnik posted:

still paralyzed by indecision lol

i've done a complete and utter 180 on the file extension thing in the space of like 2hrs because there's a whole bunch of poo poo like jsx or es2015 or type annotations that you can mix and match into your toolchain and you're not going to stick all those things into the file extension

flow is also strictly just a type checker. there is a completely separate babel plugin that just strips out all the type annotations without checking them. and you slot that in amongst all the other babel plugins that implement jsx, transpile es2017 down to es5, do the css import magic, etc etc. this feels very right on a fundamental level.

typescript is a transpiler, and you then feed its output into another transpiler (babel). ts has a lot of overlap with what babel does but babel is a lot more powerful. this seems strictly worse than the way that flow does its thing and it bugs the crap out of me.

e: oh and i got it to compile and something went wrong at runtime but it spit out a backtrace showing the typescript-transpiled code instead of my typescript code. naaaa gently caress this, flow it is. i'll hold my nose and deal with atom i guess. urgh.

i probably wouldn't judge a language based purely on how elegantly it fits into my build pipeline

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hot garbage clown bait

you rang?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how long is it gonna take y'all to learn emacs is the one true path
also if someone is interested in emacs i would heavily recommend spacemacs (emacs w/ sperges managing your config for you)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I feel like male shoegaze is now wholly unqualified to be the terrible programmers OP

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

go post in new thread guys

comedyblissoption posted:

also if someone is interested in emacs i would heavily recommend spacemacs (emacs w/ sperges managing your config for you)

sperges sounds like a computer-literate au pair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
new thread is here!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836929

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 9, 2017

• Locked thread