Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
or these two could take their conversation elsewhere

mind-bending suggestion I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
this loving derail

KingSlime posted:

what a terrible derail

I spent $400 on prescription glasses, having bad vision is supremely BWM. I might give goon-darling zenni optical a shot but I'm not sure how I feel about a mega discount online prescription glasses store...

Zenni is cool and good. I made a BWM decision years ago where I paid for expensive brand-name frameless glasses at the suggestion of my optometrist. About a year and a half later, one of the arms broke off. I went back to the optometrist and they said repairs would basically be 75% of the cost of the glasses in the first place.

I went on Zenni and got another frameless pair that ended up lasting 3 years, for about 10% of the price.

Buying glasses at the same time you get your Rx is BWM.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"Bad With Money: That is a lovely thing to think, and I disagree with it."

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Zamujasa posted:

this loving derail

Zenni is cool and good. I made a BWM decision years ago where I paid for expensive brand-name frameless glasses at the suggestion of my optometrist. About a year and a half later, one of the arms broke off. I went back to the optometrist and they said repairs would basically be 75% of the cost of the glasses in the first place.

I went on Zenni and got another frameless pair that ended up lasting 3 years, for about 10% of the price.

Buying glasses at the same time you get your Rx is BWM.

The internet consensus seems to be if you have reason to be seen in person for specialized measurements, go for Costco, otherwise save buckets of money and do Zenni.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does Warby Parker suck or something? I made a BWM decision last time and got cheap frames at Walmart. By the time they added the more expensive lenses (I forget the term, the thinner lenses that would otherwise be coke bottles) they were more expensive than Warby Parker.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ghostnuke posted:

holy poo poo just close the thread already

This thread sucks. There should be a policy that if you post in any way about yourself or your godawful opinions, it needs to be directly related to some hilarious BWM. If you ask lovely offtopic questions about how to pack your lunches or whatever, get banned for a while.

Every time I come back to this thread it's 50 posts of absolute poo poo. Like I'm sure I've contributed to some of these derails but at some point, maybe go post in D&D instead of constantly derailing this thread?

Some content:

quote:

I got a notice from the bank about 6 months ago from this institution asking what I wanted to do with it since there's been no activity, but now that I'm ready to roll it over, I can't find the notice. I don't know what employer it could have been, and I don't know what bank is holding my money. Is there any magic way to find out what banks have my money?

lol where is my money

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The internet consensus seems to be if you have reason to be seen in person for specialized measurements, go for Costco, otherwise save buckets of money and do Zenni.

So for a slightly less awful derail: What measurements matter? How do I figure out what size / positioning I need to use an internet glasses provider, after I get my prescription? My BWM puppy BWMomnomnom'd my glasses, and now I need a new pair of both lenses and frames.

Do we have a thread for this sort of thing floating around somewhere?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sundae posted:

So for a slightly less awful derail: What measurements matter? How do I figure out what size / positioning I need to use an internet glasses provider, after I get my prescription? My BWM puppy BWMomnomnom'd my glasses, and now I need a new pair of both lenses and frames.

Do we have a thread for this sort of thing floating around somewhere?

It looks like there are a couple threads in YLLS that might fit your needs

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure that would be one of the first three questions on such website's faq duder.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Barry posted:

This thread sucks. There should be a policy that if you post in any way about yourself or your godawful opinions, it needs to be directly related to some hilarious BWM. If you ask lovely offtopic questions about how to pack your lunches or whatever, get banned for a while.

Every time I come back to this thread it's 50 posts of absolute poo poo. Like I'm sure I've contributed to some of these derails but at some point, maybe go post in D&D instead of constantly derailing this thread?

Some content:

lol where is my money

I don't think you can really appreciate the special, enduring charm of this thread, a large part of it being frequent and sometimes very entertaining derails. It's literally been exactly like this for years.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

What a fun day so far in the BWM thread!

I'm going to close the thread for a little bit because I don't want to mod today's dust-up on my phone while I'm half able to pay attention at work. I'll take a look later this evening and sort things out.

I have also been thinking for a couple weeks about rebooting the BWM thread, or at least implementing a basic rule or two. Have ideas about the direction you'd like to see this thread go in the future? PM me (preferred) or email BYOB.psl@Gmail.com and I'll happily take your thoughts under consideration.

P.S. even if your thought is "don't make any rules," let me know. Even if your thought is "you're doing a bad job modding," let me know that too (a "why" would be helpful though)!

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 1, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thanks from me and the derail bird to everyone who has shared something so far. We're examining the responses very closely.

http://i.imgur.com/f8bq31k.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Please drop what you're doing and check out the new Bad With Money thread right away!

• Locked thread