Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RhandomAccess
Oct 26, 2010

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody.
I'll be finishing out a transatlantic cruise in September in Boston and I have about 10hrs to kill before my flight leaves. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...
I'm sure someone local can provide better alternatives, but the subway from Logan (T rail) makes a stop at "Faneuil Hall". It's a small area but has a really good Irish pub "The Black Rose" right as you come up the escalator. In addition, there is a marketplace with a bunch of food shops - and of course clam chowder. 10hrs is a long time but I'm one of those that would sit and drink in the airport so as not to "miss the flight". From Faneuil Hall is a short cab ride back to the airport if you cant find your way back to the subway.

http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/

I'd say go the north end if you are interested in some history. The church was interesting and it was nice to walk around the cemetery. They even had an old guy dressed in colonial garb supplementing his retirement by giving tours. He was enthusiastic and my family enjoyed his history lesson.

http://www.oldnorth.com/visit_us/

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008
I'd go to the JFK presidential library.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The Museum of Fine Art just got a new wing added last year that's quite nice. Plus right now they have an exhibit on SAMURAI.

Edit: They also have some cool looking exhibits about the Qur'an and Chinese lacquer.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 19, 2013

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Go on a treasure hunt http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196

No but really. If you like art, check out the MFA. If you're into old buildings and history, you can start at the Commons and stroll the freedom trail for awhile. It takes you past some neat historic spots.

RhandomAccess
Oct 26, 2010

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody.
thanks for the ideas. I need to go from the boat to the plane anyways, so I figured I might as well take the long way. Appreciate the information.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Only ten hours? :psyduck:

* - Harvard University is fun to explore, especially all their museums, which are just full of treasure. Their Museum of Natural History is the most famous and justly so; it's home to the stunning Blaschka Glass Flowers and hundreds of specimens I could spend all day sketching. Harvard Square itself is a fun place you could easily kill a lot of time in.

* - I haven't had a chance to see it myself but the New England Aquarium just finished a major refurbishment, making one of the best attractions in the northeast even better.

* - Do you enjoy good beer? How about the tastiest pretzels ever made by a human? Harpoon recently opened a gorgeous new beer hall serving up exactly that. Spring for a tour; I've done brewery tours in both Boston and Portland, ME and Harpoon's tasting at the end is by far the most generous.

* - And of course you could always do super-touristy things like hike the Freedom Trail, visit the U.S.S. Constitution, the Duck Tour, the Fenway Park tour, and so forth. Whatever you do, have a great time!

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Do the Freedom Trail. It will cover the "downtown" parts of Boston, with all of its different styles (Historical, Irish, Italian, business, park areas, etc.) and histories (cool cemeteries with lots of famous dead people and the historic buildings like Old North Church, Fanueil Hall, etc.) in a way that you wouldn't get if you chose to do one or two sites. Start at Bunker Hill and try to make as many of the sites going south and west as you can until the time you have to make it to the airport, which is easily accessible by the subway/bus system.

THAT'S how you do Boston.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
The Freedom Trail is worth the cost. You will see all the sites you can see on your own but the tour guide is very informative and entertaining even if you aren't that into history.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Old Crows posted:

I'm sure someone local can provide better alternatives, but the subway from Logan (T rail) makes a stop at "Faneuil Hall". It's a small area but has a really good Irish pub "The Black Rose" right as you come up the escalator. In addition, there is a marketplace with a bunch of food shops - and of course clam chowder. 10hrs is a long time but I'm one of those that would sit and drink in the airport so as not to "miss the flight". From Faneuil Hall is a short cab ride back to the airport if you cant find your way back to the subway.

Just to clarify here, Faneuil Hall itself is a historic building and kind of an unofficial name for the area surrounding it; it's a worthwhile place to check out but is also considered like, the definition of touristy by folks who live here. Tons of douchey bars that cater to out of towners and your typical mall-style shops like the Gap and Banana Republic, etc.

The T stop that Old Crows is talking about is actually the Aquarium stop on the blue line, which does continue to the airport and beyond. The Faneuil area is also accessible by Haymarket on the Orange and Green lines, and a short walk from State (blue/orange) and Government Center (blue/green).

The Black Rose is a decent enough place but nothing to write home about in my book. I agree largely with Rahonavis' suggestions, particularly the Harpoon beer hall since it's right by the cruise terminals

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Don't forget that you can do the Freedom Trail yourself, as the trail is VERY, VERY well marked by the red bricks that meander through town. There are maps on the website too.

I did the trail with my wife, by ourselves in 28*F crazy snow this spring and felt like I was maybe missing a little, but not a whole bunch given that we had a printout with all the places listed and a little blurb about each.

Also +1 on duck tours. We did the one that is parked outside of where the bombing happened this year (can't remember the name of the mall).

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

yeah, the freedom trail is absolutely not anything you have to pay for.

LaserWash you're thinking of the Prudential Center, but that's not where the bombings were.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Hey, so I'll be visiting some friends in Boston this weekend, and all of us are relatively new to the city, any ideas on things to do or places to eat? Also, what's parking like in the city? Taking the train would take forever but I'm not sure where to put my car for a few days.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Direwolf posted:

Hey, so I'll be visiting some friends in Boston this weekend, and all of us are relatively new to the city, any ideas on things to do or places to eat? Also, what's parking like in the city? Taking the train would take forever but I'm not sure where to put my car for a few days.

don't drive into Boston if you're not used to it. You can park at the Alewife red line stop for a few days and just take the T and/or bus from place to place. Where are you coming from?

What kind of food do you like?

SleepyBandit
Dec 1, 2005

its a dog
Well it was a couple months ago that RA was planning on going but... Hit up Fanuiel Hall. Don't go to Cheers. Rats run rampant there, I've seen them it's absolutely nasty. Or awesome if you are watching people eat there.

cats
May 11, 2009
Jumping in on this thread - I'm about to accept a job offer near Boston starting in mid-February - tell me where to live (cheaply)!

The job's actually in Norwood, but I'd like to live closer to/in the city, I think. It's my first real job out of college, I'm just starting to put a tentative budget together but I think I'll be able to afford a max monthly rent of ~$900? Obviously the cheaper the better though. Can I find places for ~$600-700? I'd be looking a one-bedroom or maybe a two-bedroom apartment and find a roommate at some point, not too crazy about moving into an existing living situation. The HR lady suggested looking at Brookline, Newton, and South End, and also Quincy, Sharon, Easton, Norwood, Westwood, Medfield, Millis, Canton. I think that second list is mostly suburby, right? Not sure I'm into that.

Uhh what else? I'm 23, female, living near Chicago right now so I'm used to cold and misery. I'll have a car but I'd like to be near public transport (if it's good in Boston) and nightlife things. I don't want a super long commute. 40 minutes MAX. Which way does the traffic usually go in the mornings/evenings? Like, if I'll be working south of the city and living/near the city, would I be going with or against traffic in my commute?

Thanks!

cats fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 26, 2013

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Your HR lady doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. The first three places she recommended are some of the most expensive in the area, and the others are wayyyy suburby and not at all what you're probably looking for.

EDIT: except Quincy. That might work for you

Riptor fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 26, 2013

cats
May 11, 2009

Riptor posted:

Your HR lady doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. The first three places she recommended are some of the most expensive in the area, and the others are wayyyy suburby and not at all what you're probably looking for.

EDIT: except Quincy. That might work for you

Yeah to be fair to her she's located at the company corporate headquarters here in IL, and the second list was from someone at the Norwood location but I'm assuming it was a real adult person who could afford these things. Upon revisiting my budget I can max out at about $1200/mo for rent. Affordable, but not preferable.

cats fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 26, 2013

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Ah gotcha. It's gonna be tough finding a one bedroom for $1200/mo, that's more in the realm of studio apartment prices in most parts of Boston.

Most people in your situation would probably do well to look in Somerville or Medford, but those are north of Boston and therefore in the worst conceivable location commute-wise for you, since you'd either have to take 93 south through Boston (inadvisable) or 128/95 around Boston to Norwood (you will want to kill yourself and everyone on the road immediately). I'd recommend you look to live with at least one other person in Quincy or Jamaica Plain. Quincy is its own city southeast of Boston but on the red line of the T and while not exactly a hot spot of activity it's pretty well positioned to become the next Somerville in a lot of ways in terms of affordability and accessibility to downtown Boston. Jamaica Plain is a neighborhood of Boston and home to tons of hipsters and all the awesome bars and restaurants that come with that. Both places are pretty car-friendly but still connected to mass transit so it's a good balance of not being right downtown but also not being out in the boonies.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
I lived in Quincy for a year and am moving back there in the spring. Anything in that corridor from Brighton-Allston to Fenway is going to be a pain in the rear end to live due to 1) fighting with all of the college kids for reasonably-priced and decent quality apartments and 2) you'll need a car to work in Norwood and parking is a nightmare.

Quincy really is your best bet: the red line takes you right into the city and has parking at most of its stops, you're a much quicker ride to the beach when the weather warms up, a 30-minute ride to work, etc. Plus the bar scene there is the best out of all neighborhoods south of the city.

I lived in a really nice two-bedroom for $2600 total around the Quincy/Braintree border that was right off 93 but it was a little too swanky for what I needed, and there's plenty more decent places in that $1000-1200 range in Quincy proper.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

oh, and just so you're aware, it's pronounced 'Quinzy'. no S sound

Weiz
Dec 12, 2003
Fishman is not just an understanding financial organisation.
I have a question for anybody familiar with Boston: I was there on holiday recently and saw some stonework of sorts on the outside of the Museum of Science facing toward the Charles river. Does anybody know what they are?

Pic for anyone that's interested http://tinypic.com/r/2a78qw0/5

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Pianist On Strike posted:

Yeah to be fair to her she's located at the company corporate headquarters here in IL, and the second list was from someone at the Norwood location but I'm assuming it was a real adult person who could afford these things. Upon revisiting my budget I can max out at about $1200/mo for rent. Affordable, but not preferable.

Digging this up to say live in Jamaica plains. Quincy kinda sucks if you're college aged whereas jp is cool on its own and is near enough to be an easy trip wherever in Boston.

And those are a sculpture by Theodore Bastillo. Astronomy man nature energy industry. See this link for his wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Cotillo_Barbarossa

Digger
Sep 22, 2005

Digger T. Turtle
Hoping to resuscitate this thread for a few questions. I will be visiting Boston with my girlfriend for 3 or 4 days somewhere between July 25-29. What is the best area to stay in? We are looking at either AirBnB or cheapish hotels/hostels so recommendations would be appreciated. We walk a lot and aren't afraid of public transport, so can cover a fair bit of ground in a day.
I have looked through this thread so far and besides the Freedom Trail and the Harpoon Brewery what else is top of the list to see and do? I would like to do the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, is it easy at all to do a day trip there from Boston? Should a trip to Fenway Park if schedules permit be a must do?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Digger posted:

Hoping to resuscitate this thread for a few questions. I will be visiting Boston with my girlfriend for 3 or 4 days somewhere between July 25-29. What is the best area to stay in? We are looking at either AirBnB or cheapish hotels/hostels so recommendations would be appreciated. We walk a lot and aren't afraid of public transport, so can cover a fair bit of ground in a day.
I have looked through this thread so far and besides the Freedom Trail and the Harpoon Brewery what else is top of the list to see and do? I would like to do the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, is it easy at all to do a day trip there from Boston? Should a trip to Fenway Park if schedules permit be a must do?

1) Fenway - only to see a game and only if you enjoy baseball. Go for the bleachers.

2) Accommodation - If you're airbnb'ing, Allston / Brookline and south Cambridge between MIT and Harvard should be good and presumably cheaper than something more central. You can easily walk into central Boston for the freedom trail stuff. Or you have any number of public transport options. If you're in Allston or Brookline you potentially have 3 green line trains (B, C, D lines) within walking distance. The Holiday Inn Express in Brookline used to be cheap, but there is a reason - it's a dump.

3) Springfield - you realise it's like 2/3 of the way across the state? Yes, you can get there and back though - get on the mass pike and stay on it. The problem is always getting in and out of Boston though. Assuming you drive, I would pick a work day, leave real early and get back before the rush.

4) Other stuff to do - Just a selection of random things. if you or the GF like museums, the MFA's collection is amazing - one of my favorites in the country and IMO better than the Met, at least to visit. You also have the Isabella Stewart Gardner about 100 meters away. Both are like 10 minutes' walk to Fenway, so if you're catching an evening game you can spend an afternoon (easily...) at the MFA/ISG and then wander over. Being a Goon, you should enjoy the Charlestown naval yard (USS Constitution etc). The Aquarium is cool and I gather it's had a refurb recently. The Arnold Arboretum in JP is nice, but you have to go to JP. Boston is ice cream mad - compare and contrast the leading contendahs by having awesome ice cream for lunch every day. There are lots of places to see close to the city as well. Salem and Cape Cod are obvious touristy things to do in summer, but if you only have a few days I wouldn't risk the traffic. Concord has Walden Pond, lots of historical poo poo and if you run or mountain bike (you can rent locally), you can throw in a morning at Estabrook Woods.

5) Don't go to Faneuil Hall or the market as an actual destination. It's 50% cringe-worthy retail trap and 50% office worker lunch option. You will see FH anyway if you do the Freedom Trail thing.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Salem is easily accessible by ferry and commuter rail though so you could head there without having to worry about traffic.

Obviously seeing a game is the optimal way to experience Fenway but if the sox are out of town or you can't get a ticket, I would recommend the tour of Fenway. It's really good and informative and you get to see tons of different parts of the park.

yeah you could do Springfield as a day trip but it's probably going to be a bit of a pain in the rear end and Springfield sucks in general but if you really like basketball then go for it i guess.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm headed to Boston for a cousin's wedding on September 12th - I'll be at Logan airport about noon on Friday, and am staying in Foxboro. I'll have pretty much all day to do stuff on Friday, and the wedding is pretty much all day Saturday so won't be able to do much then.

I'm sure traffic is Chicago-esque in the city, so I'd like to plan out something to do on Friday. Where can I easily park and then walk or take the subway and then find something to do? I'll have a rental car for the weekend, but figure trying to drive in the city will be a nightmare, as reinforced by some of the posts in this thread.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

You definitely should not drive straight into the downtown area, but from where you're coming from you could pretty easily drive to the Forest Hills orange line stop in Jamaica Plain (JP). You can take the orange line into downtown boston in a short amount of time, and from there you can do whatever - freedom trail, etc etc.

EDIT: oh wait, are you saying you'd go to your hotel in Foxboro first, or are you asking where you could drive and park from the airport?

Baby Battering Ram
Sep 9, 2006
Snipes! Snipes! Long legged Snipes!
If you want to park out of the city and on the way toward Foxboro you could park along the Red Line. Quincy Adams has a big garage and is right at the 93/3/128 split. Then you would be taking the train back into the city but already be parked outside the worst of the traffic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Riptor posted:

You definitely should not drive straight into the downtown area, but from where you're coming from you could pretty easily drive to the Forest Hills orange line stop in Jamaica Plain (JP). You can take the orange line into downtown boston in a short amount of time, and from there you can do whatever - freedom trail, etc etc.

EDIT: oh wait, are you saying you'd go to your hotel in Foxboro first, or are you asking where you could drive and park from the airport?

Nah, I'll be spending the day in Boston then headed to the hotel at the end, so right outside the city. I was looking at the Freedom Trail - thanks for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

Nah, I'll be spending the day in Boston then headed to the hotel at the end, so right outside the city. I was looking at the Freedom Trail - thanks for that!

Oh ok. My recommendation is just don't pick up your rental car that early. Take the T into town from the airport then just take it back when you're done and get the car. It's a 10 min ride either way

• Locked thread