Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It technically is THE most popular cyberpunk ttrpg :ssh: it's just coasting on the success of previous editions, and other Shadowrun media

I'm not sure that's true anymore. I think RED might have dethroned it. It's lived in the top selling games on DTRPG for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Liquid Communism posted:

Sadly that is completely normal for CGL. In 5e, one of the freelancers went out of his own frustration and organized a huge project of fan-generated errata and rules text corrections, handed it over to Jason Hardy just needing sign off, asking for nothing in return. It died on his desk because he couldn't be bothered to give a gently caress.

Oh my god. How can you care this little about something you're literally charged to take care of?

I refuse to give up on Shadowrun, and thanks to pegasus undying effort to fix the hot mess CGL created, I don't have to. However, it shouldn't be based in the coincidence of where I'm born to be able to enjoy it.
Unless CGL expects Shadowrun fans to learn German. Unironically I even know two Americans from the Shadowrun discord community who are doing exactly that, in an endless effort to fight CGL.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I mean I have mentioned that I did a translation of some parts of the State of the ADL book for 5e years ago. Mostly the new gear and martial art sections as I recall it.
Sadly my own german is terrible so it was mainly just Google Translate and then fixing/rewriting the awkward sections.
Even if there were a couple of parts that were so German that even translate wasn't able to parse it properly.

Heck, even seen it on PDF upload sites in the past so that fucker got spread around.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think the 5e errata Liquid mentioned also extended to Shadowrun Anarchy which also never got an official release, by which I mean "put up on the website."

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

I'm not sure that's true anymore. I think RED might have dethroned it. It's lived in the top selling games on DTRPG for ages.

After Bright I do not think there ever will be a piece of Shadowrun media released.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

that it's outselling the last two editions, I have no doubt. Are people playing it, though? There is so much less traffic in all of the online forums for it, and they didn't have any tables at gencon, so it's hard to guage its popularity.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ninjoatse.cx posted:

that it's outselling the last two editions, I have no doubt. Are people playing it, though? There is so much less traffic in all of the online forums for it, and they didn't have any tables at gencon, so it's hard to guage its popularity.

Well, I'm playing it. Although serious answer, I've seen more than a few channels streaming it the Discord is very active too but more than that I can't say.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bought Cyberpunk RED because of the game, and my impressions of it were that it was kinda weird. A skill for dressing up, and a skill for being cool? Also it seemed like vehicles were made of tissue paper. Needing an attribute at rating 8(?) to dodge bullets, when dodging seemed critical.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I bought Cyberpunk RED because of the game, and my impressions of it were that it was kinda weird. A skill for dressing up, and a skill for being cool? Also it seemed like vehicles were made of tissue paper. Needing an attribute at rating 8(?) to dodge bullets, when dodging seemed critical.

Cyberpunk 2020/RED leans more into the aesthetic of Cyberpunk, and the whole idea that the attitude is more important that the hardware, and that a well-timed rock concert can change the world.

It's just focusing on different aspects of the overall Cyberpunk genre than Shadowrun does.

And yes, CP2020 has always been clear that combat is dangerous, and your high-level tricked up character still needs to be worried about getting shot. Combat is deadly, so you can't just plant in the middle of the alley with a Vindicator and let fly.

I think Shadowrun still has the idea that you can't be outright killed in a single attack.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well... a well-timed rock concert and a suitcase nuke but hey, potayto, potahto.

I do give Cyberpunk 2020 credit for an approach to AI/the internet that plays out better than the miserable mishmash that is deckers and a much cleaner, more internally consistent approach to the Scary Lurking Things in the dark corners of the web. I don't feel like I have to fight against silo-ing off the decker or earnestly plead with my players to not even play one in the first place.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I'll also point out that Shadowrun is what you get when you love reading William Gibson and Tolkien.

Cyberpunk 2013 was what we got when Maximum Mike Pondsmith read William Gibson and watched anime. Specifically, in this case, Bubblegum Crisis. R. Talsorian was founded to publish Mekton 2e, and Maximum Mike also co-wrote the Bubblegum Crisis 2033 RPG. Most of R.Talsorian's games were anime based or themed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheCenturion posted:

I'll also point out that Shadowrun is what you get when you love reading William Gibson and Tolkien.

Cyberpunk 2013 was what we got when Maximum Mike Pondsmith read William Gibson and watched anime. Specifically, in this case, Bubblegum Crisis. R. Talsorian was founded to publish Mekton 2e, and Maximum Mike also co-wrote the Bubblegum Crisis 2033 RPG. Most of R.Talsorian's games were anime based or themed.

Oh, Mike hadn't read any Gibson when he did the first edition of Cyberpunk. He had in fact read another cyberpunk novel, Hardwired, which is very influential in general to the genre. I feel like it's where riggers come from. You've also got a lot of Blade Runner in there too. That said a lot is anime as Mike was one of those guys watching anime that wasn't even subbed in the 80's in college.

There is also a Cyberpunk thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954467

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
Isn't Hardwired what the I, Robot movie with will smith was actually based on?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheCenturion posted:

I think Shadowrun still has the idea that you can't be outright killed in a single attack.

same tier attack, if you as a street tier punk go up against a merc tier HTRT you still die

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, Mike hadn't read any Gibson when he did the first edition of Cyberpunk. He had in fact read another cyberpunk novel, Hardwired, which is very influential in general to the genre. I feel like it's where riggers come from. You've also got a lot of Blade Runner in there too. That said a lot is anime as Mike was one of those guys watching anime that wasn't even subbed in the 80's in college.

There is also a Cyberpunk thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954467

Riggers are a Shadowrun thing, not a Cyberpunk 2020 thing. I don't recall anything particularly rigger-like outside of Cyberpunk V3 and the Desnai altcult, but we don't talk about V3, so.....

And yes, you're right about Neuromancer, I was confusing it with Hardwired, and sometimes I'm sad that Headcrash by Bruce Bethke doesn't get nearly enough recognition.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fatrick posted:

Isn't Hardwired what the I, Robot movie with will smith was actually based on?

I don't think so. Hardwired's about a mercenary with an interface for his hovertank and a sex worker turned assassin teaming up against orbital corporations. It's not bad in a pulp-y sort of way. I can see where it sparked Max Mike's imagination.

TheCenturion posted:

Riggers are a Shadowrun thing, not a Cyberpunk 2020 thing. I don't recall anything particularly rigger-like outside of Cyberpunk V3 and the Desnai altcult, but we don't talk about V3, so.....

And yes, you're right about Neuromancer, I was confusing it with Hardwired, and sometimes I'm sad that Headcrash by Bruce Bethke doesn't get nearly enough recognition.

Rigger was too specific, but the book is where a guy has interface plugs to help him drive his machine better so that trickled down and turned into riggers. If you've played 2077, the bit with the Basilisk is basically the same thing.

As for Bethke, if it helps I tend to use his original definition of cyberpunk which is just 'low life good with technology' so I try to keep it with me.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
A very nice addition to my Old Shadowrun collection: the Denver box set! The little travel pass props are very fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

A very nice addition to my Old Shadowrun collection: the Denver box set! The little travel pass props are very fun.

Nice! It's a fun read, too. First big appearance of otaku, I think.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
Hardwired was a big influence on Cyberpunk and Pondsmith and Williams were close enough that they did this sourcebook.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/2275/HardWired-the-Sourcebook (And put the Delta orbital fighters in a Mekton book).

That said, Shadowrun drew much more directly… the Rigger template was a Panzerboy from the novel and the LAV tanks were literally called Panzers in the first few editions before being changed to “T-Birds”.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Dawgstar posted:

Nice! It's a fun read, too. First big appearance of otaku, I think.

I expect nothing less from Saint Nigel.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

bird food bathtub posted:

Well... a well-timed rock concert and a suitcase nuke but hey, potayto, potahto.

I think the point is that those things did not in fact change the world.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheCenturion posted:

Well, it's really hard to do in 5e and 6e because they (in two different, yet uniquely lovely ways) artificially capped successes to prevent it. SR3 or SR4? All day. I had more than one incident where the Sam in my game tried to shoot someone in the leg and didn't drop his dicepool, ended up reducing their lower body into a fine red mist.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, it's really hard to do in 5e and 6e because they (in two different, yet uniquely lovely ways) artificially capped successes to prevent it. SR3 or SR4? All day. I had more than one incident where the Sam in my game tried to shoot someone in the leg and didn't drop his dicepool, ended up reducing their lower body into a fine red mist.

Huh. In SR1 and 2, you simply couldn't die from a single attack. "D" or Deadly damage doesn't overflow into actual death. You'd be useless and bleeding out, but you'd survive being atomized.

Fields of Fire introduced the 'Over-Damage' rule to address this.

Fields of Fire posted:

As written, the SRII rules make it effectively impossible to kill an unwounded character with a single attack. In fact, an unwounded character can technically survive a nuclear blast at ground zero, because the nuke only does "D" damage with no overflow. Though such a result may look like an oversight, it was a deliberate choice to avoid the potential disappointment of having a player character taken down by a single attack, especially an unexpected attack or one against which the character cannot defend himself. In certain situations, however, this choice becomes ludicrous. In these cases, apply the following rule.

Normally, after a weapon's Damage Level has been staged up to "D," additional successes are ignored. If the Power of the attack is greater than twice (2x) the Body Rating of the target, the gamemaster may invoke the Over-Damage rule. With this rule, every 2 additional successes translate into 1 additional point of damage applied against the Physical Condition Monitor (if the attack was Deadly Stun) or Body Overflow (if the attack was Deadly Physical.) For example, using the Over-Damage rule, assume a character with a Body of 3 is struck by a 7M attack. The attacker stages the damage for a final Damage Level of Deadly, with an additional 4 successes remaining in the attacker's favor. The character takes a Deadly wound and 2 points of Body Overflow, leaving him with 1 point remaining and ten minutes until he bleeds to death. If the attacker had achieved 2 additional successes, the poor character would be instantly dead.

Use this rule cautiously: in addition to conveniently killing those nasty bad guys, this rule handily kills favorite player characters who might otherwise have narrowly survived to run the shadows another day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So in darkly hilarious moments, Jason R. Hardy and the new SR line dev, RJ Thomas did an AMA on Reddit. Nothing really new, but it did lead to me finding out something funnier than expected: the SR rights have gotten split even further.

In 2007, Tornante bought Topps. They sold Topps to Fanatics a couple years ago, including the SR and BT publishing rights... but Tornante kept the TV/Film rights.

So now we have the following:

VG rights - Microsoft, previously licensed to HBS.
Print rights - Topps, licensed to CGL.
TV/Film rights - Tornante, not interested in proposals.

One interesting thing, they're currently gearing up to do a 1e reprint for the anniversary, along with a better PDF release. Might do a 2e PDF release after, since the last time one was available was Bundle of Holding some time ago.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 23, 2024

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Tornante is Michael Eisner's latest company, and are probably best known for producing Bojack Horseman through their television arm. What else have they produced? Hard to say, because their Wiki page doesn't list that--it only lists their current holdings of other entertainment companies, which includes Omaze, Portsmouth Football Club, and... Taskrabbit? Which does not bode well for any Shadowrun television but is certainly appropriate for our grim cyberpunk present.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Liquid Communism posted:

One interesting thing, they're currently gearing up to do a 1e reprint for the anniversary, along with a better PDF release. Might do a 2e PDF release after, since the last time one was available was Bundle of Holding some time ago.

I hope I can get that reprint, the art and tone was exceptional.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Everything Counts posted:

Tornante is Michael Eisner's latest company, and are probably best known for producing Bojack Horseman through their television arm. What else have they produced? Hard to say, because their Wiki page doesn't list that--it only lists their current holdings of other entertainment companies, which includes Omaze, Portsmouth Football Club, and... Taskrabbit? Which does not bode well for any Shadowrun television but is certainly appropriate for our grim cyberpunk present.

I'd wonder if they weren't more interested in a Battletech show but... there doesn't seem to be any movement on that front either.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is there even any remotely possible thoughts of Shadowrun TV/Film? Seems weird to even have those rights out there. As much as I love Shadowrun I don't think there's studios jumping over each other to get it on screens.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Is there even any remotely possible thoughts of Shadowrun TV/Film? Seems weird to even have those rights out there. As much as I love Shadowrun I don't think there's studios jumping over each other to get it on screens.

Film rights get bought and sold for just about any story or setting out there. You're not wrong, though: whether they're worth anything or will ever see the light of day (or shadows of a run) is an entirely separate discussion. They might have had some currency in years past (even recent years past), but I expect that right now they could be used to settle the lunch debt if one company's C-suite took another one's out to a sufficiently nice lunch.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

If the much touted Warhammer show ever happens, and it gets popular, I'm sure there's going to be a mad scramble for other RPG licenses to use.
Especially if Hasbro decides to do a D&D series in the wake of its success.

Of course, that doesn't exactly mean it'll happen. But I figure there's going to be an announcement or two.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

There is always…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPGQoR6f6w

:haw:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Netflix did it; it was called 'Bright.' Had Will Smith, even. Also, the Cyberpunk: Edgerunners show, also on Netflix, given that Cyberpunk and Shadowrun were kind of dueling properties back in the day. Hmmm. Stretching a bit more, the movie Strange Days is about a BTL ring dealing in snuff.

That said, A Night's Work is the only Shadowrun live-action you'll ever need:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPGQoR6f6w

e; fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cassius Belli posted:

Film rights get bought and sold for just about any story or setting out there. You're not wrong, though: whether they're worth anything or will ever see the light of day (or shadows of a run) is an entirely separate discussion. They might have had some currency in years past (even recent years past), but I expect that right now they could be used to settle the lunch debt if one company's C-suite took another one's out to a sufficiently nice lunch.

Even more murky in this case as they didn't buy the rights, just kept them when selling Topps. Could just be a standard policy of theirs not to sell off those rights to any IP they touch.