Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Got an email apologizing and asking for my availability for tomorrow. Hope lives on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fil5000 posted:

Neither is good. They're either not that fussed about you or their processes are crap

woooooo

I'll give em another day before taking the other offer

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

dpkg chopra posted:

Got an email apologizing and asking for my availability for tomorrow. Hope lives on.

That's the ticket.

In other news, I've got a 5 hour onsite today where I'm speaking with 9 different people in various panel / 1:1 interviews. Wish me luck, goons.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That’s insane. Good luck!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that sounds fairly reasonable for a senior HR leader

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

dpkg chopra posted:

Had the interview. It went well but for the sake of my sanity I’m going to assume that I’ll never hear from them again.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Just got the (verbal) offer for my internal transfer! I was a bit worried about the timing, since I was going to get promoted to lead next month in my current role, but it sounds like my current & soon-to-be bosses both advocated v hard for that to be taken into account.

It’s a 25% increase in pay, and a role I’m very excited about - data science, but entirely focused on game design, truly so specifically targeted towards me & my skill set. I think I’m technically on the low end of the salary band for the role, but to be fair this is the end of my 2nd year working after going back to school so I mean I’m not mad! This is also a role that usually requires a MS/PhD on top of 2-5 YoE so truly it does make sense, I think I’ll just have to make sure my salary doesn’t get too anchored by this. A very common move is to go to FAANG for a few years and then boomerang back here, but hopefully won’t be necessary. I also get to keep my years at the company for accruing more annual weeks of PTO, which is great - I think I’m a year off 3 weeks, and then two more after that for 4?

Thanks to everyone in the thread for the resume help and interview tips, it’s very very appreciated.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I got a rejection letter from a job I applied to two months ago and Gmail is like hey put an emote to "reply quickly and add personality."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

DTaeKim posted:

I got a rejection letter from a job I applied to two months ago and Gmail is like hey put an emote to "reply quickly and add personality."

Which one?

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
So, I got laid off in January due to bankruptcy and have been having a hell of a time finding a new gig. I have over twenty years experience in enterprise IT architecture and have never *ever* had a problem finding work.

I've went through and updated for ATS, removed all weird formatting, and kinda at my witts end understanding why no callbacks, any advice on the resume below?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dA3qr7aAhkfZ2tCvF_6AtAw76vVWn-JI/view?usp=sharing

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dirty Beluga posted:

So, I got laid off in January due to bankruptcy and have been having a hell of a time finding a new gig. I have over twenty years experience in enterprise IT architecture and have never *ever* had a problem finding work.

I've went through and updated for ATS, removed all weird formatting, and kinda at my witts end understanding why no callbacks, any advice on the resume below?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dA3qr7aAhkfZ2tCvF_6AtAw76vVWn-JI/view?usp=sharing

4 pages feels like a bit much. Try name and header on the first page only, drop leadership section (let your work history to show that), try to limit each job history to 5 or so bullet points, etc.

Also, this thread is full of "I've never had this much trouble finding a job before." That's just how it is lately. It's not just you.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Fun Shoe

wash bucket posted:

4 pages feels like a bit much. Try name and header on the first page only, drop leadership section (let your work history to show that), try to limit each job history to 5 or so bullet points, etc.

I thought four pages is a bit much as well, however its hard to fit as many things as i've done one or two pages.

Good call on showing the leadership stuff through work... though, I've gotten positions from the volunteer section and hiring managers being interested in me because of the places listed...

I'm hesitant to ditch it entirely, always assumed seeing volunteer works helps stand out as well as get it across i am not an unpleasant cave troll to be around / give back to the community.

Dirty Beluga fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 19, 2024

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Dirty Beluga posted:

I thought four pages is a bit much as well, however its hard to fit as many things as i've done one or two pages.

Good call on showing the leadership stuff through work... though, I've gotten positions from the volunteer section and hiring managers being interested in me because of the places listed...

I'm hesitant to ditch it entirely, always assumed seeing volunteer works helps stand out as well as get it across i am not an unpleasant cave troll to be around / give back to the community.

If you feel that strongly about it you can just put a one liner in your summary about your volunteer experience and delete the volunteer section, saving 3" of space.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dirty Beluga posted:

Dirty Beluga posted:

Although I've hired 5 or 6 software devs, I havent hired people at or applied to positions at the level you're at, so grain of salt.

Overall:
Its not horrible, imma roast you in the spirit of helping and fun but its not awful or anything.

Job Hunting thoughts:
- Where are you finding jobs through? What % of applications more than 1 week old end up with a phone screen or better? How many total applications have you made?
- If interested in startups, suggest Work at a Startup for applications.
- What levels are you applying to?

Resume Thoughts:
- 4 Pages is indeed a bit much. Theres plenty of fat to be trimmed. In that spirit...
-- Reach each job or paragraph and ask yourself "how can I say the same thing but with fewer words?"
-- Get "Profile" from 3 lines to 2.
--Your long list of core competencies say "this person is a bullshitter" to me. You probably arent that competent at this wide ranging of core competencies. Theres no way youre an AWS SME with who authored the PM BoK is the originator of several CVEs and has lawyer level knowledge of FINRA and HIPAA. Your core competencies shouldn't be 15 things and no way I'm reading all of these. Figure out which ones are most desirable for the jobs you're applying for an tailor this so its 2 lines long, not 5 lines long.
-- "Over #" is weasel wording, just say the number it sounds stronger.
- Youre a manager with an 11 person team but dont mention hiring and firing, couple talk mroe about people ops if youre going for manager/director positions.
-- The most recent job reads like a front line manager with 11 direct reports who is taking a lot of credit for their technical achievements. A little mixed messaging. Go for "I'm a manager" or "I'm an architect", have two resumes if you are applying to both.
- Include a one liner for the 04-08 and 10-15 jobs

...Theres more but i ran out of steam after page 1 and 4. Get this poo poo to two pages. You dont need the AA you got 15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

Although I've hired 5 or 6 software devs, I havent hired people at or applied to positions at the level you're at, so grain of salt.

Overall:
Its not horrible, imma roast you in the spirit of helping and fun but its not awful or anything.

Job Hunting thoughts:
- Where are you finding jobs through? What % of applications more than 1 week old end up with a phone screen or better? How many total applications have you made?
- If interested in startups, suggest Work at a Startup for applications.
- What levels are you applying to?

Resume Thoughts:
- 4 Pages is indeed a bit much. Theres plenty of fat to be trimmed. In that spirit...
-- Reach each job or paragraph and ask yourself "how can I say the same thing but with fewer words?"
-- Get "Profile" from 3 lines to 2.
--Your long list of core competencies say "this person is a bullshitter" to me. You probably arent that competent at this wide ranging of core competencies. Theres no way youre an AWS SME with who authored the PM BoK is the originator of several CVEs and has lawyer level knowledge of FINRA and HIPAA. Your core competencies shouldn't be 15 things and no way I'm reading all of these. Figure out which ones are most desirable for the jobs you're applying for an tailor this so its 2 lines long, not 5 lines long.
-- "Over #" is weasel wording, just say the number it sounds stronger.
- Youre a manager with an 11 person team but dont mention hiring and firing, couple talk mroe about people ops if youre going for manager/director positions.
-- The most recent job reads like a front line manager with 11 direct reports who is taking a lot of credit for their technical achievements. A little mixed messaging. Go for "I'm a manager" or "I'm an architect", have two resumes if you are applying to both.
- Include a one liner for the 04-08 and 10-15 jobs

...Theres more but i ran out of steam after page 1 and 4. Get this poo poo to two pages. You dont need the AA you got 15 years ago.

This is excellent feedback and appreciated. Thank you. I'm burnt out today but 100% will go back and make some of the changes suggested.
In my defense though, my last position i literally did manage a team of 11 and greenfield datacenters with them, and build out our azure strategy - if you have any way to make it sounds less like im a cheesy frontline manager I'd love some pointers. :)