Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My boss has one of those super feeders and yeah it seemed somewhat annoying to set up but once going should last forever. They're built hella solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
How big a deal is if it a cat gets a little milk now and then? We're not feeding him any milk, but he has the tendency to jump up on tables and stick his head into empty glasses and lick what little milk remains on the bottom. We got kids so stuff is always lying around.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s not a big deal at all unless it makes them throw up or have diarrhea.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Apparently they, or at least the tabby one, likes oil. How do I know this? Well this morning I found him jumped up on the kitchen counter and he was licking oil out of the deep fryer (had the lid off and forgot to put back).

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Apparently they, or at least the tabby one, likes oil. How do I know this? Well this morning I found him jumped up on the kitchen counter and he was licking oil out of the deep fryer (had the lid off and forgot to put back).

Occasionally I'll fry up some bacon and leave the pan on the stovetop. I have, in a couple of instances, found a little cat paw print in the bacon grease the next day - cat got hungry and wanted a midnight snack.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Last nights food adventure, we had burritos, he ninja'ed his way onto the table and started licking up some guacamole from a plate. Now I know that stuff is not good for him has garlic and onions in it so I took it away in a hurry. Keepin the spray bottle near every time we eat now....

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Ours tried to steal a banana Laffy Taffy from me last night. Kept finding ways to lick it when I wasn't looking, too. What part of that could even possibly smell good to a cat?!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We recently got a ragdoll kitten (2 months old) and was wondering when is the right time to switch from kitten food to adult food?

Also he seems to really like smoked turkey breast, is it ok to give him some now and then as a treat? It's not lunch meat with additives or anything, just straight up real turkey breast. I was wondering if maybe that it's smoked might not be good for him.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
So I have three cats, and one of them got a bladder stone. The Vet recommended a diet change to help prevent this, but the only brand of urinary specific food they sell is Hill's and it's far more costly than what I usually buy. (Kirkland based on previous recommendations.) As my cats eat out of a communal bowl, and I've had no luck separating feeding, I was wondering if there were other more economic options and also I was wondering if Hill's is garbage as is.

Any suggestions? Cost isn't really a big thing, but I don't want to pay through the nose for garbage so I'd feel more comfortable knowing what's what.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I am trying to guide my Mom through her financial difficulties, but I can't stop her from spending $45 a week buying Wellness cat food from Amazon to feed two cats. She's apparently heard from some hippies about how dangerous carrageenan is, though from what I can see these seem to be the same people who think my cell phone is killing my brain. I feel like I could lower her cat food bills by a third if I get pry her off this crusade. Is this insane?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mulloy posted:

So I have three cats, and one of them got a bladder stone. The Vet recommended a diet change to help prevent this, but the only brand of urinary specific food they sell is Hill's and it's far more costly than what I usually buy. (Kirkland based on previous recommendations.) As my cats eat out of a communal bowl, and I've had no luck separating feeding, I was wondering if there were other more economic options and also I was wondering if Hill's is garbage as is.

Any suggestions? Cost isn't really a big thing, but I don't want to pay through the nose for garbage so I'd feel more comfortable knowing what's what.

My cat has been eating the Hills Urinary S/O for 8 years now with no issues, after having 9 bladder stones removed, so it seems that something's working. I feed her with 1/4 can and 1/4 cup dry in the morning, and same in the evening.

I don't know what to do about your actual issue, because my cat doesn't eat with other cats.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Mulloy posted:

One of my cats had urinary issues and was prescribed an S/O food from a different maker. I scanned the prescription and order the food from Chewy, which is much cheaper than buying it at my vet's office. I think I save around 40%.

I talked with two vets about my other cat, who is healthy and greedy, and they said the S/O food would be fine for a normal cat too. So I just feed both cats the prescription food. It costs a little more than the fancy food I was buying before, but not that much more. They absolutely love it, much more than the fancy food with reassuring ingredient names that I was buying. And there are urinary-safe treats you can buy with a prescription too.

The S/O works for urinary issues so although I don't feel as comfortable with the ingredient names, I stick with the prescription and you should too. I think that recommendation is in one of the OPs as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I am trying to guide my Mom through her financial difficulties, but I can't stop her from spending $45 a week buying Wellness cat food from Amazon to feed two cats. She's apparently heard from some hippies about how dangerous carrageenan is, though from what I can see these seem to be the same people who think my cell phone is killing my brain. I feel like I could lower her cat food bills by a third if I get pry her off this crusade. Is this insane?

does she have like 8 cats? That should be enough for a month from costco or wherever. Seems like you just have a mom problem.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
Thanks for the advice. I'll check in on Chewy and see if the prescription matches up. I did talk to the vet about the other cats and she said they should be fine eating it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sarern posted:

The S/O works for urinary issues so although I don't feel as comfortable with the ingredient names, I stick with the prescription and you should too. I think that recommendation is in one of the OPs as well.

Yeah, my vet said that a lot of people will just stop feeding the prescription stuff after a while because it's expensive, and then surprise! The old issues come back.

Other than a cyst that appeared by her ear a few years back, she's never had any issues since the surgery.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Our cat can't tolerate whatever they replaced the carrageenan with and so we can't feed her Wellness anymore. I was sad when that happened because Wellness was relatively cheap "good" food when bought in the 12oz cans. Is your mom buying the tiny cans individually or something?

But yes your mom has a problem and carrageenan isn't going to kill your cat. Especially on the time scale that cats live.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Mulloy posted:

I personally use Farmina's vet formulas for my broken animals, if you're worried about cost that's probably not the best plan though.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
One of my cats is on a prescription renal diet. Are there any good treats out there he can have? Sorry if this has been asked before.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

To be honest, you're probably going to HAVE to make some changes in your cat's feeding habits, I wouldn't suggest feeding a vet diet to an animal the doesn't need it as they're not formulated right for healthy animals. You could switch to measured feeding and then take the bowls away afterwards, they'll yell for a while but they'll get used to it. Another option is to get some of the feeders that only open when it gets a signal match from a tag on a collar, that way you could still free-feed while making it so there's no cross between the cats.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

One of my cats is on a prescription renal diet. Are there any good treats out there he can have? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Cats can have little a salami.

What I'm saying is that as long as they're used sparingly, treats aren't likely to be a substantial enough percentage of the cat's diet as to be an issue.

As always, check with your vet.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

MikeyTsi posted:

Cats can have little a salami.

What I'm saying is that as long as they're used sparingly, treats aren't likely to be a substantial enough percentage of the cat's diet as to be an issue.

As always, check with your vet.

Thanks! He needs to go in for a check up soon, so I'll ask when I bring him. For now he can keep getting the good stuff.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Are the food rankings in the OP still pretty accurate?

Also that thing that went around facebook where that woman's dog got haemorrhaging gastroenteritis and she blamed it on the blue buffalo dental treat was probably bunk, right?

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
A chunk of the op brands have either changed ownership, formulas, manufacturing plants, all of the above, or dont exist anymore, etc. So not really imo. What brands were you wondering about? :)

That probably did happen, I think it is becoming a class action lawsuit? Google + Amazon tells me similar issues have happened across many brands of dental bones, including the BB ones. Like they just dont digest for some dogs. The BB case took off though. Maybe because it has pictures and those pictures were very bad.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
My cat stopped liking her Merrick Adult dry food recently. Could anyone suggest a replacement food that's good for an oldish (she's about 10) cat?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
How do the recent FDA reports of a potential link between grain-free dog food and canine heart disease affect the list of recommended dog foods/ingredients? A few of the recommended premium options appear in the report. From what I gather, it seems to be related to foods with lentils/peas/other legumes and potatoes as primary ingredients. I know the research is hardly conclusive, but continuing with a grain free formula seems like an unnecessary risk given there are other acceptable options.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My personal recommendation is to only feed grain-free if your pet has a grain allergy.

I have an idea. Instead of a hopelessly out of date OP let's add a list of pet stores that sell high quality food.

For example: Seattle: Mud Bay, Petapoluza

Bay Area: Pet Food Express

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Splinter posted:

How do the recent FDA reports of a potential link between grain-free dog food and canine heart disease affect the list of recommended dog foods/ingredients? A few of the recommended premium options appear in the report. From what I gather, it seems to be related to foods with lentils/peas/other legumes and potatoes as primary ingredients. I know the research is hardly conclusive, but continuing with a grain free formula seems like an unnecessary risk given there are other acceptable options.

Everything is basically in a waiting pattern. My guess is the end result will be the same as what happened with feline food, but I think everyone is waiting for the FDA to set requirements.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
One of my cats just had her second dental cleaning and this time, a tooth removed.

I had been feeding her Blue Buffalo Blue Wilderness Adult Salmon Recipe Dry Cat Food for most of her life. The vet thinks that because the kibble is so small, it's been sticking to her teeth hence the tarter built up. I switched to the bigger kibble of Hill's Science Diet Adult Oral Care Dry Cat Food, but then read the third ingredient is corn gluten meal.

The kibble is about a 1/4, grazing supplement outside of her primary wet (grain free) food.

Does anyone have a recommendation for healthier cat kibble that helps keep their teeth clean?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Cheesus posted:

One of my cats just had her second dental cleaning and this time, a tooth removed.

I had been feeding her Blue Buffalo Blue Wilderness Adult Salmon Recipe Dry Cat Food for most of her life. The vet thinks that because the kibble is so small, it's been sticking to her teeth hence the tarter built up. I switched to the bigger kibble of Hill's Science Diet Adult Oral Care Dry Cat Food, but then read the third ingredient is corn gluten meal.

The kibble is about a 1/4, grazing supplement outside of her primary wet (grain free) food.

Does anyone have a recommendation for healthier cat kibble that helps keep their teeth clean?

You could look in to dental treats, greenies makes one for cats for instance.

There's also some things I've seen online that are supposed to work to help clean teeth, but I haven't examined them personally myself.

Another option is to brush the cat's teeth, at least for my dog my vet recommends brushing once a week and doing just the outside should be most helpful.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Cheesus posted:

My vet has us use dental food as treats, saying about 10 kibbles a day should be enough to clean her teeth. We feed wet food otherwise.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Thanks. I've used Greenies since her last cleaning two years ago, but it apparently doesn't help with the kibble in the mix.

My only concern with going wet-only is 5-7 times a year we'll go on a weekend or longer trip. I leave out feeders of kibble for them for that period (with the occasional check-in from my mother to feed them wet).

I've had a fear that if they weren't "used" to eating dry, they'd not eat it on those rare occasions of using the feeders, but maybe that fear isn't well founded; surely they'd figure it out and not starve themselves?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Got a question for you, pet nutrition thread!

My two cats' birthdays are tomorrow, and I'm tryna make them little cat cakes :3: I've seen a few recipes that use about 1.5TBSP of AP flour, so I'm assuming it's okay, but then some random YouTuber said it's bad and to only use coconut flour, do now I'm confused. Is AP flour alright for my furbutts?

Knowing them they'll probably sniff the cake, meow at me loudly and unapprovingly, then go try to eat my Bluetooth headphones case, but I still wanna try!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

My two cats' birthdays are tomorrow, and I'm tryna make them little cat cakes :3: I've seen a few recipes that use about 1.5TBSP of AP flour, so I'm assuming it's okay, but then some random YouTuber said it's bad and to only use coconut flour, do now I'm confused. Is AP flour alright for my furbutts?

Knowing them they'll probably sniff the cake, meow at me loudly and unapprovingly, then go try to eat my Bluetooth headphones case, but I still wanna try!

It's fine for a special occasion. Some people go really extreme on the obligate carnivore thing, which is what I bet the YouTuber was on.

Alexithymia
Dec 7, 2019
Pet Nutrition thread, I seek your wisdom.

I suspect my dog has a bit of acidity going on, nothing major (very small grunting noises that sound like burping) . The food I have him in (Acana Small Breed) is pretty much the best I've found (Kibble size, ingredients are met with approval and resulting poop is ideal).
He's not a fan of sweet potatoes or pumpkin, but he is fine with chicken which I know helps, but are there other foods I could give him as treats to help?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Alexithymia posted:

Pet Nutrition thread, I seek your wisdom.

I suspect my dog has a bit of acidity going on, nothing major (very small grunting noises that sound like burping) . The food I have him in (Acana Small Breed) is pretty much the best I've found (Kibble size, ingredients are met with approval and resulting poop is ideal).
He's not a fan of sweet potatoes or pumpkin, but he is fine with chicken which I know helps, but are there other foods I could give him as treats to help?

Add a probiotic maybe? Couldn't hurt anything.

Johnny Truant posted:

Just a one time thing probably not gonna be harmful. This is adorable that you're doing this. If it was me I'd probably try icing it with a little teeny layer of some kinda squeeze cheese product, cats usually love that poo poo.

Cheesus posted:

Theres Hills t/d which is a prescription diet. Also as others mentioned, training them to let you actually brush their teeth. The key with this is to go really slow and not try to hold them down/force it or they'll just fight you more the next time. This guide looks pretty good

https://consciouscat.net/2018/02/12/brushing-cats-teeth-training-program/

Charles posted:

My personal recommendation is to only feed grain-free if your pet has a grain allergy.

I have an idea. Instead of a hopelessly out of date OP let's add a list of pet stores that sell high quality food.

For example: Seattle: Mud Bay, Petapoluza

Bay Area: Pet Food Express
I wonder if someone should make a new thread. The op is a bit outdated especially with the whole grain free thing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I did a thing...
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920678&pagenumber=1&perpage=40