Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Steve Yun posted:

Are there laptops that will be decent for gaming and can be run closed to a tv without overheating

Define decent for gaming. What games at what resolution?

Your not going to get nearly the performance per dollar as a console or even a micro build though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ooh tell me about micro builds

I’m thinking about using it as a tv gaming pc

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are tons of micro-ITX options out there and you can go all out.

I have a mITX build because i wanted something small on my desk. It's not all that far dimension wise from a Xbox Series X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rlLXLObXKM

I have the SM560. Has a 3070ti, 3700x, 32gb of ram, and 8tb of storage. It's about the coolest running and most silent system I've had too.

Unfortunately Sliger doesn't make it anymore, but there are plenty of options out there.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 20, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Thinking about this more there is a pocket there where a laptop might give you better performance, but it's small. "Using a steam deck or rog ally like a switch" and "getting a real micro PC" are two way more likely and better solutions. So I guess it depends on what kinda games you want to play. If you really want your main PC gaming to be on this and your not moving it around then yeah, almost definitely micro PC.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Any major issues with the HP EliteBook line? There's a deal right now on this one that looks kind of tempting.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

Any major issues with the HP EliteBook line? There's a deal right now on this one that looks kind of tempting.

I think they're pretty decent though usually a T14 or L14 is a better deal, but this looks really good too. Haven't seen a stellar T14 deal in a while.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I've been looking at ThinkPads as well, but the only one that's stuck out to me is an OLED P16 that I've heard has PWM flicker and definitely has soldered RAM. Seems like we're between generations and pickings are getting slim.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

I have been using one of those and the slightly faster clone with the 7840HS (Firefly 14a). They are solid if you get the dream color display which it looks like that one has. My only complaint is that with an AMD APU I would actually prefer soldered RAM for the much higher clock rates. DIMMs usually top out around 5400-5600 MT/s while soldered can get in the 7000s.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Helter Skelter posted:

I like the ones I've dealt with recently. Easy to open and swap out parts in since the whole bottom just unscrews and comes off, leaves you with access to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Looks like it went out of stock some time in the last few hours, but thank you all for the information!