Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I like black forest ham for my sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm a ham fan too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you wouldn't cram a ham

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

nice ham, would be a shame if someone put it between an “s” and an “e”

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
On the long path to building my ideal custom ham radio, got a design for the actual radio but doing all the accessories first to make sure I nail the UI. then the actual radio stuff can be designed around that and it might actually fit together at the end

got this Harris RF-5980 speaker (great condition), now with entirely new internals

internal speaker is decent (flat to 8 kHz), and can plug in two handsets so testing with an H-350 and a Racal RA5000 noise canceling headset

main PCB ended up a bit messy, since I wanted plugs for all the major assemblies so there's a lot of individual looms but at least it's easy to work on.
STM32F103RE main processor (a bit poo poo by modern standards, but perfectly adequate). ADAU1701 audio DSP, and a WM8804 S/PDIF transceiver
ADAU1701 is also a bit old school now but it's super convenient

currently got working microphone amplification and speaker outputs, and when you PTT it makes little beeps and does talkback in the handset/headset. got the sound processing pretty well tuned after re-reading the last local QST script a few times to myself.

this thing will be the "hub" for the radio UI so it has a couple extra serial port outputs and can pass a second S/PDIF pair to an external headset/PTT in future

also found that: dinky SOT-23 1.8 V regulators will not power an ADAU1701, seems like it pulls a lot of current on startup

isolated DC/DC converters are kind of noisy in the audio band (who knew?) so tacked on some extra decoupling caps on the +/-15 V and added a set of 78/7912's to fully quiet the microphone amps down
the converter is mounted on a bracket next to the speaker with feed-through capacitors so I figured it'd be fine

WM8804 is a bit finicky to set up, but seems to work well enough when locked

somehow managed to gently caress up measuring the mounting hole spacing, but I just drilled two new holes and plugged the old ones

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

that's pretty cool, but you might consider adding more wire ties

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
how can this be four years ago it was always in the back of my mind

Captain Cool posted:

tally ho

36.421.rom offset 0x156 size 144
anyway my original plan was
1. get coordinates from rom
2. turn them into a 3d model somehow
3. unfold with pepakura
4. use the unfolded version as a template to bend and solder a literal wire frame

2 turned out to be openscad, specifically the polyhedron function

4 is on hold until I try some different methods to straighten wire. But in the meantime, as long as I have a 3d model...

The most satisfying part was making the exact debug I needed to define the faces
code:
    for(i=[0:len(tankPoints)-1])
    {
        translate(tankPoints[i]) sphere(r = r);
        translate(tankPoints[i]) color("red") text(str(i), size=50);
    }

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

outhole surfer posted:

that's pretty cool, but you might consider adding more wire ties

yeah this is just the quick and dirty prototype, will add more lacing wire before it's finished

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i am mad jealous of that lacing skill. makes anything look space-age

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i keep a spool of waxed cotton line around for lacing. back at the computer shop i slapped newegg parts together and fastidiously laced the psu, sata, all the wires and i am 100% sure that nobody ever noticed or appreciated my work and all those old athlon xp boxes are now in landfills, but it was not wasted effort.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

PokeJoe posted:

I cut some rocks today

how do I start doing this?

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

i keep a spool of waxed cotton line around for lacing. back at the computer shop i slapped newegg parts together and fastidiously laced the psu, sata, all the wires and i am 100% sure that nobody ever noticed or appreciated my work and all those old athlon xp boxes are now in landfills, but it was not wasted effort.

what kinda knot do you use when lacing cables?

is it the same kinda knot you're supposed to use when tying poly pull line to a cable?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

shackleford posted:

what kinda knot do you use when lacing cables?

is it the same kinda knot you're supposed to use when tying poly pull line to a cable?

there's infinitely wanky versions you can use but I basically do what they show here https://www.dairiki.org/hammond/cable-lacing-howto/
if you do it the right way around it'll self tighten as you pull along the cable, the wax/rubber in the cord kind of hardens after a while making it stay pretty well in place

IME those ridiculous termination stitches don't actually hold up to cable movement anyway (even when pro's do them) so I just do a bunch of laces right next to each other then use some glue on the ends

UV adhesive is pretty good since it soaks in and cures instantly, superglue can work, some types of clear silicon RTV also work but need a long curing time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

zokie posted:

how do I start doing this?

you just need cool rocks and a rock saw. I built my own but "diamond pacific" is the brand everyone gets. you want what's called a "trim saw" to cut small stones

e: it was way cheaper to build if you are confident in your diy skills. I used a CNC spindle motor, some bearings, a linkbelt, a 6" diamond aliexpress blade, and other various bits and bobs

I have a lapidary thread in DIY no one uses:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041671&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 28, 2024