Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

RVProfootballer posted:

You have to listen to it all the way through and then it should auto delete. If it doesn't, restart it and try again and it almost certainly should after the second play.

It took me three listens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't think there really is the concept of a camera roll anymore in iOS 8 with the new iCloud Photos system. The Recently Added album is the closest thing but I don't think it's quite the same. All of your photos should just be in iCloud and then synced to all devices.
The recently added is only showing about 90 photos but I definitely had a few hundred on there.

I think the best thing for me to do is just manually back up every photo I had sitting around, wipe the libraries on both my iPhone and iPad and then start from scratch so everything gets sorted properly. Is iCloud for Windows still garbage or does it actually sync the photos now?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

electricHyena posted:

Do I really need to get up at 3am EDT to place my preorder or will I be OK waiting until later that morning? I can't pick up the phone until the 21st anyway. Will this be an issue? I've never tried to get an iPhone this soon after release before.

On one hand, the fact that they're doing preorders means that they probably have a large stock of the 6 (I wouldn't count on a lot of 6+ stock). However, it's an iPhone and there are a ton of people ready to upgrade from the 4S and 5.

gmcsonoma
Jan 27, 2004

Has there been any information about using nfc for functions besides payments? I have a Sony camera that lets me launch its app and pair up with phone via tap, it works really well with Android and my laptop, however with the current ios version you need to manually connect them over wifi which is kind of cumbersome.

eames
May 9, 2009

Apparently the iPhone 6+ renders at "3x" (1242x2208) and downsamples to 1080p, similar to how the rMBPs do it to work around the usual UI scaling issues.

https://medium.com/@brucewangsg/the-curious-case-of-iphone-6-1080p-display-b33dac5bbcb6

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1774405

If this is the case, won’t there be a freaking huge performance difference between the two devices?

From what the specs and articles suggest they are both running the same CPU and GPU but the iPhone 6+ has to render at 2.7 (1242x2208) megapixels and scale that down to 2.1 (1080x1920) megapixels while the regular iPhone 6 just renders natively at exactly 1 megapixel (750x1334).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is iCloud for Windows still garbage or does it actually sync the photos now?

:lol: It's crazy that you have to ask. Maybe iCloud Drive will be the opportunity for them to un-gently caress it up.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:lol: It's crazy that you have to ask. Maybe iCloud Drive will be the opportunity for them to un-gently caress it up.
To be honest I think I'd prefer a web interface on icloud.com that I can upload a few hundred photos to.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, so, my friend has a Verizon 4S. I vaguely remember the Verizon one being able to work with AT&T and that's what I need to do. Do they have a method similar to AT&T where you can request an unlock after your contract is up?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, so, my friend has a Verizon 4S. I vaguely remember the Verizon one being able to work with AT&T and that's what I need to do. Do they have a method similar to AT&T where you can request an unlock after your contract is up?

Verizon iPhones are sold unlocked. Just pop in the AT&T SIM. Or, at least this is true for the 5 & 5S.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

tonic posted:

Verizon iPhones are sold unlocked. Just pop in the AT&T SIM. Or, at least this is true for the 5 & 5S.

It's not the case for anything older than the 5. Verizon won't unlock the 4S to run on domestic GSM, they'll only do an unlock for international use.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Am I just SOL or is there a jailbreak way to do it?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

Am I just SOL or is there a jailbreak way to do it?

SOL.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
So easiest way to preorder the iPhone online? Can you preorder off your phone on an app or something? I'm in Canada btw.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ray_finkle_himself posted:

So easiest way to preorder the iPhone online? Can you preorder off your phone on an app or something? I'm in Canada btw.

Apple Store app seems to be the consensus

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

One more upgrade question. If my upgrade is available on 10/17/14 and I order my phone that day but it doesn't come for a few weeks, will my next upgrade in 2016 be based on the day I ordered or the day I actually activate the phone?

e: basically, am I doomed to have my upgrade pushed back 2-3 weeks every time until I hit a point where supply of the phone I want is plentiful by the time I can actually upgrade?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

carry on then posted:

One more upgrade question. If my upgrade is available on 10/17/14 and I order my phone that day but it doesn't come for a few weeks, will my next upgrade in 2016 be based on the day I ordered or the day I actually activate the phone?
Activate, in my experience.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Walmart and Sam's Club are offering the 16GB 6 for $180. Is there any reason I shouldn't pre-order through them? I have an old voice unlimited data plan through AT&T.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Please take all preordering discussion to the new thread devoted to it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664195

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm guessing this is the last year my 4S gets updates

Thanks Apple for letting me put off upgrading all my connectors and chargers for another year

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

eames posted:

Apparently the iPhone 6+ renders at "3x" (1242x2208) and downsamples to 1080p, similar to how the rMBPs do it to work around the usual UI scaling issues.
Apple couldn't get anyone to manufacture a 1242x2208 panel, even tho the 4.7" has an odd resolution, too? --edit: Feels like the 6+ was a late decision in a hurry.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 11, 2014

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Any word on increased battery drain from the "hey Siri" feature?

:Edit: I am a super retard

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 11, 2014

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Daedalus Esquire posted:

It only works when the phone is plugged in.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Well, you can only use it when it's plugged in to a power source so...

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

eames posted:

https://medium.com/@brucewangsg/the-curious-case-of-iphone-6-1080p-display-b33dac5bbcb6

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1774405

If this is the case, won’t there be a freaking huge performance difference between the two devices?

From what the specs and articles suggest they are both running the same CPU and GPU but the iPhone 6+ has to render at 2.7 (1242x2208) megapixels and scale that down to 2.1 (1080x1920) megapixels while the regular iPhone 6 just renders natively at exactly 1 megapixel (750x1334).

We'll have to wait and see. The 6+ could be running at faster clock speed than the 6 to compensate. Even if they're the same speed the 6+ should be able to run at a higher speed for longer than the 6 before hitting thermal throttling (the larger surface area dissipates heat better).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

We'll have to wait and see. The 6+ could be running at faster clock speed than the 6 to compensate. Even if they're the same speed the 6+ should be able to run at a higher speed for longer than the 6 before hitting thermal throttling (the larger surface area dissipates heat better).

It's probably going to be very similar to the situation with the iPad vs iPhone today. The iPads are clocked ~100Mhz faster and do take advantage of less throttling: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/ipad-airs-a7-chip-is-identical-to-the-iphones-just-faster/

Probably there will appear to be a marginal loss of performance for the 6+ over the 6, but at least for games, developers will likely be able to tune performance so the hit isn't noticeable, probably by rendering internally at the same resolution and scaling.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Have there been any battery life tests done for the 6 vs. 6+?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Review embargos haven't been lifted yet, so no.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Shoot. I'd like to know that before I pre-order in the morning.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

carry on then posted:

Review embargos haven't been lifted yet, so no.
Any known date, i.e. tomorrow?

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Reviews normally come 2-3 days before official release.

eames
May 9, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apple couldn't get anyone to manufacture a 1242x2208 panel, even tho the 4.7" has an odd resolution, too? --edit: Feels like the 6+ was a late decision in a hurry.

Certainly looks like it. 6+ currently has 401 ppi and it would have had ~461 ppi with the correct native "3x" resolution.
Other devices like the Galaxy S5 Prime have 576 ppi at 5.1" so I don't see a reason for putting a 1080p panel in there unless they couldn't get one in time or they are cutting corners to save costs.

The iPhone 6S Plus would be a good candidate for the "fixed" resolution because the resolution bump won't require any changes by the developers and the higher resolution could even improve (!) performance a tiny bit. Strange.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Recently it's been 3 days before release at 9PM PDT. So my guess for this year is 9PM on Tuesday the 16th.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anyone want to put a new thread together? It doesn't need to be a spectacular OP or anything, but a bit of effort is always appreciated!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
iPhone 5 question: I notice the battery drains like crazy anytime LTE is unavailable and I'm stuck using 4g. I'm frequently stuck in a building for work that has poor service (no LTE, 4g only) & just leaving it in my pocket within an hour the battery is down anywhere from 20-40%.

I never see battery drains this quickly except in this scenario, so I'm assuming that the phone is burning power by trying to constantly find an LTE tower? I've tried turning off LTE in this situation, thinking that the phone would be happy to simply remain on the 4g network but I don't see any significant result.

wtf should I do besides bring a charger with me in these situations (which isn't really an option anyway)?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Anyone want to put a new thread together? It doesn't need to be a spectacular OP or anything, but a bit of effort is always appreciated!

Hell I'll do it, why not, just have to update the models, really.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So I assume the Chinese "waterproof and shatterproof" rumors are false since nothing was mentioned in the keynote.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

beanieson posted:

iPhone 5 question: I notice the battery drains like crazy anytime LTE is unavailable and I'm stuck using 4g. I'm frequently stuck in a building for work that has poor service (no LTE, 4g only) & just leaving it in my pocket within an hour the battery is down anywhere from 20-40%.

I never see battery drains this quickly except in this scenario, so I'm assuming that the phone is burning power by trying to constantly find an LTE tower? I've tried turning off LTE in this situation, thinking that the phone would be happy to simply remain on the 4g network but I don't see any significant result.

wtf should I do besides bring a charger with me in these situations (which isn't really an option anyway)?

How many bars do you get on 4G? It's just trying to increase its signal strength most likely. A poor connection on any band will drain the battery fast.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

New thread up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664222

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hey thanks!

• Locked thread