Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

I only recently passed the 15k mark on my Mk7.5 GTI I bought in 2020. Got several big road trips lined up later this year at least.

I have around 32k on my 2017, and 15k of that was in the first year. It’ll probably turn into rust before I put 100k on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Roundup Ready posted:

Just got a call from the shop and I'm pretty sure my GTI is totaled. After fixing the cam sensor and oil leak it's still coding. Chain and timing is apparently hosed, and they quoted me over 6k to fix it. No friggin way can I afford that, nor is it even with it at that point. gently caress.

Is the engine generally a total loss when this happens? I never kept up with that engine generations problems so I don’t know. That sounds like a quote for a full engine replacement though. Sorry to hear the bad news, that poo poo sucks

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I bought my fiesta in November 2022 and I’ve put about 15k miles on it so that’s 12k per year or so. That tracks.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have a very short commute to work. I bought my fiesta in 2017 and i just cracked 22k

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol I bought my Fiesta in late 2021 with ~78k and I just cracked 124k. Roughly 18k miles per year.

I either need my turbo taken apart and fixed or fully replaced, and I’m looking at $1-3k to do it.

Car drives great otherwise (and even the turbo failure is intermittent enough that it still usually makes boost, or at least enough boost), barring catastrophe I’m planning to take it to 250k-300k or higher which is what the engine is apparently rated for before FERD recommends refurbishment. Probably gonna sandblast or replace the subframe before that happens tho :ohdear:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i have a very short commute to work. I bought my fiesta in 2017 and i just cracked 22k

I'm fully WFH so I've put about 7k miles total in my Type-R since buying it in 2022. I bought it at 13k miles and it just cracked 20k last month.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have 9100 miles on my 2019 GTI. It's paid off so I keep thinking about buying a new car and I have to keep telling myself I never drive so what's the point.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My 05 S2000 should break 15k miles this year.

I've put around 27k miles on the 330i I bought last August...

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I've put 4k km on since I bought the A35, so right on track for 15k miles a year. That said, the first couple months of a fun new car you tend to drive a bit more so it'll probably settle down to about 10-12k km.

The absolute annihilation the value of my A4 took due to mileage has me being more stressed about depreciating this into the ground with high kms.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
The M2 has 7,000 miles on it, and the Toyota Matrix has 190,000.

So both are still new.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

DoesNotCompute posted:

I've put 4k km on since I bought the A35, so right on track for 15k miles a year. That said, the first couple months of a fun new car you tend to drive a bit more so it'll probably settle down to about 10-12k km.

The absolute annihilation the value of my A4 took due to mileage has me being more stressed about depreciating this into the ground with high kms.

Are German cars back to 50%+ depreciation as they approach warranty?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sitting at 15k in my ‘19 Fiesta. My Saturn Vue has 262k and climbing, so it’s easy to justify making the number go up and keeping the Fiesta minty.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fiesta is the daily, everything else is occasional use.

I installed a rear spoiler riser kit. I had to trim 2” off the antenna so it wouldn’t scrape. It’s 2mm away now. We will see if it really keeps the back window any cleaner.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Fiesta is the daily, everything else is occasional use.

I installed a rear spoiler riser kit. I had to trim 2” off the antenna so it wouldn’t scrape. It’s 2mm away now. We will see if it really keeps the back window any cleaner.

Gotta install the stubby antenna. Like $20 off Amazon. I put one on my FoST a few years ago, makes it look less like an rc car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

$20 is more than $0 though

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

:hmmyes:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Are the brake pads on a Mk7 Golf R something I can do myself, or a shop job? I'm reasonably handy with a wrench, did my own HPFP.

Video makes it look pretty easy, since I don't think I need to replace my rotors.

edit: first shop quote is 390 for the fronts, 295 for the rears for ceramic pads (less dusty). Probably gonna do that rather than gently caress with it since I don't have a lift.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 11, 2024

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Deviant posted:

Are the brake pads on a Mk7 Golf R something I can do myself, or a shop job? I'm reasonably handy with a wrench, did my own HPFP.

Video makes it look pretty easy, since I don't think I need to replace my rotors.

edit: first shop quote is 390 for the fronts, 295 for the rears for ceramic pads (less dusty). Probably gonna do that rather than gently caress with it since I don't have a lift.

Brake pads are one of the easier DIY jobs, sounds like you wouldn't have any trouble with them.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Hmm. Looks like I just need a compressor, a hook, and my standard wrenches/sockets? Just wondering if it'll be a pain with the car just on a jack stand vs a full lift, and how many hours it'll take me vs someone more practiced.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Impeccable logic.

Deviant posted:

Hmm. Looks like I just need a compressor, a hook, and my standard wrenches/sockets? Just wondering if it'll be a pain with the car just on a jack stand vs a full lift, and how many hours it'll take me vs someone more practiced.

First time will be a poo poo show that takes twice as long as it "should" and all subsequent times will be much faster.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Midjack posted:

Impeccable logic.

First time will be a poo poo show that takes twice as long as it "should" and all subsequent times will be much faster.

Makes sense. I'll probably end up at the shop, I don't have a ton of capacity right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Deviant posted:

Hmm. Looks like I just need a compressor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Bzvtr2SmU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i dunno, taking my car into the shop keeps adding up numbers

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I did both front brake pads on my Saturn in 45 minutes including all cleanup, which is a personal best. You should really change em yourself OP.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I did both front brake pads on my Saturn in 45 minutes including all cleanup, which is a personal best. You should really change em yourself OP.

Hmm, if I do, i want an aftermarket brand that generates less loving dust but doesn't sacrifice performance. Anyone?

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Question for mini owners. Since my GTI is basically grounded while I figure things out, I'm trying to get an 08 Cooper s roadworthy again. It needs a new battery, but I'm seeing conflicting accounts online about needing to have a tech program it, which I obviously lack to equipment to do. I saw something about an IBS (lol) system, which seems like a little box attached to the negative terminal, which I do not have. Any advice? Don't want to go but a battery and swap it for it to not work. Really glad I was lazy and never got around to selling it now that my primary is functionally f'd for a while.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Posted this in the VW thread as well, but I think I'll do this myself with a nice set of akebonos and some new vented rotors.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Roundup Ready posted:

Question for mini owners. Since my GTI is basically grounded while I figure things out, I'm trying to get an 08 Cooper s roadworthy again. It needs a new battery, but I'm seeing conflicting accounts online about needing to have a tech program it, which I obviously lack to equipment to do. I saw something about an IBS (lol) system, which seems like a little box attached to the negative terminal, which I do not have. Any advice? Don't want to go but a battery and swap it for it to not work. Really glad I was lazy and never got around to selling it now that my primary is functionally f'd for a while.

If your battery’s negative cable has an electronics box on it near the battery terminal then yes you’ll need to use a diagnostic tool to tell the IBS that you’ve replaced the battery so that the alternator charges it properly. If that box isn’t there then no IBS and no calibration required.

On early 2nd generation ‘new’ Minis (2007-2010) odds are there will not be an IBS module.

If your car does have the IBS module it can be managed using BimmerLink (tell IBS that your replaced the battery with a new one of the same spec) and Bimmercode (tell car you have a different Ah battery from stock).

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 13, 2024

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Arishtat posted:

If your battery’s negative cable has an electronics box on it near the battery terminal then yes you’ll need to use a diagnostic tool to tell the IBS that you’ve replaced the battery so that the alternator charges it properly. If that box isn’t there then no IBS and no calibration required.

On early 2nd generation ‘new’ Minis (2007-2010) odds are there will not be an IBS module.

If your car does have the IBS module it can be managed using BimmerLink (tell IBS that your replaced the battery with a new one of the same spec) and Bimmercode (tell car you have a different Ah battery from stock).

Thank you! I've been putting this stupid battery off for ages because the only place that did the programming wanted to charge something like 400bux for a battery. I did a deep dive today, and I do not have the IBS, so going to either hit up O'Reilly's tomorrow, or just have AAA come do it, since it's like 15 dollars difference and I don't have to deal with the core charge and return. Wish I had looked into this harder ages ago

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Again, glad I was lazy though, since my GTI might be outta commission for a while. At least with some basic work/tabs/insurance stuff I'll at least have a usable vehicle for a bit. Going to get the battery figured tomorrow, then work on tabs and whatnot after. Have an oil change and fluid scheduled early next week. More than I wanted to spend, but at least it's better than trying to figure out a new car.

Thing has been sitting for close to two years, so I'm sure there's some gunk built up that will take some time to clear out. Tires were still roughly at pressure and it still seems to run pretty smoothly.

Roundup Ready fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 13, 2024

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Sounds like an Italian tune up is in order.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Replaced the battery today and the mini lives again! Now just to get tabs, swap insurance, rotate the tires, oil/fluids...

Cars suck sometimes.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Roundup Ready posted:

Replaced the battery today and the mini lives again! Now just to get tabs, swap insurance, rotate the tires, oil/fluids...

Cars suck sometimes.

Nice, it's good to hear about a 2nd generation Mini going back on the road!

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Arishtat posted:

Nice, it's good to hear about a 2nd generation Mini going back on the road!

Got the battery, tabs, and insurance taken care of. And I got it a basic carwash today. Taking it in for the oil and fluid change tomorrow. It's got a few alarms on the dash, but praying like hell they go away tomorrow. Only 87k on an 08 is pretty cool though, if I can get her up and running proper

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

reminds me it's about time to have the golf detailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

What the heck is an exhaust scoop?

It's an intake scoop run through my ADHD brain. Looks cool and sucks in cold air. We got one as a wedding present.