Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

It cost more than your Master's degree?? Now that's the Apple premium I've heard so much about

Up here in Canada they pay you to get a master’s degree a lot of the time. I did buy my iPad Pro with part of my stipend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A Strange Aeon posted:

It cost more than your Master's degree?? Now that's the Apple premium I've heard so much about

drat Apple tax! :argh:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
MBA isn't a real Masters degree.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

~Coxy posted:

MBA isn't a real Masters degree.

:hmmyes:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Had anyone had any luck with a generic chinese Pencil on a iPad 9.7 or 10.5?

I took a punt on one that was one sale even though it said it wasn't compatible, because it specifically said it was compatible with iPad Amateur 6,7,8,9,10.

I can't get it to work on a Pro 10.5, but don't have any other devices to test it with.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm absolutely shocked a generic $5 pencil didn't work.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It wasn't a super cheap generic capacitive stylus, it was one of those $30 ones that has magnets but no wireless charging, like a Pencil 2, and yet it claims it works on iPads Amateur and Air, like a Pencil 1.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

~Coxy posted:

It wasn't a super cheap generic capacitive stylus, it was one of those $30 ones that has magnets but no wireless charging, like a Pencil 2, and yet it claims it works on iPads Amateur and Air, like a Pencil 1.

If the pencil didn't have your model listed as being compatible, and it didn't work, then I would say the pencil is working as intended. I'm not sure what help we can be when we have no idea what you actually purchased plus the fact that from your description, your model isn't even compatible.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

The fact that it’s listing a bunch of much earlier base iPad models that were never pencil compatible probably should have been a red flag, if nothing else.

Probably just chalk that one up to a lost gamble and get one of those 30 dollar crayola pens or something instead.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

If the pencil didn't have your model listed as being compatible, and it didn't work, then I would say the pencil is working as intended. I'm not sure what help we can be when we have no idea what you actually purchased plus the fact that from your description, your model isn't even compatible.

I get what you're saying, but I do have to assume that all these generic Pencils are the same guts inside.

It was this product: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0BCWGC7GJ

Vegastar posted:

The fact that it’s listing a bunch of much earlier base iPad models that were never pencil compatible probably should have been a red flag, if nothing else.

iPad Amateur 6+ is Pencil 1 compatible.

---

Both of you are correct, I'm probably gonna have to pound sand, I'm just surprised that there's a generic device that is somehow both a Pencil 1 and a Pencil 2 but not quite!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Oh, you’re right. For some reason I thought pencil support came to the base model way later than that. My bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looking at getting an iPad Pro to mess around with for drawing, photos and replacing my old laptop. Would the 512GB internal storage be enough for everyday work and saving Procreate images or would a 1TB be worth the extra cost?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you believe rumors there should be a refresh releasing in the next few months with an OLED screen so it might be worth waiting if you can

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arc Hammer posted:

Looking at getting an iPad Pro to mess around with for drawing, photos and replacing my old laptop. Would the 512GB internal storage be enough for everyday work and saving Procreate images or would a 1TB be worth the extra cost?

I got a new-in-box 2TB cellular M1 model from Woot/Amazon for like half off retail. If you don't want to wait for a similar deal (or a similar deal on an M2 model once the refresh happens), I would at least encourage you to wait for the new models to drop. The expectation is that it'll be a fairly sizeable update, with a change to the chassis, a switch to OLED and M3, and a substantial update to the expensive keyboard accessory that is absolutely worth getting if you're already shelling out for a Pro and a Pencil.

I've ended up using mine to shoot a ton of video (Usually I set it up as a Camera 2 to my iPhone's Camera 1) and I'd like to play around with editing a bit on the ipad too, and so all of the storage is really nice in that regard. I'm currently using it as a bit of a laptop replacement with a Windows desktop while I retire my notebook from 2013, so being able to dump files onto it with impunity and still use it to do "iPad poo poo" like synth apps and whatnot (and also film) is cool. I think 512 or 1TB would absolutely be fine tho (definitely get more than 128 or 256 IMO).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As for storage, 512GB is probably plenty but I can only speak for myself. It obviously depends on how many art assets you intend to dump onto the thing.

But I have a 256GB ipad pro with like 40GB of music/art/video related stuff so I haven't even used half the available storage. I feel like a 1TB model is only useful if you do a ton of video editing or hoard assets.