Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

So that's Colm Meaney as the Doctor and Kenneth Branagh as the Master.

Every episode would just be the Doctor living out several lifetimes in a torturous hell prison while a day passes for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I just want to clarify that if the doctor were to ever be a lady ood she would need to have enormous knockers

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

So that's Colm Meaney as the Doctor and Kenneth Branagh as the Master.

I'd watch it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Every episode would just be the Doctor living out several lifetimes in a torturous hell prison while a day passes for everyone else.

The Master's endless uncut four-hour version of Hamlet.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Riptor posted:

I just want to clarify that if the doctor were to ever be a lady ood she would need to have enormous knockers

I'd watch it

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's tricky. On the one hand I'm really looking forward to seeing One and Twelve interact and recasting is obviously the only way to do that.
On the other hand how much of that is down to me just not being super familiar with the First Doctor, having not watched any since I was a kid.
A good point of comparison would be the Day Of The Doctor. Would anyone have supported them recasting the Ninth doctor since Eccleston wasn't available?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Would anyone have supported them recasting the Ninth doctor since Eccleston wasn't available?

Big Finish did just that didn't they? Audio only I know, but honestly it's always been clear since the Five Doctors that it was in no way out of the question to recast a Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Big Finish did just that didn't they? Audio only I know, but honestly it's always been clear since the Five Doctors that it was in no way out of the question to recast a Doctor.

Not really, no. Big Finish does full audio dramas, but they also do audio stories that are prose as read by single companions, who typically do voices for the rest of the characters. It sounds like hair-splitting, I know, and with Big Finish it sort of is, because they add sound effects and sometimes have multiple readers, but it is a bit different. More like an audio book and less like a radio play.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The thing about pointing to Five Doctors to say "no, see, they did it before" is that it completely ignores that doing so that first time has come to be viewed largely as a mistake and a bit of a joke in the following thirty years. To the point that David Tennant and Phil Colinson call it "Three and a Half Doctors and a Bloke in a Wig" on their dvd commentary of the story

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Not really, no. Big Finish does full audio dramas, but they also do audio stories that are prose as read by single companions, who typically do voices for the rest of the characters. It sounds like hair-splitting, I know, and with Big Finish it sort of is, because they add sound effects and sometimes have multiple readers, but it is a bit different. More like an audio book and less like a radio play.

The straight up recast the Third Doctor and Ben though in full cast audios...

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

The Third Doctor Adventures at least started with narration by Treloar that kind of sells it as a Chronicles/Adventures type thing but my understanding is that they dropped it after the first set and just went full on, full cast, recast after that.

And yeah, not just Ben, I think they have the woman that played Jacqueline Hill in the anniversary docudrama playing Barbara in later Early Adventures releases too

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

Huh. That's new since I was tracking what they did... my Big Finish consumption has slowed down, so by the time I get to what they're doing now, the show will be having its 100th anniversary.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe Frazer is also straight up just playing the Second Doctor now as well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Frazer is, and so is Peter Purves with One (and pretty much William Russell on his audios, and he can often pull off a more convincing One than he can Young Chatterton).

However I did not know about

Box of Bunnies posted:

they have the woman that played Jacqueline Hill in the anniversary docudrama playing Barbara in later Early Adventures releases too

..which means you get her and William Russell and Carol Ann Ford or Maureen O'Brien and it's p much a straight up full cast audio. :dance:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I was trying to come up with an intelligent summation of my feelings about this question and I can't. Came up completely dry. All I got is this.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

No War, No 12, not canon.

:colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

No War, No 12, not canon.

:colbert:

They did a No sir, All 13! Set I think. I know for sure there's one with War.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darth Brooks posted:

I was trying to come up with an intelligent summation of my feelings about this question and I can't. Came up completely dry. All I got is this.

Some of those are actually pretty decent likenesses, but holy poo poo Eleven looks like he's he was born with fetal alcohol syndrome and Nine looks more like Jason Isaacs.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And seven was not that...svelte.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HD DAD posted:

And seven was not that...svelte.

It's just that picture. The actual figure is appropriately stout.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

They did a No sir, All 13! Set I think. I know for sure there's one with War.

They did indeed! Although the Capaldi is the first edition face mould that looks nothing like him, rather than the more recent one which is pretty good.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

The_Doctor posted:

They did indeed! Although the Capaldi is the first edition face mould that looks nothing like him, rather than the more recent one which is pretty good.

But it's the purple scarf!

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

The_Doctor posted:

What the hell have they done to six? That's not the garish rainbow we've all come to know and love tolerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wyld Karde posted:

What the hell have they done to six? That's not the garish rainbow we've all come to know and love tolerate.

It's from the BBC animated story Real Time. Big Finish have used the colour scheme on occasion too.

• Locked thread