Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Qubee posted:

As someone who does not drink at all, is Chinese barbeque marinated in alcohol or something? Because twice now I've eaten it during my stay, and twice it has mildly affected me.

It reminds me of when I'd make bolognese, the red wine in the sauce would be enough to get me just the slightest bit tipsy.

You can keep an eye out for halal places, there's a lot of halal bbq stalls and they wont marinade with alcohol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
When I met goons in Chengdu years ago we had tibetan food and the butter tea, I really liked it!

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Butter tea is good but it's a mean in of itself

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

When I met goons in Chengdu years ago we had tibetan food and the butter tea, I really liked it!

Do you play basketball?????

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Wonton posted:

Do you play basketball?????

No but it was a fine day to quit my job!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Akratic Method posted:

Thanks, all! Good to know to maybe not let on I'm between jobs. But 10 days' processing even with a past criminal charge means this should probably be quite doable on a month's notice!

I probably will get a guide for a fair portion of the trip, possibly the whole thing outside of the top-tier cities, as long as it's not exorbitant. I don't know any Chinese, and presumably can't learn too much in the next six weeks (although I'll give a solid try)

Use an interpreter app - they work extremely well now. Not sure what app she was using (and probably people here have recommendations) but she had no issue going from the Vietnam border up to Dali by backpacking solo, making use of the new visa-free entry for some EU nationalities that got implemented at the beginning of the year. She even had a medical issue and had no issue in the hospital with complex medical vocabulary.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

A friend ended up inviting me to spend a couple weeks with her in Nepal instead, so I won't need to figure all this out just yet. But I do want to do China and I've made a note of all the suggestions, so thank you all!

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

uninterrupted posted:

Actually question for the thread, is there a Chinese yelp equivalent?

This is 大众點評 (DaZhong DianPing).
Many restaurants even have the thing where you scan in the app and they give you a free snack or drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hackjack posted:

This is 大众點評 (DaZhong DianPing).
Many restaurants even have the thing where you scan in the app and they give you a free snack or drink.

Yeah, it's also like Groupon in that you can get certain 1-person/4-person etc set meals on there for a discounted price.

E: BTW the simplified form is 大众点评