Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

evol262 posted:

eBay servers were always cheap. They're also loud power hogs. Have you heard a C6100?

If you can live with that, great, get one.

The bigger servers are pretty nice, a DL380 Gen 8 is pretty quiet. 1U servers are usually loud, 2U is much better.

The Nexus switches we have sound like they are always on the verge of taking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The bigger servers are pretty nice, a DL380 Gen 8 is pretty quiet. 1U servers are usually loud, 2U is much better.

The Nexus switches we have sound like they are always on the verge of taking off.

2U is tolerable in a garage or basement. You'll probably hear 1U through the entire house. The "3 systems in 1 chassis" like the c6100 are some of the loudest I've ever heard.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Getting started on a lab so I can go from helpdesk to "why the gently caress is this goddamn thing so loud"

I know the OP pretty much starts with

Sepist posted:

:siren:YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO BUY A DELL POWEREDGE TO RUN VM'S! THEY'RE NOISY, HOT, POWER HUNGRY, AND NOISY. Seriously, you'd be better off with a quad i5/i7 and a lot of RAM.:siren:

but work is getting rid of R710s for $20 and that's a lot cheaper than building a system. Plus, I've wanted a rack server since Apple released the Xserve so gently caress you dad.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
God why do you people keep buying servers you confuse me so much. Just slap a bunch of memory in whatever desktop you're already using, call it LAB1, do the same thing for LAB2 down the line, hook them to a switch, and that's your lab.

e: this post has been made from

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
not ECC RAM I take it?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you have never gotten hands on with rack mount gear ever, and won't have the chance at work, there is some value in that I guess. Take the thing apart and put it back together a few times. Marvel at how cool and good hot swappable parts are. I just ripped out a hard drive or PSU, and the thing stayed up!!

Then check your power bill, or realize you can hear the thing running from across the street. Resell it on eBay and build a bigger lab out of desktops or NUCs.

Is there an IT work room/lovely closet at your office where you could stash the thing and mess with it, instead of having to run it in your home?

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

God why do you people keep buying servers you confuse me so much. Just slap a bunch of memory in whatever desktop you're already using, call it LAB1, do the same thing for LAB2 down the line, hook them to a switch, and that's your lab.

e: this post has been made from

My only personally owned computer is a MBP and $20 is $20.

Docjowles posted:

If you have never gotten hands on with rack mount gear ever, and won't have the chance at work, there is some value in that I guess. Take the thing apart and put it back together a few times. Marvel at how cool and good hot swappable parts are. I just ripped out a hard drive or PSU, and the thing stayed up!!

Then check your power bill, or realize you can hear the thing running from across the street. Resell it on eBay and build a bigger lab out of desktops or NUCs.

Is there an IT work room/lovely closet at your office where you could stash the thing and mess with it, instead of having to run it in your home?

It's not as loud as I thought it would be (outside of booting) and once it get it set up, it's going into the basement where I'll only ever look at it if I'm upgrading something on it. As for power... well yeah, I can't really argue there. Use plebes on the helpdesk don't have many options for setting up our own stuff at work so it has to live at home

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

This.

$20 for an R710 is a hot deal. Buy and resell, then build a lab out of NUCs or whatever.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also I just realized that I left "get super drunk, order a set of rails at random, and force them into the rack any way you can" off the list of important rackmount server activities. Because lord knows whoever built the racks you're going to be servicing some day did exactly that. Coming out of the data center looking like you just lost a bare-knuckle boxing match is a critical career milestone.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Docjowles posted:

Also I just realized that I left "get super drunk, order a set of rails at random, and force them into the rack any way you can" off the list of important rackmount server activities. Because lord knows whoever built the racks you're going to be servicing some day did exactly that. Coming out of the data center looking like you just lost a bare-knuckle boxing match is a critical career milestone.

I'm a big fan of the "rails don't fit, guess we will just set it on top of this other thing that's mounted with working rails" approach where you end up with one set of rails supporting four or five pieces of equipment.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

big money big clit posted:

I'm a big fan of the "rails don't fit, guess we will just set it on top of this other thing that's mounted with working rails" approach where you end up with one set of rails supporting four or five pieces of equipment.

Docjowles posted:

I have had to do both of these things. I've also had to force rails somewhat because the idiot before me used the wrong rails and mangled the rack so the new rails didn't fit quite right.

As for sitting stuff ontop of other stuff, I've had to do that myself, but I did go back a week later and fix it up properly!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Yo, there is an intel UNC (skull-evily version) NUC6i7KYK coming up on prime sale for those looking for a cheap box to do stuff on

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DJ9XS52

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I'm looking for a layer 3 switch with four 10g SFP+ ports in addition to regular copper 1G ports. I see some Juniper boxes that look good but I'm cautious because I assume L3 features are license based so I'd prefer not to drop a grand only to find out the box doesn't have the appropriate licensing. Is this assumption correct, and are there any other options I'm not thinking of? I'm running Ubiquiti gear currently but I'm not married to it by any means.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What L3 features do you need? 4x 10Gb and 48x 1Gb switches are pretty common now, there must be a specific Broadcom chipset and reference design that makes them easy to do and dirt cheap.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I'm not really doing anything crazy. Pretty much if it can do basic routing and OSPFv2 I'd be set.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you hate HP?

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/networking/networking-switches/pip.overview.networking-switches.1008995546.html

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

H2SO4 posted:

I'm looking for a layer 3 switch with four 10g SFP+ ports in addition to regular copper 1G ports. I see some Juniper boxes that look good but I'm cautious because I assume L3 features are license based so I'd prefer not to drop a grand only to find out the box doesn't have the appropriate licensing. Is this assumption correct, and are there any other options I'm not thinking of? I'm running Ubiquiti gear currently but I'm not married to it by any means.

EX switches do not require a license for L3. JunOS is really good, you should give them a shot.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

big money big clit posted:

EX switches do not require a license for L3. JunOS is really good, you should give them a shot.

I was kind of hoping that was the case, but when looking at the datasheet I see stuff like

quote:

"An optional enhanced license is available for supporting
additional L3 protocols such as OSPF, Internet Group
Management Protocol (IGMP v1/v2/v3), Protocol Independent
Multicast (PIM), Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD),
and Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)."

on the EX2300 datasheet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have setup some EX 2200-C doing OSPF for testing, just got a warning on commit about the license, still​ functioned fine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it needs a license then can you not just buy it with the license? Am I missing something obvious?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Thanks Ants posted:

If it needs a license then can you not just buy it with the license? Am I missing something obvious?

Nobody sells used enterprise network gear with licenses.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah OK, sorry it wasn't clear that you wanted it used. I think you might struggle slightly because the integrated SFP+ stuff hasn't quite been around long enough for people to be getting rid of.

What pricing are you seeing for 3750X with IP Services and the SFP+ module card? Junos is much nicer than the classic IOS that will run though.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Hmm, I'm seeing 775 for a 3750x with the 10G card installed, I might throw a lowball out and see what happens. That's just with IP Base though - the feature sets are all based on license and not different firmware images anymore right? If so I'm looking at about $1500 for one running IP Services. I am in the middle of cranking out a CCNP so it wouldn't hurt to have some Cisco in the playground.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 22, 2017

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Force10 S4810P. 48 copper 1gig and four QSFP+ that can be adapted down to 16x SFP+. I've gotten them as cheap as $1200.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Not that it matters for a home lab, but has Force10 stuff gotten better? At my last job we had some old Force10 gear and it was Real Bad. Lots of weird bugs, and features that did not behave at all how the documentation indicated they should. Granted this was like 2014 and the devices were already 3-4 years old at that time, so I'd hope they've improved somewhat in the last 7 years. We ripped them all out for Juniper QFX series and never looked back.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Docjowles posted:

Not that it matters for a home lab, but has Force10 stuff gotten better? At my last job we had some old Force10 gear and it was Real Bad. Lots of weird bugs, and features that did not behave at all how the documentation indicated they should. Granted this was like 2014 and the devices were already 3-4 years old at that time, so I'd hope they've improved somewhat in the last 7 years. We ripped them all out for Juniper QFX series and never looked back.

They got bought by Dell. I have original Force10 stuff from before the acquisition that's fine. The S4810 is one of those. Stuff like the S60 and S25 are a little suspect especially at this point. The new Dell switches are pretty serviceable (N3048).

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I decided to bite the bullet and just get a 3750x with ip services license and the 10Gb module.

I, however, completely missed the fact that the 10Gb module doesn't provide four 10Gb ports. It provides two SFP and two SFP+ ports, meaning it only actually has two Te interfaces. I have four nodes I was planning to connect via 10Gb and eliminate the two other switches that are currently there. I went Cisco since I'm going through a CCNP study program and figured it'd be worth it to get some real world exposure in my lab.

gently caress.

Are there any IOS platforms that have four ten gigabit interfaces I should be looking for?

It looks like the 4948 has four SFP+ ports and are way cheaper even with ES images. They appear to be decent and have full IP routing support, so what am I missing?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I said this earlier about Juniper gear, unsure why you would care for home use.

Juniper posted:

In fact, all EX licenses are soft enforced, which means that they are not actually needed to run the features.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB24321

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Moey posted:

I said this earlier about Juniper gear, unsure why you would care for home use.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB24321

Yeah, I remember. I'd definitely be down for expanding into juniper gear since I've heard people love it but I want to have at least a little Cisco so that I can reinforce the CCNP stuff in my lab instead of just running through virtual labs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

H2SO4 posted:

Yeah, I remember. I'd definitely be down for expanding into juniper gear since I've heard people love it but I want to have at least a little Cisco so that I can reinforce the CCNP stuff in my lab instead of just running through virtual labs.

Ah yes, then carry on.

• Locked thread